Groups/Artists we've seen Live that have released Studio albums in SURROUND & QUAD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez I'm writing this and listening to ;

Pixies -Doolittle blu-ray
Just a little side note about the fantastic bassist Kim Deol----An aguintance of mine said she was busted with an ounce of skag a few years back. I told him "probably the band's supply for a month" . Oh yes... he laughed.

I digress, back to the thread.

PS I do not promote the use of hard drugs, FWIW

Last edited:
Ambisonic was their description of the processing - I assume that was a simplistic generality. My memory is of 6 speaker stacks surrounding the audience facing towards the central dj tower, a filter, delay and joystick.

There was definitely a spacial component to the sound and, while its possible that some of the djs had discrete recordings it seemed that they were also able to extract information from a stero mix and pan it around. Bear in mind that whilst I think FK1s speakers sound fantastic this was hardly a critical listening scenario

It was a missed opportunity on my part that I wasnt in the best of shape to have a more sensible conversation about it. I had been playing with a quad dj system (a mix of hafler derived ambiance and live panned fx) of my own a couple of years before but it had always seemed a little clunky

Re: My wife and Fripp - I dont think that King Crimson have ever had a ladies night on any of their tours. I tried taking her to see them in Cardiff, Wales a few years ago but I played her Larks Tongues pt1 and consequently ended up taking my father instead - it should possibly be noted that there wasnt a queue for the ladies toilets that night

The Rolling Stones 1994 Winnipeg Stadium. 5.1 albums : Sympathy For The Devil , Goats Head Soup.
Super sound system for a Stadium performance , excellent performance but crappy seating ...still though the sound carried quite well even though we were seated towards the back upper left stands. Voodoo Lounge Tour btw.

Jethro Tull -1997 Walker Theatre Winnipeg Manitoba (in 02 became Burton Cummings Theatre)
Quad albums : Aqualung , War Child , Minstrel In The Gallery, Too Old To Rock and Roll Too Young To Die, Songs From The Wood (4 tracks only), This Was .
5.1 albums : Stand Up , Benefit , Aqualung , Thick As A Brick , War Child , A Passion Play , Minstrel In The Gallery , Too Old To Rock Too Young To Die , Songs From The Wood , Heavy Horses ,
Stormwatch , A .
smaller venue and great sound, halfway through the set the speakers suspended on the ceiling stage had to be readjusted to prevent crushing the band. Strange seeing Ian Anderson shaved bald.

Crosby , Stills , Nash & Young July 2006 MTS Center Winnipeg Manitoba 5.1 albums (no group albums, but solos)
David Crosby-If I Could Only Remember My Name , ( Quad ; Stephen Stills-Stills ) , 5.1 cont'd; Graham Nash-Songs For Survivors , Songs For Beginners , Crosby Nash-Another Stoney Evening , Neil Young -Harvest , Rust Never Sleeps w/Crazy Horse , Road Rock VI , Greendale .

Roger Waters - June 2007 MTS Center Winnipeg Manitoba , 5.1 albums : Amused To Death , The Wall Berlin , In The Flesh .
The only Concert I got to here in Quadraphonic , albeit shitty seats upper left side stands , still got to hear the quad panning of the Concert.

Elvis Costello and The Imposters 2009 Winnipeg Folk Festival , Birds Hill Manitoba
5.1 album : North
Mosquito bitten , but great performance , highlight of the festival. "Watching The Detectives" stole the show.

TBC

I may forget a few. It's been a while...

