Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody asked me what model I have......

View attachment 39900
Looks like we can get an almost replica over here!...………………. Mind you we probably wouldn't be able to use it as it always rains.

A separate firebox smoker is one of 2 or 3 proven designs.
The thing is there are a zillion of these out offset smokers out there with quality from crap to bricksh!t house.
Gos' Oklahoma Smoker is a nice one. Excellent buld quality without paying for the name.
The key is the skill of the Chef

From the looks of that charcoal basket, you could fire it up & not peek for 24 hours :)

There is arguably better BBQ\Grilling gear out there but I've stuck with Weber since 1980.
Unsurpassed customer service & solid build quality.
You can buy once or you can cuss & buy over & over again in false economy.
I have 2 gas, 1 charcoal & a highly modified smoker, all Weber.

So GOS, 13lb pork butt is a load of meat even after smoking.
Do you dry rub? Brine? Wet rub? Which wood for the smoke?
What, what, what? :)

Last edited:
Aldi are pretty darn popular in these areas.
A friends girlfriend is German and before they opened stores in the UK she would bring back their own labelled bottled beer which were excellent. My mother has an Aldi a few 100 yards from her house and always shops there now as everything is so good, and the fresh fruit/veg keeps. The other really nice thing is the staff will help her get stuff - she's 90.

A separate firebox smoker is one of 2 or 3 proven designs.
The thing is there are a zillion of these out offset smokers out there with quality from crap to bricksh!t house.
Gos' Oklahoma Smoker is a nice one. Excellent buld quality without paying for the name.

From the looks of that charcoal basket, you could fire it up & not peek for 24 hours :)

There is arguably better BBQ\Grilling gear out there but I've stuck with Weber since 1980.

Spot on. Mine is a much heavier build than any other in price range. It holds heat very well, and now that I've worked on all the seams, it should be airtight. :) I am a good Chef. I've been cooking nearly all my life....why? Well, long story...but in a nutshell, my mom didn't like to cook once my brothers left home...so I took over. Never looked back....and, with my career, I spent a lot of time in Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. You learn to love outdoor cooking if you go there.

Yes, maybe so. I can't wait to try it. It also keeps those hot coals away from the walls of the offset smoker chamber...which should help life expectancy of my grill.

Weber is spectacular quality. I've owned lots of Webers...mostly smokey Joe types. Also had a Weber gas that I gave to my pappy. I have nothing but good words for Weber.

I only brine meat that is not fatty. I always brine chicken or turkey. Or, very lean pork. The butt.....I use dry rub only and always. Smear it with a very thin layer of cheapo yellow mustard (so the rub sticks) then liberally apply dry rub. I don't make my own...yet. I typically buy whatever rub is on sale.....I'm not that picky. I use a combination of hickory and cherry. Hickory is my favorite. I use it in combination with real lump charcoal. I do keep a bag of briquettes handy as a backup or supplemental as they are easy to handle. I use internal temperature to tell me when it's done.

Spot on. Mine is a much heavier build than any other in price range. It holds heat very well, and now that I've worked on all the seams, it should be airtight. :) I am a good Chef. I've been cooking nearly all my life....why? Well, long story...but in a nutshell, my mom didn't like to cook once my brothers left home...so I took over. Never looked back....and, with my career, I spent a lot of time in Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. You learn to love outdoor cooking if you go there.

Yes, maybe so. I can't wait to try it. It also keeps those hot coals away from the walls of the offset smoker chamber...which should help life expectancy of my grill.

Weber is spectacular quality. I've owned lots of Webers...mostly smokey Joe types. Also had a Weber gas that I gave to my pappy. I have nothing but good words for Weber.

I only brine meat that is not fatty. I always brine chicken or turkey. Or, very lean pork. The butt.....I use dry rub only and always. Smear it with a very thin layer of cheapo yellow mustard (so the rub sticks) then liberally apply dry rub. I don't make my own...yet. I typically buy whatever rub is on sale.....I'm not that picky. I use a combination of hickory and cherry. Hickory is my favorite. I use it in combination with real lump charcoal. I do keep a bag of briquettes handy as a backup or supplemental as they are easy to handle. I use internal temperature to tell me when it's done.

Yeah that pork butt looked awesome.

I also brine, mostly chicken breasts and pork chops (which can be dry.) What is your brining recipe Gene? I settled on just salt, as if I added sugar it just made things taste like a hotdog:ROFLMAO:

Since you've spent time in South America, ever try one these delectable cuties called an Capybara? I hear they like to BBQ these down there.

I also brine, mostly chicken breasts and pork chops (which can be dry.) What is your brining recipe Gene? I settled on just salt, as if I added sugar it just made things taste like a hotdog:ROFLMAO:

Since you've spent time in South America, ever try one these delectable cuties called an Capybara? I hear they like to BBQ these down there.
View attachment 39962
I don't follow recipes generally. But, yeah. Water, salt, garlic, onion powder. Sometimes rosemary, if I have it fresh. Regarding that rodent...which is what they call them down there......I haven't purposely eaten one...but I'm not saying I haven't. :oops:

View attachment 39962

Oh boy...I just lost my appetite😳

View attachment 39962
who will be the first to say... they taste like chicken....

Back