Quad LP/Tape Poll Guess Who, The: Share The Land [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Share The Land"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Fourth RCA album, fall 1970.

Side 1:

1. Bus Rider
2. Do You Miss Me Darlin'
3. Hand Me Down World
4. Moan For You Joe
5. Share The Land

Side 2:

1. Hang On To Your Life
2. Coming Down Off The Money Bag/Song Of The Dog
3. Three More Days

Attachments

• Guess Who Share The Land.jpg
    Guess Who Share The Land.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 199
Had to give this album a 6, while the content is excellent the mixing is about on par with the American Woman album. It lacks definition for the most part and every song has that "everything comes from everywhere/ glorified MONO" sound to it. The exception being "Come down off the Money Bag". Even though we're back to having drums mostly in right rear with bleed to the rest, here we have different accoustic guitars occupying front and rear with no bleed at all! Lead guitar does it's usual hopping from channel to channel, but jumps between each break so it doesn't pulsate or drop out. Vocals are natural up front with effected vocals in the rear.

I'm not overly thrilled with this album. The lack of instrumental definition really irks me, considering how good the first two albums are. Sad to say they won't get any better 'til the advent of CD-4 and the release of "Best of Volume 2". The albums following this one "Rockin' " is another lacking mix and "Aritificial Paradise" is just as the name implies.... artificial and drenched in echo. Hit the 2-channel button for that one, fellas.

I've always wondered if perhaps less tracks were used for the first two albums(say, 4-track)compared to subsequent albums(8?). No idea, but from a mix and sonic standpoint, this is AMERICAN WOMAN MACH II. I don't find it that bad, and while I agree the mix is busy and could have been more discrete--not to mention keeping instruments in one place--it ain't lousy either, IMO. Five of these appear on the next one, BEST OF, which might seem like overkill, except all five were A's & B's...although "Hang On To Your Life" is the Lp mix heard here, not the interesting variant and edit that is the single version(which did finally turn up on CD a few years ago, though I prefer the sound of my Canadian Nimbus 45).

Unlike AW, I don't have the Japan CD-4 for this one, which I regret greatly, if only because I know for sure it would have better definition, less hiss, would simply be more enjoyable despite the drawbacks of the mix. With that in mind, I'll give it a '7'--not a bad score, but "Three More Days," while not a bad finish to the album, drags on a bit, and the mix doesn't lift it up sufficiently to put up with it all the way through.

ED :)

Back