Sting - Nothing Like The Sun tour
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet tour
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club tour, Sheryl Crow (eponymous album) tour
Joe Walsh - You Bought It - You Name It tour
Foreigner - Agent Provocateur tour
Crowded House - Woodface tour, Together Alone tour + Neil Finn - Try Whistling This tour
INXS - Kick (warm up tour + their arena return 8 months later), X tour, Welcome To Wherever You Are tour and Elegantly Wasted tour
Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love tour, Elemental tour, Raoul and The Kings of Spain tour
Seal - Human Beings tour (with Tony Levin on Bass)
Yes - Talk tour
Muse - Drones tour
Paul McCartney - Flowers in The Dirt tour
Duran Duran - Notorious tour, The Wedding Album tour, Thank You tour
David Bowie - The Glass Spider tour
Bryan Ferry - Bête Noire tour
Bachman Turner Overdrive - opening for the Van Halen 5150 tour
Brian Wilson - Smile tour
Did not see Queen but saw Brian May - Back To The Light tour
Céline Dion - Unison tour
Jerry Lee Lewis - tour promoting the Great Ball of Fire movie and soundtrack
Did not see Steve Hackett solo concerts but saw GTR
Amanda Marshall - first tour
Cowboy Junkies - Lay It Down tour
Diana Krall - Love Scenes tour
Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve - 1999 tour featuring many songs from Painted From Memory
What format was the Sheryl crow ones??

All in The Netherlands except where mentioned.

Pink Floyd - Division Bell tour September 1994 in De Kuip, Rotterdam (playing DSOTM in the second half) (my first concert BTW ;) )

Roger Waters - In The Flesh Tour 13-05-2002 Sportpaleis, Antwerp Belgium and 15-05-2002 Ahoy, Rotterdam
Roger Waters - Dark Side Live 10-06-2006 Lichtenvoorde (outdoor on a beautiful cloudless night with a full moon! and Porcupine Tree were playing earlier that day too) / 07-07-2006 Ahoy Rotterdam / 05-05-2007 Gelredome, Arnhem / 11-05-2008 Megaland, Landgraaf / May 2008 O2 Arena, London UK
Roger Waters - The Wall Live April 2011 Gelredome, Arnhem / 08-09-2013 Amsterdam ArenA

David Gilmour - On an Island Tour April 2006 Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam

Porcupine Tree - The Incident Tour 12-10-2009 Heineken Music Hall (with Robert Fripp as support act), Amsterdam

Riverside - 24-07-2015 De Boerderij, Zoetermeer / 23-06-2018 Midsummer Prog Festival 2018, Valkenburg (this is in an open air amphitheather)

Anathema - 24-06-2017 Midsummer Prog Festival 2017, Valkenburg (no 5.1 artists but Gazpacho and iamthemorning were playing as well).

Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase. Tour 24-03-2015 Tivoli, Utrecht

The Pineapple Thief - 11-03-2013 Paradiso, Amsterdam and 2 times in De Boerderij, Zoetermeer

RPWL - 04-04-2014 Progdreams festival De Boerderij, Zoetermeer

mainly prog ;)

Most shows I've seen have been mono focused.

Most music leads to needing a strong mono element live. Everyone in the venue needs to hear the foundation as it were. Elements that can be in motion need to work both when they're right on top of you and when they're on the other side of the room from you. Even stereo mixing can be limited in what you can get away with depending on the music. It really depends on the music!

Pink Floyd had the surround sound arrangements written from the ground up. I was too young and never got to see them. (I was 10 in '77. So close...) I did catch a few solo tours with David Gilmour's Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. This was all kind of after the fact stuff with mostly just fx and folly in surround. None of the aggressive stuff from the pre Dark Side days.

Robert Fripp League of Crafty Guitarists show that was sort of in quad surround. Mostly just Fripp's soundscapes. It was in a room that didn't work very well for it. The overall sound was still well balanced though and it was a great show.

That's it!

I could list all kinds of bands that happen to have surround mixed albums but it never translated to their live shows i any way shape or form.

Ill chip in with

Motorhead - numerous times from the mid 80s to 2000s

Metallica - as above

Pink Floyd - Live 8

Roger Waters - Glastonbury (Animals), Roskilde (DSOTM) and 02 London (The Wall)

Bjork - Glastonbury 90s and Hammersmith Odeon 2000s

There have been quite a few others but those were the first five that came to mind

Roger was the only one that performed in surround live

Edit: One of the most impressive live surround experiences I had was the Arcadia afterburner sound system at the Glade Festival 2009ish. I had the good fortune to meet Tony Andrews (Turbosound/Funktion One designer) who gave me a quick tour of the ambisonic setup - unfortunately, with it being a festival and my not being entirely grounded, I remember pretty much nothing of the technical details. I do recall the definite sense of aspects of the mix seeming to lift out of the stereo soundfield and move in 3d space around me.

