Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe so. But at least you deliver pizza's!

Yep, this is my 20th year delivering pizzas for Domino's. Last night we had a huge flash flood and my car was in the middle of it and ended up dead in the water. Currently the car is at the garage and I won't know if they'll be able to get it started till Monday morning. Needless to say I'm taking today off.

@thebarnman I hope your car can be fixed or that your insurance is very good for a new to you car. I'm glad you are safe, and I hope your area has all people okay.

@thebarnman I hope your car can be fixed or that your insurance is very good for a new to you car. I'm glad you are safe, and I hope your area has all people okay.
Thanks! It turns out the engine has to be replaced, so now I wait to see what the adjuster from the insurance company has to say about getting the engine replaced as far as cost is concerned. It's a fairly new car; so I hope I don't have to start looking for another car again. I just bought this one about two months ago.

From time to time I will make this veggie barbecue for Mrs. Surround and me. I cook it in this copper grill wok. Veggies in the mix include yellow squash, green squash, sweet potato, red pepper, white onion and lots of mushrooms. I nuke the cut up sweet potato for 4 minutes before putting it on the barbie so that it gets soft.

In the past I used to marinate or baste the veggies prior to grilling. However, the owner of an olive oil farm suggested not basting with olive oil until just before taking the veggies or meat off of the grill...or even doing so afterwards. My wife and I both prefer the results when I cook the veggies in their own juices and baste about a minute before removing them from the wok. The simple baste includes olive oil with garlic powder, black pepper and parsley. We salt to taste afterwards.

After the veggies are done and kept warm in the oven, I cook chicken in the wok followed by either pork or beef. (Fortunately, the resident black bear has never come around to interfere with the backyard chef.)

Barbie.jpg

I'm needing some advice from you burger grilling aficionados out there.

I'll be grilling some burgers tonight and need them to hold together better on the grill. I don't want them to end up 'tight' textured either; but I've had this problem often, where they start to come apart on the grill. So what do others do about this problem?

Thanks! 🍔

I'm needing some advice from you burger grilling aficionados out there.

I'll be grilling some burgers tonight and need them to hold together better on the grill. I don't want them to end up 'tight' textured either; but I've had this problem often, where they start to come apart on the grill. So what do others do about this problem?

Thanks! 🍔
That seems odd my man. Generally, the only time I have issues with burgers falling apart are when:

* Hamburger that has been frozen for a long time and thawed out.....ice crystals can create a sort of watery texture...which is just gross.
* Shitty quality burgers.....

I always use 80/20, ground chuck or so. Pack into patties rather loosely, but make sure the edges are nicely rounded. Place patty between wax paper, remove top paper then flop it upside down on grill, removing the other wax paper. Leave it and does mess with it. Only turn it one time. Never more than once.

That seems odd my man. Generally, the only time I have issues with burgers falling apart are when:

* Hamburger that has been frozen for a long time and thawed out.....ice crystals can create a sort of watery texture...which is just gross.

I always use 80/20, ground chuck or so. Pack into patties rather loosely, but make sure the edges are nicely rounded. Place patty between wax paper, remove top paper then flop it upside down on grill, removing the other wax paper. Leave it and does mess with it. Only turn it one time. Never more than once.
Maybe it's a situation with the butcher's grind IDK, I also will only use fresh 80/20, form my burgers and, turn only once.

🥴 what a burger!!! Topped it with grilled Shallots and Jalapeños🌶️, lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, on Grilled Sesame Seed Kaiser Rolls and of course... slathered in BBQ sauce 😋

🥴 what a burger!!! Topped it with grilled Shallots and Jalapeños🌶️, lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, on Grilled Sesame Seed Kaiser Rolls and of course... slathered in BBQ sauce 😋
Good to hear it's making me hungry...
How did you solve the crumbling patty problem? I've only heard of adding an egg to help that but I've never tried that. I've had disintegrating pattys on the grill as well. Usually cuz I make them too thick & if a corner sticks then they break apart. And looks cooked on the outside but not inside. So now I try to make 'em more like quarter pounders.

Because of your earlier post I've spent way much time exploring patty press's which always seemed like a good idea to me. I learned that a burger press is like a home espresso maker... they run from dirt cheap to too expensive. Oh, and DIY.

