Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you still have The Hereford House in KC. A great steak house I visited years ago.

That is pretty neat that you remember The Hereford House & comment on it. Probably the location you went to was the original one in downtown KC. Strange story: that location burned to the ground back in 2008. Subsequent investigation revealed that it was arson, set by the owner & two co-conspirators. A plea confession said it was done for insurance money which is odd because it was always packed I'm sure a money maker. I'm not sure who or what company owns it now but it is survived by four other Hereford House restaurants at up scale suburban retail locations. I've been to two of 'em, still good food. Only problem is it has, you know, that upscale suburban feel to it instead of the old school cool of the original.

Next time you happen to be in KC drop me a PM & we'll check 'em out!

That is pretty neat that you remember The Hereford House & comment on it. Probably the location you went to was the original one in downtown KC. Strange story: that location burned to the ground back in 2008. Subsequent investigation revealed that it was arson, set by the owner & two co-conspirators. A plea confession said it was done for insurance money which is odd because it was always packed I'm sure a money maker. I'm not sure who or what company owns it now but it is survived by four other Hereford House restaurants at up scale suburban retail locations. I've been to two of 'em, still good food. Only problem is it has, you know, that upscale suburban feel to it instead of the old school cool of the original.

Next time you happen to be in KC drop me a PM & we'll check 'em out!
It was a long time ago, certainly before 2008. I walked there from the train station. Headed north for about a 15 minute walk. It was not a very good location and certainly would not be a good walk after dark. Everything nearby seemed closed or boarded up. The steak was great.

Baby Back Ribs. Been on for 6 hours, looking really good now.

9cf3ec8ed3736f30a13461b34ca3b58f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those ribs look delicious, I think we'll have to do that soon! Tonight we will be grilling burgers, this time it'll be ground yak.

Reactions: GOS
I don't like this thread, makes me frustrated knowing we can't own a grill at the Condos. There is one charcoal grill by the swimming pool for 500 units.

I don't like this thread, makes me frustrated knowing we can't own a grill at the Condos. There is one charcoal grill by the swimming pool for 500 units.

No grill allowed? Wow....now that is one fascist home owners assoc. Seriously....this is the USA...FFS...grilling, beer...sheesh....I can't grasp there being any solid reasoning behind that.

No grill allowed? Wow....now that is one fascist home owners assoc. Seriously....this is the USA...FFS...grilling, beer...sheesh....I can't grasp there being any solid reasoning behind that.
The way they are built, every patio on the first floor has a wooden deck above it, so if you had flames shooting up, the deck would catch fire. I am not a fan of George Foreman grills used in the house.

Baby Back Ribs. Been on for 6 hours, looking really good now.

9cf3ec8ed3736f30a13461b34ca3b58f.jpg

The ribs were truly awesome. To be honest, I've never smoked ribs this long. Ended up being about 7 hours. They were not dry whatsoever. In fact, they were super juicy and moist. I used a very basic dry rub, spritzed them every 30 minutes or so with beef stock and vinegar concoction. Never wrapped them. Once the bones started to pull away, I brushed them with a locally made barbecue sauce that is made from Southern Comfort whiskey. The sauce caramelized perfectly and created a non sloppy coating.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, been there done that...gas bbcues were fine for years until all of a sudden they weren't...seemed to be a case of fire ordinances, insurance, and an HOA full of non-barbecuers who seemed way to eager to ban barbecues...I moved...I've heard from an old neighbor that new members are on the HOA & bbcues coming back!

Last edited:
Usual family here for Sunday dinner - two that have been through culinary school and know their stuff...I just stay out of the way, let them do their thing, and then do the clean up after.

Tri-tip beef on the grill, mashed yukon golds, squash and eggplant from the garden.

Pork tenderloin: One rubbed with cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and some other ingredients I forgot, and a second coated with a mix of rosemary, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Filet mignon: one with a Santa Maria style dry rub, a second with rosemary and wrapped in bacon.

BBQ chicken tenderloin and chicken-apple sausage for the kids.

IMG-5088.jpg

Paul Barrere day for me *Much joy you brought to me Mr. Barrere - RIP!
Hell of a Rodeo- "Livin' the life, livin' the life lovin' everyone."

Breakfast with Paul and the boys... Greatest live album ever IMNSHO.
Avocado toast with just made beef Jerky:
Left to right-
Café "Dick" Domingo Coffee.
Redd's Apple Ale with toasted sesame seeds.
Lapsang Souchong Tea

PBB.jpg

With the smoker, it's a piece of cake. I set the temp at 225F and only touched them a few times. Once to wrap them in tinfoil for two hours and again to remove the foil. I brushed them with the BBQ sauce twice in the last 30 minutes.

These were huge racks of ribs from the butcher. I didn't have plates big enough to serve them on.

ribsn resized.jpg

Back