Groups/Artists we've seen Live that have released Studio albums in SURROUND & QUAD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
If possible , dates or year/s, and try and list the various Quad or Surround Studio album/s for each. And try and indicate the name of the Tour ( if known.).
This would even include Groups that performed "Live in Quadraphonic" or Surround. For these try and indicate your approximate seating.
Also add any interesting Concert factoids.

I'll start-

GENESIS
Winnipeg Arena , Trick Of The Tail Tour , ALL of their Studio albums are in 5.1 with the exception of "From Genesis To Revelation".
-This tour was sans Peter Gabriel , and my seating was middle-6th row from stage floor , but this Concert was not in Quad or Surround. Excellent sound and performance btw, very true to their albums.

THREE DOG NIGHT
Winnipeg Arena -1968 or 1969 , my first Rock Concert. Albums in quad -Hard Labor , Coming Down Your Way.
Sound was distant and kind of echoy and so was the seating (upper left hand side , halfway fr/stage).
Their performance was average to fairly good.

TEN YEARS AFTER -
Winnipeg Arena , saw them 2 or 3x btwn 69 -73 , Quad album "A Space In Time"
- Alvin Lee 's fret work was amazing , and the Band's performance was superb . Although my seating was distant from the Stage (mid upper right) , the sound was overall pretty good for a hockey arena. TYA had sufficient amplifiers for the venue.

BLACK SABBATH
Winnipeg Centennial Concert Hall 1971 , Quad album : Paranoid
-Both sound and performance on "The Paranoid Tour" was very good , but FN LOUD !! Played songs fr/first 2 albums. Should have had some ear plugs fwiw , took me a couple hours to start hearing properly again. Seating was middle of front balcony of this posh venue.

THE WHO
Winnipeg Arena , Autumn 1975 ,
Quad albums : Tommy w/LSO , Tommy Movie Soundtrack ..... 5.1 albums : Tommy Movie , Tommy 1969 album , Quadrophenia .
The Who came prepared with multiple large amplified speakers suspended from the ceiling as well as on the front stage.
The performance and sound were exemplary , given I was seated upper right midway from stage.

:) I'll leave 5 per post , so tbc.

Some concert dates are approximate.
The Who 1969?, Musicarnival, destroyed everything! 1975?, Cleveland Public Auditorium, played “Tommy” nonstop. 1982 Richfield Coliseum.
FZ and original MoI at Musicarnival (1969?).
James Taylor several times 1975 to 2018.
BS&T twice at LaCave in Cleveland (1969-70?, original band members) and Marion (Ohio) Palace Theater. 2012?
Elton John 1971, Cleveland Public Hall, original band.
Jimi Hendrix Experience 3/3/68 at Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Columbus and 3/26/68 at Cleveland Public Hall.
Have also seen Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, Yes, Eagles. Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Argent, America, B. B. King, Poco, Joe Walsh, Chicago, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad and more. Hard to be factual on dates and venues.

I can list the artists but my concert list is MIA

Elton John
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Three Dog Night
The Who
Jethro Tull
Blue Oyster Cult
Deep Purple
Roxy Music
Heart
Billy Joel
Simple Minds
XTC
The Police
The Doobie Brothers
Tears For Fears
ZZ Top
Chicago
Peter Frampton
Fleetwood Mac

Last edited:
@Quadmon

Hendrix yet ! You lucky bugger.
Good on you .
:)
[/QUOTEVery lucky! My first concert! I was walking down the street when some friends drove up. Asked if I wanted to go along to see JHE. Five of us in a VW beetle! I paid a person $10 for a $6 ticket. Sat 4th row center. Soft Machine opened so Robert Wyatt was the first real concert musician I saw walk on stage.
Of course, I was blown away by Jimi, Noel and Mitch. Wish I’d had three eyes to go with my four ears! Lol

I know the price of tickets were very very reasonable back then. Paid $5.00 to see Led Zep and some 20 other groups , back in 1970 !
Too bad we could not have recorded them, being so very historic.

I know the price of tickets were very very reasonable back then. Paid $5.00 to see Led Zep and some 20 other groups , back in 1970 !
Too bad we could not have recorded them, being so very historic.
I was the “sound guy” for a local blues band and recorded a few shows on my quad r to r. I thought they turned out ok. It sure was fun! Be nice to hear those tapes again.
I didn’t have a car but I had a friend with a car. I would pay for tickets and gas. He would drive. Like you said, tickets were very cheap. Tix, gas and food maybe $35-40.

I'm sure that was great experience recording the local Blues act in quad.

I suppose those ticket prices had to climb sometime. I'm guessing mid to late 80's when prices started to skyrocket.

I may forget a few. It's been a while...

