HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - AMERICAN WOMAN & SHARE THE LAND [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - AMERICAN WOMAN & SHARE THE LAND

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Torn between 9 and 10 on this one. Two classic albums. The quad mixes are good. Even adventurous at times. (Hang On To Your Life). I’ve heard so much about how great the Columbia quads were (and they are), but these RCAs are no slouches either!

The mastering is the usual DV “10”. Only tempted to knock off 1/2 a point or so because the fidelity is average-for-1970 to begin with. These albums were never Abbey Road or Bridge Over Troubled Water in the first place.

But this is pretty damn good. Really damn good.

Awww what the hell. 10 it is!

Last edited:
I finally got to hear this one. I know from the earlier posts that the sound quality of this release is a bit better than that of the Audio Fidelity Best Of The Guess Who SACD...possibly because "best of" albums can be a tape generation down on the food chain. But I am truly stunned, particularly with the cuts that didn't make it onto the Best Of album. These tracks are so much more enjoyable in quad than in stereo.

Also, by listening to the entire American Woman album, tracks with the suspect channel assignments are now quite apparent. The songs with the correct channel assignments have a bit more of a cohesive sound. I'll have to fix this when I'm able.

Highly recommended. 10.

...the sound quality of this release is a bit better than that of the Audio Fidelity Best Of The Guess Who SACD...
Depends on your audio system.
I find the sound quality on the Audio Fidelity SACD better on the system here.

Ah, it's an imperfect world. But compared to latter day, over-compressed, hot-high-end red book CD's, both the AF and DV SACD's are way closer to perfection.

Finally got around to ripping this and trying out the channel swaps... wow, "Talisman" sounds so cool at the end with the 2 guitars following each other around the room! "American Woman" has a bit more "punch" to it, as well... Thanks for the detective work, Q-Eight :)
This is a great sounding disc... 9.

I’ve approached this review a little different. I wanted to hear this twofer for the first time (SACD) and just record my immediate impressions, without re-reading prior reviews here, in order to limit any preconceptions, and to have my own thoughts up front.

American Woman-

- American Woman
From the very first harmonic pick I knew this was going to be something special! It was so clear sounding, like never before. This classic rock gem just sparkled like being born again, but of course with an immersive and discrete force filling the room. It instantly took me back to the early 70’s with my old buddies and thoughts of a much simpler time. The main vocals appeared to be placed within a triangular field from front/left, rear/left and rear/right.

- No Time
Another classic gem, with the main distorted guitar riffs moving around the channels. Plenty of beautiful vocal harmonies. Some of the arpeggiated clean guitar runs floated between channels.

- Talisman
Clarity of the acoustic guitar and piano was impressive throughout. Again, with this track, I reflected on the similarity in tonal quality of Cummings’ vocals to that of Jim Morrison’s. An abundance of movement of piano and guitar across channels.

- No Sugar Tonight -New Mother Nature
Enjoyed the drumming placement in the rears. The main vocals on this one seemed mostly in the rears, which I’m not a fan of; but then they shifted to the fronts on New Mother Nature.
Another classic rock staple and lots of fun.

- 969 (The Oldest Man) (Instrumental)
A pure Bachman Blues rocker/instrumental; with an unexpected shift of styles at about the 1:30 mark of a cool-crazy cat interlude with flute. (Reminded me a little of the BTO song “Blue Collar” to come later.)

- When Friends Fall Out
Lots of movement of heavily distorted guitar around the channels (but never thought it sounded gimmicky at any time.) Funny how on some songs/instruments, even a subtle shift from channel to channel can sound gimmicky; but that just wasn’t the case here for me.

- 8:15
Sounded sort of like a throwback to a The Yardbirds song.
Really enjoyed the drum & vocal ending.

- Proper Stranger
I thought this one had a nice amount of grit to the music that just seemed to represent the time period it was created in; reminded me of “The Who”, and I believe if played on the radio more during that time, it could easily have been a hit song.

- Humpty’s Blues -American Woman (Epilogue)
This is just a great Blues-Rock song and I always love the use of harmonica on The Guess Who songs. IMO, Cummings’ vocals are as strong as you’ll ever hear them on this one.
Also, a nice low tone (probably bridge pickup) guitar solo for a change of color.

Share The Land-

- Bus Rider
The guitar solo goes crazy around the room!
This one reminded me of an early Beatles tune.

- Do You Miss Me Darlin’
One with a little country twang to it.
Another powerful Cummings’ performance with beautiful harmonies.

- Hand Me Down World
The classic rock hits continue with this one; and makes me want to sing along at high volume (just try to keep up with Cummings’ vocals and you’ll appreciate just how special his singing was!)