I took my kids to see it at a festival in Ireland a couple of years ago but it just sounded like (very loud, very high quality) stereo via an L'acoustics rig - perhaps my more grown up clear headed child centered mindset explains why I didnt find it quite as immersive. It was, however, visually spectacular

https://www.arcadiaspectacular.com/installations/have a look at the afterburner video to see just how spectacular

Audio Pro September 2009 - Issue 22
pages 21&22 have some info on the 2009 setup but no real info on the processing - I think I remember a bandpass filter, a delay and a joystick being involved but thats about it

Aditional edit:
Robert Fripp in the lobby of the Royal Festival Hall, London - mid 90s generating soundscapes through what I remember as a quad system. My wife said it was the most boring concert she had ever been to - she didnt appreciate that the interactions were part controlled, part chance and was almost apoplectic when fripp occasionally took a wander into the audience and sat down to have a listen to the results instead of staying put and playing. We agreed to disagree
She's obviously has never seen Dire Straits !

Most shows I've seen have been mono focused.

Most music leads to needing a strong mono element live. Everyone in the venue needs to hear the foundation as it were. Elements that can be in motion need to work both when they're right on top of you and when they're on the other side of the room from you. Even stereo mixing can be limited in what you can get away with depending on the music. It really depends on the music!

Pink Floyd had the surround sound arrangements written from the ground up. I was too young and never got to see them. (I was 10 in '77. So close...) I did catch a few solo tours with David Gilmour's Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. This was all kind of after the fact stuff with mostly just fx and folly in surround. None of the aggressive stuff from the pre Dark Side days.

Robert Fripp League of Crafty Guitarists show that was sort of in quad surround. Mostly just Fripp's soundscapes. It was in a room that didn't work very well for it. The overall sound was still well balanced though and it was a great show.

That's it!

I could list all kinds of bands that happen to have surround mixed albums but it never translated to their live shows i any way shape or form.

Yes I know , but I think it's more fun to include quad/surround albums from each . I suppose I'm Just testing memories and keeping this thread relevant for all the QQ quadraphiles/surroundophiles .

BTW Pink Floyd used a mono quad "Asimuth Coordinator" , and I missed their Electric Moo Tour show at the Winnipeg Concert Hall In 1969 !!
They used the quadrophonic unit with their performance . Heard all about the speaker layout covering stage ,both walls (left, right) and back of hall. " Grandchester Meadows" had the full version of the guy that does the walk around steps chasing the fly in a circular presentation.
Pretty freaky show that I missed , all because of poor advertising ! :censored:
My first intro to Pink Floyd was early in 69 with the Electric Moo album . And we were all amazed !

Ok, let my try to remember all:
Pink Floyd (Pulse tour). Surround
Roger Waters. Dark Side, Wall, Us and Them tours. All in surround.
Steven Wilson. Only missed To the Bone tour, as far as I remember all had surround sound
And I can't remember any other live act I attended in surround.
Then, other artists that have released some surround stuff:
Nick Mason
David Gilmour
Jean Michel Jarre
Alan Parsons
Mark Knopfler
Peter Gabriel
Porcupine Tree
Gloria Estefan
Yes
King Crimson
Marillion
Fish
Ian Anderson
Björk
Joe Satriani
Coldplay
Diana Krall
Silje Nergaard
Pat Metheny

And some honourable mentions (at least they have some DVD concerts in surround):
U2
Loreena McKennitt
Asia
Supertramp
Adele