Sting - Nothing Like The Sun tour
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet tour
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club tour, Sheryl Crow (eponymous album) tour
Joe Walsh - You Bought It - You Name It tour
Foreigner - Agent Provocateur tour
Crowded House - Woodface tour, Together Alone tour + Neil Finn - Try Whistling This tour
INXS - Kick (warm up tour + their arena return 8 months later), X tour, Welcome To Wherever You Are tour and Elegantly Wasted tour
Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love tour, Elemental tour, Raoul and The Kings of Spain tour
Seal - Human Beings tour (with Tony Levin on Bass)
Yes - Talk tour
Muse - Drones tour
Paul McCartney - Flowers in The Dirt tour
Duran Duran - Notorious tour, The Wedding Album tour, Thank You tour
David Bowie - The Glass Spider tour
Bryan Ferry - Bête Noire tour
Bachman Turner Overdrive - opening for the Van Halen 5150 tour
Brian Wilson - Smile tour
Did not see Queen but saw Brian May - Back To The Light tour
Céline Dion - Unison tour
Jerry Lee Lewis - tour promoting the Great Ball of Fire movie and soundtrack
Did not see Steve Hackett solo concerts but saw GTR
Amanda Marshall - first tour
Cowboy Junkies - Lay It Down tour
Diana Krall - Love Scenes tour
Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve - 1999 tour featuring many songs from Painted From Memory

I’ve seen Yes, Bowie, Rush, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Project, Moody Blues, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Hawkwind, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Riverside, Anathema, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, Genesis, ELP, IQ, Steve Hackett, Marillion, Caravan, Nektar, Opeth, Sting, Chicago, Motörhead, Roger Waters, Fish, Renaissance, Transatlantic, The Police, Gong, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, Symphony X, The Who and Styx. I saw Van Der Graaf Generator on June 25th 2009, it was a dark rainy night and I am pretty sure some famous pop star died that day too. I’ve seen Yes the most, over 30xs, and Rush- I think 12 times, I pretty much have all my stubs too. All these shows took place from May of 1983 (Yes 90125 tour) to February 13, 2020 (Opeth In Cauda Venenum tour)

Dream theater 13 times, pink floyd twice, queen twice, sheryl crow twice, marillion twice. Sticking to the op request of 5 only

Neil Diamond 1977- Market Square Arena, Indianapolis IN
The Who 1979 - Assembly Hall, Indiana University, Bloomington IN

Have also seen: Iron Butterfly, Tommy James & Shondells (twice), Roadmaster, PDQ Bach, Chuck Mangione, E. Power Biggs, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Melanie, Newsboys, Skillet, Apologetics, and Third Day.

I did the sound once for Audio Adrenaline when they were just getting started.

Last edited:
Elton John: 1980 Richfield Coliseum
Chicago: XIV Tour ~1980 Blossom Music Center and 50th Anniversary Tour, The Rose Music Center. The 50th Tour was a better show.
Dream Theater: Every east coast US tour since Metropolis Part 2
King Crimson: east coast US tour since Thrak, to include Krimson ProjeKCt, ProjeKCt Two, Tony Levin and Adrian Belew more times than you can shake a stick.
The Three Tenors, 2003 (Luciano Pavarotti, Jose Carerras, Placido Domingo) a more respectful audience I have never seen

Johnny Mathis - I'm at work, don't recall what all albums of his have surround...
Saw him in 1971 with my parents
Say him again in 2017

Andy Williams - again, don't know all his quad albums..
Saw him in 1972 with my parents

Art Garfunkle - I believe he has just 2 albums in Quad. Thank you Dutton Vocalion
Saw him in 2019

Alice Cooper - he has a few surround/quad albums
Saw him in 1987 - Raise Your Fist and Yell was the album released for that tour. He freaking killed it man...

Metallica - well, The Black Album is a DVD-A. We all know they have a few concert videos in surround.
Saw them at the Monsters of Rock in Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. 1988
Saw them in Peoria, IL. Sometime around 1990 I suppose. That was the loudest concert I've ever heard in my life.
Saw them at Soldiers Field, Chicago. Maybe it was 2016 or so?

Elton John - We all know all those amazing 5.1 SACD's
Saw him at Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL. Medusa Tour, 1999

Rush - OK, we all know about their 5.1 releases...
Saw them during Roll The Bones Tour at Redbird Arena, Normal, IL.

Steven Wilson, Chicago,
Foreigner - Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL. Foreigner 4 tour

Pretty impressive Tour's , so far.

So to continue :

The Youngbloods -Winnipeg Stadium August 1970 .....Quad albums : Best of Youngbloods and Get Together.
-They appeared at " Man Pop" Aug 1970 in the afternoon .....with 20 or more groups . Headline acts were:
Ides Of March , Iron Butterfly , and Led Zeppelin all 3 of which had to play in the Winnipeg Arena for the Concert's close.

Uriah Heep June 1972 University Of Manitoba.......5.1 album; Best Of Uriah Heep (silverline)
-First time I heard an electric violin by a rock band , great performance btw at this smaller venue.

Fleetwood Mac -Summer 1975 University Of North Dakota, Fargo N D .
5.1 albums ; Fleetwood Mac 75 , Rumours , Tusk , Mirage , Say You Will .
-Outdoor venue where Stevie Nicks and the band did an extra long version of Rhainnon.

Burton Cummings - 1976 , Pandora Inn Winnipeg Man. Quad album : Burton Cummings
Solo concert with him on his Yamaha keyboard .