- Moan For You Joe
The change in style was refreshing, with a jazziness that just tickled me. Really love these style detours on an album that shows off the talents of the musicians.

- Share The Land
OK – this officially makes for an embarrassment of rock classics; this one took me back more than any of the songs for some reason. More stunning vocal harmonies!

- Hang On To Your Life
Another rocker I remember fondly from long ago with its catchy riffs.
Vocals and guitars bouncing around channels is very active, a real surround gem.

- Coming Down Off The Money Bag – Song Of The Dog
A fun bluegrass & blues influenced ditty and a surround wonderland.
Sort of had an old Savoy Brown feel to it.

- Three More Days
Again a Buffalo Springfield/Stephen Stills feel to me.
Love the flute and piano interlude.

This twofer is not only loaded up with great classic rock hits; but was a solid listen from begging to end; and I don’t remember such a long listening session I’ve enjoyed more in… I don’t know how long.

Another treasure from Michael Dutton and team, along with extensive David Zimmerman liner notes.
Better get ‘em before they sell out, or let the repenting begin!

Here is the Dutton Vocalion link for the set:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8564

Packaging – 10%

5%- Form & Function (Ease of access to its contents, appropriate size & secure storage.)
{Typical}

5%- Value (Extra contents considered- value added or excess trinkets.)
{Very Good/Excellent – Great liner notes by David Zimmerman aka @steelydave }

Audio Fidelity – 30%

10%- Perceived Dynamic Range (Sounding loud / bothersome, clarity & quietness.)
{Very Good}

10%- Equalization (Balance across the frequency range appropriate for the music.)
{Very Good}

10%- Production qualities (Studio Production / live recording.) & Mastering.
{VERY GOOD/EXCELLENT – I don’t believe we’ll ever hear this any better!}

Surround Mix – 30% (of 30%)

10%- Degree of Discreteness between all channels (Level of ambience overall.)
{Very Good}

10%- Spatial Definition (How each note is projected to a defined point in the room.)
{Very Good}

10% (of 10%)- Instruments, Sound Effects and Vocals (evaluating instrument placement and levels)
{Very Good: Everything was used effectively as is, and didn’t notice anything I felt should be changed, at least for my system and environment.}

Content – 30% (of 30%)

15%- Does the music make you feel something (heartfelt, excitable, somber, self-reflective?)
{Very Satisfied}

15%- Overall quality of the music (How many songs resonate with you overall?)
{Very Satisfied – great songs from start to finish, never felt anything was filler.}

My vote is a strong (got to have it) 10 on this release!

Last edited:
I’ve approached this review a little different. I wanted to hear this twofer for the first time (SACD) and just record my immediate impressions, without re-reading prior reviews here, in order to limit any preconceptions, and to have my own thoughts up front.

American Woman-

- American Woman
From the very first harmonic pick I knew this was going to be something special! It was so clear sounding, like never before. This classic rock gem just sparkled like being born again, but of course with an immersive and discrete force filling the room. It instantly took me back to the early 70’s with my old buddies and thoughts of a much simpler time. The main vocals appeared to be placed within a triangular field from front/left, rear/left and rear/right.

- No Time
Another classic gem, with the main distorted guitar riffs moving around the channels. Plenty of beautiful vocal harmonies. Some of the arpeggiated clean guitar runs floated between channels.

- Talisman
Clarity of the acoustic guitar and piano was impressive throughout. Again, with this track, I reflected on the similarity in tonal quality of Cummings’ vocals to that of Jim Morrison’s. An abundance of movement of piano and guitar across channels.

Enjoyed the drumming placement in the rears. The main vocals on this one seemed mostly in the rears, which I’m not a fan of; but then they shifted to the fronts on New Mother Nature.

A pure Bachman Blues rocker/instrumental; with an unexpected shift of styles at about the 1:30 mark of a cool-crazy cat interlude with flute. (Reminded me a little of the BTO song “Blue Collar” to come later.)

- When Friends Fall Out
Lots of movement of heavily distorted guitar around the channels (but never thought it sounded gimmicky at any time.) Funny how on some songs/instruments, even a subtle shift from channel to channel can sound gimmicky; but that just wasn’t the case here for me.

- Proper Stranger
I thought this one had a nice amount of grit to the music that just seemed to represent the time period it was created in; reminded me of “The Who”, and I believe if played more on the radio more during that time, it could easily have been a hit song.

This is just a great Blues-Rock song and I always love the use of harmonica on The Guess Who songs. IMO, Cummings’ vocals are as strong as you’ll ever hear them on this one.
Also, a nice low tone (probably bridge pickup) guitar solo for a change of color.

Share The Land-

- Bus Rider

- Do You Miss Me Darlin’

- Hand Me Down World
The classic rock hits continue with this one; and makes me want to sing along at high volume (just try to keep up with Cummings’ vocals and you’ll appreciate just how special his singing was!)