I saw Pink Floyd in Quad at Knebworth, Roger Water with some surround, and I missed Argent in Quad at St. Albans, though I did see the set-up during the sound check! Bands I've seen that have released surround/Quad studio albums are (that I've remembered so far!).
Ian Anderson​
Beautiful Days Festival​
Argent​
1970s​
St. Albans City Hall​
Barclay James Harvest​
1970s​
St. Albans City Hall​
Beach Boys​
1980​
Knebworth Festival​
Be Bop Deluxe​
1970s​
St. Albans City Hall​
Eric Clapton​
Hemel Hempstead Pavillion/Birmingham NEC​
Alice Cooper​
Fairport's Cropredy Festival​
Robert Cray​
Birmingham NEC​
Doobie Brothers​
St. David's Hall Cardiff​
The Enid​
Giants Of Rock Festival​
Fairport Convention​
Foreigner​
Peter Gabriel​
Birmingham NEC​
Rory Gallagher​
1970s​
St. Albans City Hall​
Genesis​
1978​
Knebworth Festival​
Gillan​
Top Rank, Cardiff​
Gong​
Beautiful Days Festival/Mad Hatters Festival​
Steve Hackett​
Loads of places​
Hawkwind​
1975, 1995 onwards​
Watford Civic Hall/Too many to mention!​
Hot Tuna​
1976​
Knebworth Festival​
Jefferson Starship​
1978​
Knebworth Festival​
Jethro Tull​
Loads of places​
BB King​
Birmingham NIA​
King Crimson​
Lynyrd Skynyrd​
1976​
Knebworth Festival​
Marillion​
Cornwall Coliseum, St. Austell​
Steve Miller Band​
1975​
Knebworth Festival​
Gary Moore​
1970s​
St. Albans City Hall​
Van Morrison​
Mostly Autumn​
Mike Oldfield​
1980​
Knebworth Festival​
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers​
1978​
Knebworth Festival​
Pineapple Thief​
2019​
Bristol​
Pink Floyd​
1975, 1994​
Knebworth FestivalEarl's Court​
Rolling Stones​
1976​
Knebworth Festival​
Rush​
Birmingham NEC​
Santana​
1980​
Knebworth Festival​
Tears For Fears​
Richard Thompson​
Fairport's Cropredy Festival/Trowbridge Folk Festival​
Walter Trout​
Hall for Cornwall, Truro​
Rick Wakeman​
Hemel Hempstead Pavillion/Birmingham NIA​
Rodger Waters​
O2 Millenium Dome​
The Who​
Cardiff NIA​
Steven Wilson​
Bristol Colston Hall/St. David's Hall Cardiff​
Wishbone Ash​
1970s, 1990s, 2000-ish​
Lots of place/Fairport's Cropredy Festival​
Yes​
Birmingham NIA​

The mid-70's was the golden era for me and concerts; don't go to many anymore, too much of a hassle and the loud mono sound sucks usually!

This is only a partial list, too hazy to remember many others. *Not in chronological order - sorry.

Dave Mason w/ Peter Frampton1975Lincoln NE.
Jefferson Starship (w Flo & Eddie)1975Lincoln NE.
The Allman Brothers Band (w/Grinderswitch)1976Omaha NE.
Santana1978Omaha NE.
Z. Z. TOP (W/ Blue Oyster Cult)1975Lincoln NE.
Jethro Tull1977Omaha NE.
1619560146589.png
The Edgar Winter Group (w/ Climax Blues Band)1975Omaha NE.
Aerosmith (w/Rick Derringer / Starz1976Omaha NE.
Boz Scaggs (w/ Jeff Harrington)1976Omaha NE.
Eric Clapton1983Sacramento CA
Santana1979Sacramento CA
Jefferson Starship (w/Rick Derringer / Heart)MID 1970's ???Omaha NE. "Heart smoked 'em all"
Donald Fagen2006Oakland Paramount Theatre
ZZ Top (w/ Pure Prairie League)1976Omaha NE.
ZZ Top (w/Styx)1977Lincoln NE.
Tower Of Power1993Roseville CA
Dire Straits1985Sacramento CA
The Eagles (w/ Dan Fogelberg)1975Omaha NE.
The Eagles (w/John David Souther)1976Omaha NE.
Steven Stills (w/ Elvin Bishop)1975Omaha NE. (Stills was drunk on his ass/Bishop a real Pro.)
Chicago1975Omaha NE.
Emerson Lake & Palmer1977Omaha NE. (Loudest show in my life, but Rockin' !!!)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (w/Head East / Firefall)1976Omaha NE.
Black Sabbath (w/ Brownsville Station)1975Lincoln NE. (Meet Tony Iommi after show (y))
Brian Auger & Eric Burdon1993Sacramento Holiday Inn (great show!)
Z.Z. TOP1983COW PALACE S.F. (is there a better place to see 'em?)
Tower Of Power (w/ Average White Band)1996Flamingo Hilton -Reno NV.
Jeff Beck (w/ Stevie Ray Vaughan) *Jeff Beck opened.1989Arco Arena -Sacramento CA
Santana (w/Foghat / Pure Prairie League)1976Iowa State Fairgrounds
The Who1975Des Moines, Iowa (Power outage in show due to Tornadoes but they stayed and gave a great show!)

