• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - WHEATFIELD SOUL & CANNED WHEAT [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - WHEATFIELD SOUL & CANNED WHEAT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD reissue from Dutton Vocalion of the albums "Wheatfield Soul" and "Canned Wheat" by the Guess Who.
This SACD includes the release of the original Quadraphonic mixes of both albums for the first time in over 40 years! 🤯

WHEATFIELD SOUL
LP LSP-4141 (1969) STEREO/PQ8-1442 QUADRAPHONIC
1: THESE EYES (Bachman; Cummings)
2: PINK WINE SPARKLES IN THE GLASS (Bachman; Cummings)
3: I FOUND HER IN A STAR (Cummings)
4: FRIENDS OF MINE (Bachman; Cummings)
5: WHEN YOU TOUCH ME (Bachman; Cummings; Matheson)
6: A WEDNESDAY IN YOUR GARDEN (Bachman)
7: LIGHTFOOT (Bachman; Cummings; Matheson)
8: LOVE AND A YELLOW ROSE (Bachman; Cummings)
9: MAPLE FUDGE (Bachman; Cummings)
10: WE’RE COMING TO DINNER (Bachman; Cummings)

CANNED WHEAT
LP LSP-4157 (1969) STEREO/PQ8-1472 QUADRAPHONIC
11: NO TIME (Bachman; Cummings)
12: MINSTREL BOY (Bachman; Cummings)
13: LAUGHING (Bachman; Cummings)
14: UNDUN (Bachman)
15: 6 A.M. OR NEARER (Bachman)
16: OLD JOE (Cummings)
17: OF A DROPPING PIN (Bachman; Cummings)
18: KEY (Bachman; Cummings)
19: FAIR WARNING (Bachman; Cummings)

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDSML8570

Last edited:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Wow man! This is just so amazing. I've never heard these 2 albums by themselves. Wheatfield Soul is so different and psychedelic! Love it....who would have known?

Content - 10
Fidelity - 8
Mix - 8.5

AWESOME!! Average is 8.8, rounded up to 9. This is deserving. WOW!!

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Wow man! This is just so amazing. I've never heard these 2 albums by themselves. Wheatfield Soul is so different and psychedelic! Love it....who would have known?

Content - 10
Fidelity - 8
Mix - 8.5

Totally agree, Gene. Two more quality RCA QUAD analogue masters rescued from oblivion by the wonderful WIZARD of WATFORD!

Greg Z

These two albums have never sounded better to my ears. Sometimes there isn't much going on
surround wise (These Eyes) and then you have No Time with the guitar moving around the soundfield.
Getting all these Guess Who albums released in this format by D-V is more than I could ever have
hoped for. I had resigned myself to Q8 transfers a long time ago.
The Guess Who were my hometown heroes growing up so I subtracted 1 point to account for my
blatant bias and gave this release a 9.

The56Kid

800 Club - QQ All-Star

Content - 10
Fidelity - 8
Mix - 8.5

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. When I was 12, my four brothers and I were totally enthralled by Friends Of Mine. 51 years later, I finally have the opportunity to hear the hires quad version. Can’t wait!

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Got mine today. Pretty much just as I remember these albums but wow, much, much better fidelity. "We're Coming to Dinner" was particularly hissy on the Q8 for whatever reason but is relatively clean here. I like how we get the un-muted "These Eyes" (remember how the Q8/Reel of "The Best Of" mutes the front channels until the guitar kicks in?) and the early version of "No Time" is the one I prefer. I wonder how sore the engineers' hand was after "Love and a Yellow Rose"? Watching on my scope, something I never noticed before is that the fuzz guitar will go anti-clockwise for the first pass, but then clockwise on the second pass - in double time! This continues for the entire song! That panning joystick had some miles on it by the end for sure! Nice that Mr. Dutton added the little musical interludes back onto "6 a.m. or Nearer" and "Key". I don't believe those were present on the original Q8.

Can't believe these are on SACD in the year 2020. I wonder what it would cost to remix the whole Artificial Paradise album into something a little more listenable? If they could do a few tracks to complete Paul Revere & The Raiders' "Hard & Heavy", I'd be willing to cough up extra dough for a modern, yet vintage 4-channel mix of Artificial Paradise.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I used to wait up to 5 weeks for regular media mail delivery from Dutton~Vocalion but I added priority delivery to my last two orders and received them in New York in about a week. Doesn't really add much to the total s/h costs and considering what we're getting for our money .........those two and three~fers DO represent an exceptional value in today's reissue market!

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
We don't have "Media Mail" in Canada. We get "Registered" and "Unregistered". The cost of registered is double for me so I took the other. I usually get my packages in 7 to 10 days this way. Mine isn't terribly late but I am geting impatient. I just think the elves are still bopping to my tunes.

Reactions: GOS

bossfan

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Just listened to this full run through. Familiar with Guess Who (being a Cdn) but not familiar with these albums. Holy smokes they are great. Really not what I expected out of these Cdn boys so many years ago... Just outstanding. If you don't have it, get it. I'll vote 9.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I didn't spring for the DV tracking. I figure I pay with Paypal and they will make it right if the item gets lost.

I got a "shipped" notice from DV on December 19th. That's 14 business days ago (not including weekends and holidays). Its not the 5 weeks Ralph is talking about, but definitely the longest I've waited.

par4ken

400 Club - QQ All-Star
These earlier Guess Who albums had so many great tracks, many underappreciated or forgotten entirely. “Friends of Mine”, my favourite track from “Wheatfield Soul” was actually released as a promo single. I have a copy of the CKRC Young at Heart Chart from early March 68 showing it as number 4 on the CANADA TOP FIVE. The 10 minute song was split into two 5 minute sides. From November of the same year “Of a Dropping Pin “was numbed 2 on the CANADA TOP FIVE and number 29 on the main chart. That track was also featured on the pre K-tel “20 Power Hits” album. A Wednesday in Your Garden was a hit for Barry Allen, in Canada at least. I much prefer the original version of “No Time “to the latter released single version, and The Key would be my favourite track from Canned Wheat.

The Mixes are excellent but the sound quality is lacking, parts sound fine other parts sound muffled and distorted much like the sound of the Audio Fidelity “Best of”. I’m still very grateful for the release of this regardless of the limited sound quality of the surround mix. For those who don’t like the instrument placement on certain tracks, full centre vocals make it easy to swap around channels anyway you like!

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Anyone notice who has part credit for recording engineer on Wheatfield Soul- Elliot Scheiner!

🤯Fabulous all around - some of it has that Doors psychedelic sound i.e. "Friends of Mine."

*Edit - I just finished listening to Wheatfield Soul; and I'm spent from all the newly discovered music in glorious Quad (only knew These Eyes from this album.) Where the F**K have I been with this one?
Right there with my man Gene... just WOW!

Last edited:

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is a great two-fer, especially if you don't have the first greatest hits disc... 4 monster hits (These Eyes, No Time (an early version), Laughing, & Undun), but good music from start to finish with some real standouts (I love "Friends of Mine" and "Love And A Yellow Rose"). The fidelity is better than any conversions I've heard, with wild, discrete quad mixes too groovy not to own. This is my second favorite of all the Guess Who hi-rez surround releases behind the American Woman/Share The Land two-fer (another must-have). 9.

Group builder