HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - ROAD FOOD & #10 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - ROAD FOOD & #10

• Total voters
Although two of The Guess Who's weaker albums, he sound quality and surround mix are both excellent. I already had both albums on CD-4 and #10 on Quad reel as well. One Way Road To Hell is my favorite track, other notables are Star Baby, Clap for the Wolfman and Glamour Boy. Nice how they combined both front covers (track list of Road Food added to #10 cover) for this release. Hope we get more Guess Who in the future. I would love "Wheatfield Soul" and "Canned Wheat" as a two-fer. And of coarse "American Woman" and "Share the Land" as well. Don't forget "Rockin' "and "Power In The Music". I don't think any Quads of "So Long Bannatyne", "Live At The Paramount" or "Flavours" were released although some tracks from those are on "The Best Of Vol. II". How about just do a box set? I have to vote a 10!

Quote: (I don't think any Quads of "So Long Bannatyne", "Live At The Paramount" or "Flavours" were released"

I've got to stop posting late a night, I wasn't thinking, "Flavours" was released as Quad, I had meant to say "Artificial Paradise".

I voted 8. The music has grown on me a little. The quad mix is good and keeps me interested enough. Quite enjoyable. Glad to have them. I liked raod food better than 10. I would buy more Guess who in quad, Thanks DV.

Gave this puppy a nine.
Excellent quad mixes on both albums .
And I'm sorta familiar with the tunes being that they received a lot of radio play here as their hometown .

Really like those comprehensive and historical liner notes , thanks Steelydave. You could probably write the book on quad recordings I think anyways.
Upon observation I always found Burton Cummings vocal stylings attempt to copy Jim Morrison (not so much Van ). But that's a personal opinion .

I'm hoping Dutton Vocalion continues with more quad Guess Who releases of course.

Of all the Vocalion discs I've written liner notes for, this is the one I find myself coming back to most often, especially Road Food.

#10 was an album I discovered when I first got in to quad, because it was available on a very nice sounding quad reel, but Road Food passed me by, both because it was only available on a Q8 and also because of my own confusion about which Guess Who Q8's were actually legit quad mixes.

Despite whatever internal strife was going on, the band sounds positively fired up on Road Food compared to the ragged and melancholy (but still beautiful) #10, and for me, the quad mix is a minor masterpiece and easily the definitive mix of the album - listen to the stereo mix and it sounds congested by comparison. I especially love the panning vocals on the title track, a song that for me ranks right up there with some of their best work. I think the backing vocals in general are worth highlighting, as you won't find too many rock and roll bands with three part harmonies like you hear on some of the songs on this album - Pleasin' for Reason and Straighten Out blow me away every time I hear them.

I also think this is easily the best sounding release of this material ever - Star Baby is a bit midrangey, but I think that's by design as the song has a bit of an early 60's R&B throwback vibe and I think they were going for that 'wall of sound' effect. The only way I can describe the tonality of the album is with the same description I'd give all of Vocalion's quad releases, and that is "relaxed" - nothing overly pumped up, and a joy to listen to at any volume. If you don't have this album, or haven't listened to it in a while, give it a spin - I think especially if you check your preconceptions at the door and don't think of the Guess Who as a band that had a bunch of AM radio hits 5 years before, it's a really rewarding listen.

Definitely at the top of my DV wish list.
This may be totally off topic, but it’s been revealed that Sony has pulled the licenses on Iconoclassic’s excellent run of Guess Who CDs.
Will that impact this Quad SACD and/or DVs ability to license other Guess Who quads in future?

...but Road Food passed me by, both because it was only available on a Q8 and also because of my own confusion about which Guess Who Q8's were actually legit quad mixes.

Excellent post as always, but one minor correction: there was a CD-4 vinyl release of Road Food in addition to the Q8.

I love the panning vocals on "One Way Road To Hell" :)

I have not voted for this.Played it almost through,but could not stand the music.Will never play it again.(n)

Well its on my list of dv to buy...have not yet placed dv order yet as im late to sacd party & have been trying to pickup stuff that's going or gone oop...if u dont like guess who if u want to part with it let me know

Definitely at the top of my DV wish list.
This may be totally off topic, but it’s been revealed that Sony has pulled the licenses on Iconoclassic’s excellent run of Guess Who CDs.
Will that impact this Quad SACD and/or DVs ability to license other Guess Who quads in future?
I hope that if that were the case - then D/V already have inked deals on a dozen titles at least - and we won't feel the end too soon. Must be some more in the pipeline getting pressed up right now!!!!!

Out of the 4 dv s ive picked up this is my 2nd best. Great albums...no its not greatest hits (dutton lets have it) but some good songs. Great mix great surround.
I give it a 9. Starbaby should have better.

Out of the 4 i picked up im surprised that i enjoyed pure prairie league the most. The surround is just amazing on that one

A month ago if someone asked me to name a Guess Who Song it would have been American Women & Share the Land (Tv & or Radio?), I've just picked up all that DV has on these, & firstly I'd like to nominate DVs RF/#10 as the best ever Rock Quad release here, why great Quad, a little quirky at times, but plenty of wow moments, really strong songs (#10 has the edge) & value for money - £12 for these two are you kidding me. So a 10 from me.
Great find for me, & lots more treasure in store at the DV store.

This video makes many Top of The Pops clips look like Hollywood productions. ;)

Wow, thanks for posting this (I just noticed it). I never saw that before. Talk about a massive lip-sync job. Geez, they wrote the song about him you'd think he'd show up and be in the video!

This tune was always a go-to CD-4 demo back in the day, and the D-V treatment makes sure that it stands for the rest of time.
Nice!

Growing up in Detroit with Canada right across the river we heard a lot of The Guess Who (and Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, etc.) I've always been a huge fan and was in heaven when I found these albums had been re-released in SACD/Quad. If you like what you hear so far, try out the "Rockin' & The Best of The Guess Who - Volume 2" disc. I ordered "American Woman/Share the Land" from Amazon, did some research and ordered the rest from Vocalion. Great stuff.

Back