Grand Funk Railroad: Chicago International Amphitheater 11/72

Jethro Tull: Chicago Stadium 9/73

Blue Oyster Cult: Auditorium Theater in Chicago. The best I am a able to determine the concert was held in 12/73 but I may be wrong.

Black Sabbath: Chicago International Amphitheater 2/74

Deep Purple: Chicago International Amphitheater 3/74

As I recall, Iggy Pop/Stooges were supposed to open for Blue Oyster Cult but cancelled at the last minute. The Raspberries agreed to appear as a last minute substitute. A significant part of the crowd was there to see Iggy and for awhile they mercilessly heckled the Raspberries. I gained a lot of respect for Eric Carmen by the way he handled the angry crowd. He eventually won the majority of them over.

The Chicago International Amphitheater was on the south of Chicago and not located in an ideal area. It was also a long way from the northwest suburbs were I lived. My friends and I were too young to drive so we had to convince our parents to take us. Looking back I really appreciate all of the parents who drove us there.

The mid-70's was the golden era for me and concerts; don't go to many anymore, too much of a hassle and the loud mono sound sucks usually!

This is only a partial list, too hazy to remember many others. *Not in chronological order - sorry.

Dave Mason w/ Peter Frampton1975Lincoln NE.
Jefferson Starship (w Flo & Eddie)1975Lincoln NE.
The Allman Brothers Band (w/Grinderswitch)1976Omaha NE.
Santana1978Omaha NE.
Z. Z. TOP (W/ Blue Oyster Cult)1975Lincoln NE.
Jethro Tull1977Omaha NE. View attachment 66564
The Edgar Winter Group (w/ Climax Blues Band)1975Omaha NE.
Aerosmith (w/Rick Derringer / Starz1976Omaha NE.
Boz Scaggs (w/ Jeff Harrington)1976Omaha NE.
Eric Clapton1983Sacramento CA
Santana1979Sacramento CA
Jefferson Starship (w/Rick Derringer / Heart)MID 1970's ???Omaha NE. "Heart smoked 'em all"
Donald Fagen2006Oakland Paramount Theatre
ZZ Top (w/ Pure Prairie League)1976Omaha NE.
ZZ Top (w/Styx)1977Lincoln NE.
Tower Of Power1993Roseville CA
Dire Straits1985Sacramento CA
The Eagles (w/ Dan Fogelberg)1975Omaha NE.
The Eagles (w/John David Souther)1976Omaha NE.
Steven Stills (w/ Elvin Bishop)1975Omaha NE. (Stills was drunk on his ass/Bishop a real Pro.)
Chicago1975Omaha NE.
Emerson Lake & Palmer1977Omaha NE. (Loudest show in my life, but Rockin' !!!)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (w/Head East / Firefall)1976Omaha NE.
Black Sabbath (w/ Brownsville Station)1975Lincoln NE. (Meet Tony Iommi after show (y))
Brian Auger & Eric Burdon1993Sacramento Holiday Inn (great show!)
Z.Z. TOP1983COW PALACE S.F. (is there a better place to see 'em?)
Tower Of Power (w/ Average White Band)1996Flamingo Hilton -Reno NV.
Jeff Beck (w/ Stevie Ray Vaughan) *Jeff Beck opened.1989Arco Arena -Sacramento CA
Santana (w/Foghat / Pure Prairie League)1976Iowa State Fairgroun, ds
The Who1975Des Moines, Iowa (Power outage in show due to Tornadoes but they stayed and gave a great show!)

