HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - BEST OF THE GUESS WHO [SACD 4.0]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - The Best of The Guess Who

• 10 - Excellent Surround, Excellent Fidelity, Excellent Content

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • 9 -

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • 8 -

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • 7 -

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • 6 -

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5 -

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 4 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
On No Time and American Woman, just do the moves mentioned in bold.

I know when I first posted, I mentioned a different move, and then rotating the field one position to the left. But then I thought that a bit convoluted and figured out the above repositioning scheme. Sometimes, I'm figuring this out as we go along, too.
Thank you.

You know while listening to the other Guess Who SACDs on DV, I compared a few songs that appear in quad mixes on both this SACD and the DV quad SACD albums like Share The Land and American Woman. I came to the conclusion that this quad SACD on AF could have sounded a bit better had the individual quad album masters been used for each song to compile it. Not sure if this was already mentioned in a QQ thread. And then there is the issue of album versions that would replace hit 45 single versions, thus making this "Best of" album not resembling the original album quite right. Not sure, but I would be interested in hearing what others think.

I may go and reassemble this album from each albums tracks from DV quad SACD just to see if it works.

You know while listening to the other Guess Who SACDs on DV, I compared a few songs that appear in quad mixes on both this SACD and the DV quad SACD albums like Share The Land and American Woman. I came to the conclusion that this quad SACD on AF could have sounded a bit better had the individual quad album masters been used for each song to compile it. Not sure if this was already mentioned in a QQ thread. And then there is the issue of album versions that would replace hit 45 single versions, thus making this "Best of" album not resembling the original album quite right. Not sure, but I would be interested in hearing what others think.

I may go and reassemble this album from each albums tracks from DV quad SACD just to see if it works.
The problem with best of's is that they are someone else's opinion of what is best. At times album versions of songs are better while single versions perhaps have more "punch".

I agree that the tracks on the DV discs sound better than the tracks on this disc.

Splitting hairs but to me if a release is called "Greatest Hits" it should only include single versions of those songs but If called "Best Of" then album tracks are fine. I know that "convention" is never followed and the two tiles are used interchangeably.

Interesting fact that "No Sugar Tonight" has only appeared minus "New Mother Nature" on the single release as the backside of "American Woman". Edit: was also on the pre K-Tel "20 Explosive Hits By 20 Original Stars" . New Mother was never a radio hit (IMHO it should not be included). I understand that the two are always coupled together at the insistence of Burton Cummings.

"When Friends Fall Out" was a Canadian hit but the single was different than the version on American Woman. "Proper Stranger" the backside of "No Time" received much airplay in Canada. I would have included both in a compilation.

"No Time" has two versions, the original album version from "Canned Wheat" and the single version which is also included on the "American Woman" album. I personally prefer the original longer version.

Conclusion it would be a great idea to tailor make your own best of from album tracks of one's choice!

Last edited:

I removed “Best Of“ from my hard drive and just listen to the DV versions. Side one of the AF Best Of album is somewhat dull sounding compared to the DV versions.

Any Guess Who best of collection that doesn’t include Proper Stranger is lacking an essential track.

Heck I bought all of them to recreate the songs from The Best Of The Guess Who [1971] and figured it would be a good time to also check out stuff I was way less familiar with.
I enjoy the collected variant.
Now my Jethro Tull Original Masters needs some lovin' ...

I removed “Best Of“ from my hard drive and just listen to the DV versions. Side one of the AF Best Of album is somewhat dull sounding compared to the DV versions.

Any Guess Who best of collection that doesn’t include Proper Stranger is lacking an essential track.
Interesting! Are all of the Best Of tracks accounted for on D-V Quad albums?
Or did D-V also release a Best Of?
Can't remember!!!

Interesting! Are all of the Best Of tracks accounted for on D-V Quad albums?
Or did D-V also release a Best Of?
Can't remember!!!
Yes, they are all on the DV quad albums:

These Eyes: Wheatfield Soul
Laughing: Canned Wheat
Undun: Canned Wheat
No Time: American Woman
American Woman: ditto
No Sugar Tonight: ditto
Hand Me Down World: Share The Land
Bus Rider: ditto
Share The Land: ditto
Do You Miss Me Darlin: ditto
Hang On To Your Life: ditto

There are way too many tracks from Share The Land on this set considering the number of albums from which they had to choose material. Some songs are reportedly slightly different on the Best Of set than on the original albums. Then there are the track mis-assignment issues...blah, blah, blah...

DV also released the Best Of Volume II.

The quad layers on AF's SACDs were usually not mastered, while D-V's are. A little EQ makes a big difference!
It also doesn't help that the hot high end on the stereo version of These Eyes is welded into my brain. Brains are like that. I still hear the drop out on Day Tripper even though it was fixed on "1" a couple of generations ago.

Back