Quad LP/Tape Poll Guess Who, The: Road Food [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Road Food"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 3 33.3%

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA APD1-0405, from 1974.

Side 1:

1. Star Baby
2. Attila's Blues
3. Straighten Out
4. Don't You Want Me
5. One Way Road To Hell

Side 2:

1. Clap For The Wolfman
2. Pleasin' For Reason
3. Road Food
4. Ballad Of The Last Five Years

ED :)

I like this one. Got both the CD-4 and Q8. Being me, I prefer the Q8 just for the stability of the mix. Having said that, the mix is a great CD-4 era RCA. It's a little front heavy with mostly guitars, effects and Wolfman Jack in the rears, but still very nice quad. The content is still really good for "later" Guess Who stuff. "One Way Road to Hell" smacks of their early quad tapes with the background singers' "One waaay rooad to hellllllllllllllll" spinning around the room. Thankfully, it's a slow enough spin that you can actually understand the words and locate which speaker it eminates from. It's a much better pan than the early tapes where a sound would pan so quickly, you got more of a pulsating noise than anything.

Much nicer mix, good content and being Canadian, I have to give a 10. The Guess Who Rock! :phones

Fine mix, but can't say the material excites me much, except for "Clap For The Wolfman," which is great fun. An '8' here.

"Clap for the Wolfman" is a great quad demo cut. Well known song (of the time), great surround effects, good presentation. This track alone makes the disc/tape a must have for quad collectors.

Agreed, even if you're not a Guess Who fan. But you'd have to be a fanatic to think this album is great. Oh, we have at least one here, right? :D ;)

Pickin' on the Canadian again, eh? Oh well.

What can I say? I like this album! It's not their best, but it's got a couple good songs on it. The mix is good and that helps. It's also good to be able to turn everything down and just listen to Kurt Winter's guitar work. :phones

Ballad Of The Last Five Years is an oddball but is one of my favorites on the record. Originally I bought it for Star Baby (who didn't) but overall it's IMO it's the last good solid record they did.

-Bob

Star Baby & Clap for the Wolfman are the great singles featured here. Road Food, the title track is the REAL gem! The mix is hot, too. I gave it a 7.

Linda
"Catch her if you can, Cathy was a man." I know a girl like that.

Last great album?? What about #10? Got this on Q8 and loved it. Although, at the time, I was made fun of by my friends who were into more progressive stuff. One Way Road to Hell helped get me a little cred though. Love to get the quad version of #10.

The content is nowhere near as good as their earlier stuff but the mix is so superior. It's almost like one of those Columbia mixes designed for matrix limitations, very wide and tons of separation. I gave it an 8

Back