Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been very tempted by these pellet grills.

When we moved six years ago we bought a new gas grill but I took it back because I didn't like the way it cooked.

When we moved six years ago we bought a new gas grill but I took it back because I didn't like the way it cooked.
I love mine, so easy to use and the meat turns out so much better than what you can do with a gas grill. Now you can buy them pretty much "set it and forget it" with a WiFi app to let you monitor the temperature of the meat without leaving your listening chair.

I don't care for gas only grills either. Like the ubiquitous flat panel TV, it might be very practical but not very tasty (whaaa??). Probably some water soaked wood chips would add some flavor back.

The type of Weber I've used is here in post 266. About 10yrs old looks brand new. What you can't tell from the pic is it has attached propane for starting the coals, so no starter fluid after taste.

My older son in law is a back yard pit master & he has a Traeger plus a nice regular grill. He's worked his way up from one of those cheapo upright coal/water smokers to this. Dump the pellets in, ignite, set temp on the digital readout & walk away. Oh yeah, fill the H20 reservoir. Check cooking temp & meat temp on the cell phone. If it seems like the lazy way there's still a lot of skill involved in other areas. The pellet tastes favorably compared to charcoal.

At our previous house there was a double city gas powered outdoor grill and I got pretty good with it. I did put wet wood cheeps in to make smoke.
But everybody really prefers charcoal so charcoal it is.

All the new propane gas grills have those inverted V covers over the burners to keep them from clogging. That was what I didn't like about the spensive gas grill the Mrs bought me for Fathers day and so we took advantage of Costco's liberal return policy. They have had Traegers on and off.
Very tempting but I think I am just going to get a Weber Kettle. I have used those (borrowed) in the past and like them. I like the giant coffee cup at the bottom that collects the ashes. Should be easier to empty than my fifty year old "Outdoor Kitchens" from Arkansas which I bought about 1972.

I thought you had customized modified super grill? Does this replace that? I have a similar model but sure don't see how it would be good for smoking:

View attachment 67038

Mine is about 8 yo & seems to be discontinued. I much prefer charcoal to propane, but this has a gas starter which is best of both. As I remember this grill was less expensive than the simple Weber when I got it. Family get together is 6 adults & 4 kids & I admit I bought an el cheapo additional grill to keep up with my wife who thinks an infinite amount of meat fits on a 22" circle.
Weber still has this one with a propane lighter
https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/performer/performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill-22/15502001.html\I have a bunch of credit card points which I think are going to get used for one of these.

Weber still has this one with a propane lighter
https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/performer/performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill-22/15502001.html\I have a bunch of credit card points which I think are going to get used for one of these.
Wow that's beauty Gene! Looks like a highly upgraded version of mine. Of course I don't think mine cost even 1/2 of that....

When I started using mine I could never figure out how to use the "char-baskets" to any advantage. Except it made it easier to position the briquettes over the starter flame. After a couple of years laying around my yard I ditched them.

1" thick NY Strips this weekend. I like 1 " as I seem to be able to control the 'wellness' best at that thickness. We're going nostalgic throwback. Coles Garlic bread ( grilled of course ), Caeser salad, and baked potato. Party like its 1983.

As far as hotdogs...Mrs Cbmmm3 and I had that craving a few weeks ago. Definitely all beef frank! And a special bun to make it fun.
A slow cooked dog on the grill rocks !!

Last edited:
For Mother’s day, I went to a local butcher shop and asked about a cut that I hadn’t seen for a long time, called a “rolled roast.” The proprietor seemed knowledgeable, and said that they just didn’t cut beef that way any more, but had a cut that was pretty close. I ended up with a chunk of cow that weighed about six pounds for about $35, put it on the rotisserie of my dear old Weber kettle, and feasted off that for about a week.

That’s definitely goung to happen again this summer.

And just a bit off topic, tomorrow is the biggest day of the year for motor sports. Both the Indy 500 and the Grand Prix of Monaco! I’ve been to both, although it’s been a while.

@barfle you can find a rib roast that looks just like what the innerscreen calls a rolled rib roast at Costco. I almost bought one day before yesterday. It is a boneless standing rib roast. (one of my late sainted muthers specialties was a standing rib roast WITH bones. MMMM momma's cookin!!)

1685307890447.png

Last night we went to my younger daughters for a cookout. Her husband Chris got a new Blackstone griddle for Xmas & this was only his 3rd time using it.

1685382694858.png

Everything turned out great! I'm not sure how they decided but it seemed to have a Chinese vibe to the dinner. Home made crab rangoon with real crab & good cream cheese. Shrimp & chicken on the grill along with veggies and fried rice (with peas & carrots, just like at a restaurant) . For some reason Sapporo beer, the best Japanese beer made in Canada you can buy.

Just returned with some massive strip steaks USDA prime that I had to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford. Oh well, if it turns out as tasty as I'm hoping, it will be worth it.

Back