Damn, buddy, I was at several of those 70s Nebraska shows.

Uh, did you have an Air Force haircut in those days, or were you working on an Ag College degree? :cool:

Butch for sure! Serving four for our country at U.S.A.F. Strategic Air Command Headquarters.

Had a pretty strong hunch that was the case.
Sometimes you gotta wear your long hair on the inside.

I started my career in radiological field service in '79 and had many former Offutt AFB co-workers through the years.
They recently moved the Looking Glass planes to here in Lincoln so they can repair the Offutt runways damaged by the Missouri river flood.

There are some great lists here... Let's see what I can do...
Al Stewart - First tour was Year of the Cat (in a small club at San Diego State
Alanis Morrissette - Her first tour (sat behind Charles Fleischer)
Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare
Allman Brothers - in the 70s after he died
Allison Moorer (album was "Show") - The first Austin City Limits Music Festival in 2002
Arlo Guthrie - sometime in the 80's I think
The Band - The Dylan tour with the band back in 72 I think (it is the one they made the album from... I was at one of the shows they recorded in L.A.)
Beach Boys - Somewhere along the line I saw them.
Bette Midler - The Divine Miss M tour (her first national tour with Barry Manilow as music director)
Billy Cobham - 70's sometime in a small club
Billy Joel - He opened for Janis Ian. Those of us on the West Coast had never heard of him before. I believe Piano Man was all there was then.
Bob Dylan - With The Band (see above), in the 90's with Van Morrison and Joni Mitchel and then many years later in Austin at ACL
Bruce Springsteen (Devils and Dust) - Which of the over 30 times do you want to know about? I was on the front rail twice.
Chicago - The Chicago IV tour I believe
Chuck Mangione - A few times in the 70's and 80's
Cowboy Junkies - In a club in the early 2000s
Crowded House - Their most recent reunion tour, about 8 years ago?
Dan Hicks - I think he opened for The Pointer Sister first tour
The Eagles - Austin about 12 years ago
ELO - On The Third Day tour
Elvis Costello (North) - First time was in the late 70's at San Diego State.
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Five For Fighting - Americatown shows in L.A.
Fleetwood Mac - Big Outdoor stadium show. They were an early band in the lineup playing their new Eponymous album.
Frank Zappa - New Years Eve, drunk, Who remembers. In Long Beach of all places.
Genesis - First time was the Lamb tour
Gentle Giant - 75 or 76?
Gong - They were Part of the Manifestival in L.A. 79 I think.
Greg Kihn (All The Right Reasons Anthology) 1978 at a college radio convention we put on. There's a story about hanging in the bathroom with his manager banging on the door trying to get him out. We had a great time.
Indigo Girls - Several times with my soon to be gay wife (long story, but if you read this far, congrats!) in the 90s.
J Geils - 70 sometime.
James Taylor - A couple of times. Can't remember when. He had a full orchestra once. That was pretty cool.
Janis Ian - See Billy Joel above.
Jeff Beck - Just a couple of years ago. Amazing!
Jethro Tull - first time was the Thick as a Brick tour
Joe Bonamassa - Austin City Limits music festival in the mid 2000s
John Fogerty - Austin City Limits music festival 2009 or 10
John Hiatt - First time he opened for Graham Parker back in the 90s. Saw him many times. Chatted with him a few.
John Mayer - First Tour
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark tour (I had a 100+fever in the third balcony. It was like an angel was talking to me)
Judy Collins - About 5 years ago
Kansas - Song for America tour
King Crimson - 2016 with the 3 drummers.
Kris Kristofferson - He opened for Patty Griffin I believe, about 6 or 7 years ago
Led Zeppelin (How the West Was Won... does that count) - Houses of the Holy tour
Leonard Cohen (Live in London... does that count?) - Live in London tour
Linda Ronstadt (What's New) - The Mariachi tour
Los Lonely Boys - Just released their first album. Saw them in Austin. Wow!
Mary Fahl - (From the Dark Side of the Moon) Saw her a couple of times back about a dozen years ago.
Medski Martin & Wood - Austin City Limits (or was is SXSW?)
Neil Young - That horrible 50s phase he went through
Nektar - About 8 years ago
Norah Jones - Opened for John Mayer on his first tour
Pat Metheny - Sometime in the early 80s or late 70s.
Peter Gabriel - All of his early tours
Pink Floyd - The Wall Tour
Poncho Sanchez - In a park somewhere
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing tour was the first time.
Pretenders - Their first tour
Queen - I don't remember. I sort of got dragged to it.
REM - Can't remember. Early 80s
Renaissance - Mid 70s
Return To Forever - Mid 70s
Richard Thompson - About 12 years ago
Rod Stewart - He was in a 70s festival... Don't remember the year.
Roxy Music - 78 or 79
Ryan Adams - Gold Tour
Siouxsie & The Banshees (best of) - At the Whiskey some time in the late 70s
Steely Dan - Their reunion tour (why did I go?)
Stomu Yamashta (Red Buddha) - The Go tour
Talking Heads - 77 or 78 The manager of the club asked me: Ramones or Talking Heads. I said TH and he went with it.
Tangerine Dream - Saw them with the laser show. Most of my friends were to spaced out to even talk to.
The Pixies - Another reunion tour... Austin 12 or so years ago
The Wallflowers - First time was the surfing championships in H.B. After the 2nd album I think.
The Who - Late 80's
Tom Petty - 78 I believe, touring with the first album
Van Morrison - See Dylan above
Yes - First time was probably Topographic Oceans.

