Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first attempt at smoking a tiny brisket turned out pretty good. Unlike @GOS I can't say I knocked it out of the park, but it was edible.... actually pretty tasty & tender. I used smoked paprika in the rub & let sit almost 24 hrs. So if anything it was a bit too smoky I would cut back or not use the paprika next time. Cooked about 3 hrs for 2.67 lbs.

I used a Maverick dual temp blue tooth monitor as suggested by @Tribby2001 and I thought that would make things easy and peasy. Instead it seemed to take forever to get up to 225 and then it sky rocketed to 300 & beyond. Top & bottom vents closed, it still ran hot. Some water spritzing brought it under control.

I learned a lot from this and also from this thread & the real Pit Masters. Thanks!

My first attempt at smoking a tiny brisket turned out pretty good. Unlike @GOS I can't say I knocked it out of the park, but it was edible.... actually pretty tasty & tender. I used smoked paprika in the rub & let sit almost 24 hrs. So if anything it was a bit too smoky I would cut back or not use the paprika next time. Cooked about 3 hrs for 2.67 lbs.

I used a Maverick dual temp blue tooth monitor as suggested by @Tribby2001 and I thought that would make things easy and peasy. Instead it seemed to take forever to get up to 225 and then it sky rocketed to 300 & beyond. Top & bottom vents closed, it still ran hot. Some water spritzing brought it under control.

I learned a lot from this and also from this thread & the real Pit Masters. Thanks!
6 1/2 hours at around 225 on the weber. Just outstanding...

View attachment 68198

A little grilling info.

This time, I used Cowboy Lump Charcoal. Instead of lighting "some" amount of coals in my chimney and then dumping in the grill, I simply lit maybe a quart of coals and situated them on the very side of the charcoal basket. Then, I layed a few more chuncks on the side of those and only stirred them into the mix when the lit ones dwindled down. Doing this, the temps never got much higher than 250 to be honest. For several hours at a time. I admit, somewhere around the 3 hour mark, I let the coals get too low and the temps dropped to 200 and even opening the vents all the way, I couldn't get the temps moving up. So, I got a small fan, situated it about 3 feet away from grill and let it do its magic. Within 10 minutes, the temps were increasing again and I tossed a few chunks of fresh coals on top and back to 250 it went.

Using minimal coals, I was able to keep it at 225-250 for long periods. Basically, top vent was full open, bottom vent was only 1/3 open at the most. I only used a chunck of hickory in the first hour or so, as I have a tendancy of oversmoking. And, the lump charcoal provides amazing flavores not present in regular charcoal. These ribs were the best I've ever made.

It will only get better with practice.

Really don't need any smoked flavored seasoning. That's cheating - LOL

Oh ya, that Weber is a wild child. Crazy wild temperature swings. Takes some practice to learn how to control those Weber temps. I just use the vents and be sure to keep the water filled. The water helps to moderate the hot air temperature as well as keep the meat moist. Took me about a dozen+ smokes to get the hang of a Weber smoke. Mine is due for replacement and I'm looking at a 55 gallon drum smoker by Big Pappa with automatic billow air fan controller. A big step up but a lot less temp control hassle.

They do make them for Webers Weber - Automatic Temperature Control

Last edited:
The ladies of the house are out of town for the weekend. So my son and I treated ourselves to nice steak dinner, served medium which would otherwise be an unacceptable rareness for the aforementioned women.

• Grass fed ribeye from the local butcher
  • Hand cut fries in the air fryer
  • Corn on the cob from the farmers market
Four minutes per side at 500F.

ribeye.jpg

Made Philly Cheese's over the weekend. Smoked a roast for three hours, then turned up the temp to 300F and smoked/baked covered another 3 hours while basting in the Au Jus.

While shredding the beef, I sauteed some onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Finish the sandwhich with some mild provolone and serve with a cup of the Au Jus.

20210808_155830_HDR_resized.jpg

20210808_173231_resized.jpg

My 10 year old tried ribs on memorial day and LOVED them, so I've started playing around with ribs. I have a gas grill (blasphemy!) but some well-prepared wood chips seem to go a long way. It still takes hours and hours.

Here are some photos: Beginning, middle, end.
IMG_7123.jpgIMG_7140.jpgIMG_7147.jpg

Back