Greg Penny interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating piece (and that's a very cool "room" he's set up). And unlike a lot of audio journalism, this is written with real flair.

We've heard it before, of course--already heard some of the results, in fact. But it's nice to be reminded:
He got on so well with Sir Elton (their friendship and work goes back decades) that he’s now painstakingly working through the artist’s back-catalogue to transform it from regular stereo to fully immersive Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 Reality Audio formats.

Last edited:
How different are Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 Reality Audio (minimum channels - speaker number, placement, polar response)?

Mainly, is it feasible to make 1 immersive mix and distribute it in both Atmos & 360RA (with minimal directionality loss)?

Kirk Bayne

How different are Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 Reality Audio (minimum channels - speaker number, placement, polar response)?

Mainly, is it feasible to make 1 immersive mix and distribute it in both Atmos & 360RA (with minimal directionality loss)?

Kirk Bayne
I believe sony 360 is for headphones as opposed to atmos having a minimum speaker set up of 5.1.2

I believe sony 360 is for headphones as opposed to atmos having a minimum speaker set up of 5.1.2
Sony 360 is both for discrete speaker Home Theater setup and for headphones.

The physical discrete speakers layout are different from the Atmos setup. 360RA includes the new 'low level' speakers, below standard fronts, in addition to the heights.

I read somewhere that the way mixing is done at the moment (as for 360 Tidal) is as 7.1.4 the same setup as Dolby Atmos. Someone must have thought that compatibility between systems would be a good idea.

BUT, they are promoting 360RA for the masses to be listened in virtualized binaural stereo for headphones, that is supposed to be the biggest potential market.

Back