Has anyone here used a press? Any tips or preferences if so? I can't find the brand today but yesterday I found a brand that needles perforated the patty to allow smoke & heat to get to the inside. Also they make a fun little press so you can form your own McRib patty. 😁

Good to hear it's making me hungry...
How did you solve the crumbling patty problem? I've only heard of adding an egg to help that but I've never tried that. I've had disintegrating pattys on the grill as well. Usually cuz I make them too thick & if a corner sticks then they break apart. And looks cooked on the outside but not inside. So now I try to make 'em more like quarter pounders.

Because of your earlier post I've spent way much time exploring patty press's which always seemed like a good idea to me. I learned that a burger press is like a home espresso maker... they run from dirt cheap to too expensive. Oh, and DIY.

Has anyone here used a press? Any tips or preferences if so? I can't find the brand today but yesterday I found a brand that needles perforated the patty to allow smoke & heat to get to the inside. Also they make a fun little press so you can form your own McRib patty. 😁
Glad you mentioned this, 'cause I went full on DIY Commando 🪖 on this problem.

I took one of our little 'Grab-It' bowls that has a glass lid. the inside dimensions of the glass lid are about 4 1/2" wide by 1" deep (perfect for 1/2 pound of burger.) Then I placed some stretch-tite into the lid. Then hand pressed the burger into that (also creating a a large dimple in the middle.) Once you've lifted out the first burger by the wrap, replace the stretch-tite into the lid for the next burger and repeat, the fat in the burger (again 80/20) will lube it up nicely so it wont stick to the stretch-tite. You could also probably use some non-stick spray or oil if you didn't want to use the plastic wrap. It did not come apart! But I do think it's ultra important to press the burger tight and not move it much while on the grill as Gene says.

Here's a photo-

GRAB-IT BOWL.jpg

My only question is, what kind (brand, flavor) of BBQ sauce?

Yes, indeed, good question. I seem to remember Pupster was a meat purist, abstaining from any sauce or the such. Occasionally that's me as well but sometimes the sauce can be a great compliment to the meat if it doesn't over power it.

My problem with BBQ sauce is there's usually so much sugar in it as if our diet needed more. So maybe it's not my favorite tasting sauce but its what I use most often:

https://www.ghughessugarfree.com/

I like a good Carolina style sauce with an added kick of some Hot Sauce, like Tabasco etc. We like things spicy out here, Nacho style comin' in for the kick!

I only put the sauce on the cooked side up; near the end or it'll burn. Flare ups can be a problem with 80/20 on a hot grill, and they'll burn that sugary sauce lickety-split.

"Stubb's" is the one I've settled on for now, but I'm always open to recommendations. I looked at all available in the stores I go to and Stubb's is the only one I found with no High Fructose Corn Syrup and not excessively sweet. Tasty stuff!

stubbsbbq.jpg

"Stubb's" is the one I've settled on for now, but I'm always open to recommendations. I looked at all available in the stores I go to and Stubb's is the only one I found with no High Fructose Corn Syrup and not excessively sweet. Tasty stuff!

View attachment 82933
Haven't tried Stubb's in years, probably a good time to check him out again (and I can always add the heat!) (y)

I like a good Carolina style sauce with an added kick of some Hot Sauce, like Tabasco etc. We like things spicy out here, Nacho style comin' in for the kick!

I only put the sauce on the cooked side up; near the end or it'll burn. Flare ups can be a problem with 80/20 on a hot grill, and they'll burn that sugary sauce lickety-split.
The stuff I learn on this forum. I have never heard of a Carolina style sauce but having just read several recipes It is quite different from what's on the store shelves here in the middle. I look forward to whipping up some next cook out.

And the Stubbs is intriguing. I haven't tried that before & I see there's even a low sugar.

Nope, I'm not diabetic. I just don't want to be one!

The stuff I learn on this forum. I have never heard of a Carolina style sauce but having just read several recipes It is quite different from what's on the store shelves here in the middle. I look forward to whipping up some next cook out.

And the Stubbs is intriguing. I haven't tried that before & I see there's even a low sugar.

Nope, I'm not diabetic. I just don't want to be one!
IINM, Carolina, has more vinegar and mustard in it; I've actually made it from other types by adding those ingredients, and it's typically more of what I'd call a 'wet mop' style as it's not as thick.

Yeah, finding a BBQ sauce without high fructose corn syrup has been a real challenge for me. I'd rather have a little bit of real sugar (like cane sugar) than that wretched high fructose corn syrup. Lately I've been seeing hamburger and hot dog buns where the packaging clearly states the absence of that junk. Why on earth would that even be showing up in bread products? (BTW, that's a rhetorical question.)

Back