- Moan For You Joe
The change in style was refreshing, with a jazziness that just tickled me. Really love these style detours on an album that shows off the talents of the musicians.

- Share The Land
OK – this officially makes for an embarrassment of rock classics; this one took me back more than any of the songs for some reason. More stunning vocal harmonies!

- Hang On To Your Life
Another rocker I remember fondly form long ago with its catchy riffs.
Vocals and guitars bouncing around channels is very active, a real surround gem.

- Three More Days

This twofer is not only loaded up with great classic rock hits; but was a solid listen from begging to end; and I don’t remember such a long listening session I’ve enjoyed more in… I don’t know how long.

Another treasure from Michael Dutton and team, along with extensive David Zimmerman liner notes.

Packaging – 10%

5%- Form & Function (Ease of access to its contents, appropriate size & secure storage.)
{Typical}

Audio Fidelity – 30%

{Very Good}

10%- Equalization (Balance across the frequency range appropriate for the music.)
{Very Good}

{Very Good}

10%- Spatial Definition (How each note is projected to a defined point in the room.)
{Very Good}

10% (of 10%)- Instruments, Sound Effects and Vocals (evaluating instrument placement and levels)
{Very Good: Everything was used effectively as is, and didn’t notice anything I felt should be changed, at least for my system and environment.}

Content – 30% (of 30%)

15%- Does the music make you feel something (heartfelt, excitable, somber, self-reflective?)
{Very Satisfied}

{Very Satisfied – great songs from start to finish, never felt anything was filler.}

Excellent detailed review, Pupster!

American Woman-

- American Woman

- No Time

- Talisman

- When Friends Fall Out

- Proper Stranger
I thought this one had a nice amount of grit to the music that just seemed to represent the time period it was created in; reminded me of “The Who”, and I believe if played on the radio more during that time, it could easily have been a hit song.

Share The Land-

- Bus Rider

- Do You Miss Me Darlin’

- Hand Me Down World

- Moan For You Joe

- Share The Land

- Hang On To Your Life
Another rocker I remember fondly from long ago with its catchy riffs.

- Three More Days

Packaging – 10%

{Typical}

Audio Fidelity – 30%

{Very Good}

{Very Good}

{Very Good}

{Very Good}

Content – 30% (of 30%)

{Very Satisfied}

Wow J-Pup, one of best reviews ever, thanks for taking the time. It is not easy to write a review like that. A lot of thought and detail went into that.

I voted 9. I listened to 2/3 this morning, went for a bike ride and came back and finished. I have 2 DV discs and 1 AF disc for a total of 5 Guess Who albums. This is my favorite. I felt a little bit wishing for a better front on the American Woman album, it seemed to me the rears where slightly elevated, taking away from the fronts, slightly.
This was confirmed to me when Share The Land seemed a little better, more of a better balance between front and rears.
I am being picky and I could have adjusted front and rear volumes to my taste but for a review all discs take the even playing field.
Highly enjoyable. Most likely will listen again.

This disc was a LOT of fun to listen to. Clean crisp & clear quad mixes, deep bass and clear vocals. I thought Share the Land (the album overall) had a pretty adventurous mix, with guitar solos bouncing around the room a lot, and the backing vocal swirls during Hang On To Your Life were a treat. This was everything I had hoped for. An easy 10.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of stuff from DV recently. I figured if I was going to get it shipped from Europe to the US, I might as well make it worth my while. When I opened the package, this Guess Who disc was in the lot. I didn't even remember buying it! :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm not much of a "rocker" anymore, but I guess I recognized a few of the songs from this and thought,why not?

I'm SOOooo glad I did. I can't believe the mix on this. I'm only on the first few tunes and I know this is going to be on of the discs I use when COVID breaks and I can invite friends over to see my vintage system. American Woman was great. No Time was even better! Wow. Definitely a FULL 10 and I haven't even gotten halfway through the disc.

I bought a bunch of stuff from DV recently. I figured if I was going to get it shipped from Europe to the US, I might as well make it worth my while. When I opened the package, this Guess Who disc was in the lot. I didn't even remember buying it! :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm not much of a "rocker" anymore, but I guess I recognized a few of the songs from this and thought,why not?

I'm SOOooo glad I did. I can't believe the mix on this. I'm only on the first few tunes and I know this is going to be on of the discs I use when COVID breaks and I can invite friends over to see my vintage system. American Woman was great. No Time was even better! Wow. Definitely a FULL 10 and I haven't even gotten halfway through the disc.

Pick up the Wheatfield Soul/Canned Wheat disc if you're enjoying this one. It's every bit as good. 😊

Back