The Doobie Brothers , 1977 Winnipeg Arena , Winnipeg Man. Quad albums ; The Captain And Me , Toulouse Street ,
....What Were Once Vices ..Are Now Habits , Stampede . 5.1 albums : The Captain And Me .
Unfortunately this was terrible audio and crappy seating-close to the back of the Arena. Performance was ok though.

TBC

I may forget a few. It's been a while...

Sting - Nothing Like The Sun tour
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet tour
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club tour, Sheryl Crow (eponymous album) tour
Joe Walsh - You Bought It - You Name It tour
Foreigner - Agent Provocateur tour
Crowded House - Woodface tour, Together Alone tour + Neil Finn - Try Whistling This tour
INXS - Kick (warm up tour + their arena return 8 months later), X tour, Welcome To Wherever You Are tour and Elegantly Wasted tour
Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love tour, Elemental tour, Raoul and The Kings of Spain tour
Seal - Human Beings tour (with Tony Levin on Bass)
Yes - Talk tour
Muse - Drones tour
Paul McCartney - Flowers in The Dirt tour
Duran Duran - Notorious tour, The Wedding Album tour, Thank You tour
David Bowie - The Glass Spider tour
Bryan Ferry - Bête Noire tour
Bachman Turner Overdrive - opening for the Van Halen 5150 tour
Brian Wilson - Smile tour
Did not see Queen but saw Brian May - Back To The Light tour
Céline Dion - Unison tour
Jerry Lee Lewis - tour promoting the Great Ball of Fire movie and soundtrack
Did not see Steve Hackett solo concerts but saw GTR
Amanda Marshall - first tour
Cowboy Junkies - Lay It Down tour
Diana Krall - Love Scenes tour
Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve - 1999 tour featuring many songs from Painted From Memory

Pretty impressive Simon .

Or should I say Simon( Paul )

Hope your keeping ok.

Fizzy :)

Johnny Mathis - I'm at work, don't recall what all albums of his have surround...
Saw him in 1971 with my parents
Say him again in 2017

Andy Williams - again, don't know all his quad albums..
Saw him in 1972 with my parents

Art Garfunkle - I believe he has just 2 albums in Quad. Thank you Dutton Vocalion
Saw him in 2019

Alice Cooper - he has a few surround/quad albums
Saw him in 1987 - Raise Your Fist and Yell was the album released for that tour. He freaking killed it man...

Metallica - well, The Black Album is a DVD-A. We all know they have a few concert videos in surround.
Saw them at the Monsters of Rock in Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. 1988
Saw them in Peoria, IL. Sometime around 1990 I suppose. That was the loudest concert I've ever heard in my life.
Saw them at Soldiers Field, Chicago. Maybe it was 2016 or so?

Elton John - We all know all those amazing 5.1 SACD's
Saw him at Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL. Medusa Tour, 1999

Rush - OK, we all know about their 5.1 releases...
Saw them during Roll The Bones Tour at Redbird Arena, Normal, IL.

Steven Wilson, Chicago,
Foreigner - Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL. Foreigner 4 tour

Re quad/5.1 albums ;
That's OK Gene , I think we all know them by heart... by now. ;)

Keep well ,

Fizzy

Reactions: GOS
Ill chip in with

Motorhead - numerous times from the mid 80s to 2000s

Metallica - as above

Pink Floyd - Live 8

Roger Waters - Glastonbury (Animals), Roskilde (DSOTM) and 02 London (The Wall)

Bjork - Glastonbury 90s and Hammersmith Odeon 2000s

There have been quite a few others but those were the first five that came to mind

Roger was the only one that performed in surround live

Edit: One of the most impressive live surround experiences I had was the Arcadia afterburner sound system at the Glade Festival 2009ish. I had the good fortune to meet Tony Andrews (Turbosound/Funktion One designer) who gave me a quick tour of the ambisonic setup - unfortunately, with it being a festival and my not being entirely grounded, I remember pretty much nothing of the technical details. I do recall the definite sense of aspects of the mix seeming to lift out of the stereo soundfield and move in 3d space around me.

I took my kids to see it at a festival in Ireland a couple of years ago but it just sounded like (very loud, very high quality) stereo via an L'acoustics rig - perhaps my more grown up clear headed child centered mindset explains why I didnt find it quite as immersive. It was, however, visually spectacular

https://www.arcadiaspectacular.com/installations/have a look at the afterburner video to see just how spectacular

Audio Pro September 2009 - Issue 22
pages 21&22 have some info on the 2009 setup but no real info on the processing - I think I remember a bandpass filter, a delay and a joystick being involved but thats about it

Aditional edit:
Robert Fripp in the lobby of the Royal Festival Hall, London - mid 90s generating soundscapes through what I remember as a quad system. My wife said it was the most boring concert she had ever been to - she didnt appreciate that the interactions were part controlled, part chance and was almost apoplectic when fripp occasionally took a wander into the audience and sat down to have a listen to the results instead of staying put and playing. We agreed to disagree

Last edited:
In ambisonic hummm.

Surely it was a discrete performance though.

Laughing about the wife's decision btw. I guess she doesn't appreciate Fripp's style of music.

Back