There are probably more and some of these are only quad releases, so...

These are all the bands I've seen for which I have some surround content.

Black Sabbath x 2
Blue Oyster Cult x 2
Dream Theater x 2
Guns 'N' Roses x 2
Heart x 4
Don Henley x 1
Iron Maiden x 5
Billy Joel x 2
Elton John x 1
Paul McCartney x 1
Metallica x 1
Pink Floyd (w/o Waters) x 2
Porcupine Tree x 1
Queensryche x 3
Rush x 20+
Soundgarden x 1
Styx x 3
Roger Waters x 2
Steven Wilson x 2
Yes x 1

Yes I know , but I think it's more fun to include quad/surround albums from each . I suppose I'm Just testing memories and keeping this thread relevant for all the QQ quadraphiles/surroundophiles .

BTW Pink Floyd used a mono quad "Asimuth Coordinator" , and I missed their Electric Moo Tour show at the Winnipeg Concert Hall In 1969 !!
They used the quadrophonic unit with their performance . Heard all about the speaker layout covering stage ,both walls (left, right) and back of hall. " Grandchester Meadows" had the full version of the guy that does the walk around steps chasing the fly in a circular presentation.
Pretty freaky show that I missed , all because of poor advertising ! :censored:
My first intro to Pink Floyd was early in 69 with the Electric Moo album . And we were all amazed !
I'm jealous!

I am aware of their azimuth coordinator panners and the diamond quad system. Are you calling it "mono quad" to illustrate that it panned around the circle but not through the middle? I think these guys had the leslie idea in mind originally with this.

One of my hobbies is trying to find multiple audience recorders for their shows to sync then up and restore the live surround mix elements. As much as possible, of course. We have the ability to sync drifty analog sources with precision and no quality loss now. Unfortunately, tapers didn't anticipate this and coordinate themselves near the surround speakers! (Although there are a couple of these!) Most of them went for good seats and you end up with 3 recorders all within 6 rows of each other.

Back