DIGITAL Guns N‘ Roses - Appetite For Destruction Mix Fix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There doesn't appear to be any issue with "Paradise City", but the center channel in "Think About You" is offset by 2 ms.

Before:
View attachment 63923

After:
View attachment 63922

Looks correct to me. Did you notice any improvement in bass/kick presence?
If you look at it, and even me looking at the mix I got from the Blu Ray myself, it seems that for "Think About You", there are two synced sets of channels: the front two channels synced together, and the rest of the mix (center, LFE, and rears) synced together. I think this warrants a further look on the other songs as well.

Also, it's worth noting that when ripping the audio from the Blu Ray and playing it back, it may not account for a possible LFE +10dB when playing it through the Blu Ray. It does seem that the LFE should be 10dB louder on this mix, from my eyes and ears messing with the channels on a stereo setup, but I have yet to check this on an actual surround sound setup. Hoping to do so soon. (y)

Last edited:
If you look at it, and even me looking at the mix I got from the Blu Ray myself, it seems that for "Think About You", there are two synced sets of channels: the front two channels synced together, and the rest of the mix (center, LFE, and rears) synced together. I think this warrants a further look on the other songs as well.

Also, it's worth noting that when ripping the audio from the Blu Ray and playing it back, it may not account for a possible LFE +10dB when playing it through the Blu Ray. It does seem that the LFE should be 10dB louder on this mix, from my eyes and ears messing with the channels on a stereo setup, but I have yet to check this on an actual surround sound setup. Hoping to do so soon. (y)
Ok, so I noticed channel sync issues for "Out ta Get Me", "My Michelle", "Think About You", and bonus track "Patience", as well as LFE sync issues for the bonus tracks "Shadow of Your Love", "Used to Love Her", and "You're Crazy". I plan to type up more a bit later as to the specifics of these issues.

Here are the changes I made!

First of all, if you're skeptical of how such small edits can make a difference, listen to how the first three channels of the 5.1 "Think About You" mixed sound folded down before editing, and how they sound folded down after editing, with the bass guitar becoming much clearer, as well as the vocals losing their tube-like quality. This radical difference was achieved only by shifting the front left and front right channels 0.006 seconds earlier (i.e. 254 samples at 96kHz).

The track start and end times are also parked pretty badly, with some starting with the fade or final notes of the previous song. It's important to put these clips on their correct songs before shifting any of the channels later or later, lest one create a stutter on the song when it goes from one song to another.

Below are all the edits I made (some to make sure tracks don't start with silence), but underlined edits are the ones one ought to make ensure none of the aforementioned stutters occur when you shift channels. Bolded tracks are ones with channel sync issues.

Main album (at 96kHz):
  1. Welcome to the Jungle: Delete 3.3 seconds at start of track 01, take 2.2 sec from start of track 02 and append it to end of track
  2. It's So Easy: Take 2.7 sec from start of 03
  3. Nighttrain: Take 3.3 sec from start of 04
  4. Out ta Get Me: Take 2.9 sec from start of 05, shift back channels earlier by 253 samples (i.e. 0.006 seconds earlier)
  5. Mr. Brownstone: Take 2.2 sec from start of 06
  6. Paradise City: Take 4.3 sec from start of 07
  7. My Michelle: Take 2.2 sec from start of 08, move front right earlier by 1069 samples (i.e. 0.011 seconds earlier)
  8. Think About You: Take 2.1 sec from start of 09, move front L+R later by 254 samples (i.e. 0.006 seconds later)
  9. Sweet Child o' Mine: Take 2 sec from start of 10
  10. You're Crazy: Take 2.1 sec from start of 11
  11. Anything Goes: Take 2.1 sec from start of 12
  12. Rocket Queen: (Nothing but previous edit)

Bonus tracks (at 96kHz):
  1. Shadow of Your Love: Delete 3.2 sec at start of 01, take 2 sec from start of 02, move LFE 965 samples earlier
  2. Patience: Take 2.1 sec from start of 03, move front L+R later by 254 samples (i.e. 0.006 seconds later)
  3. Used to Love Her: Take 2.2 sec from start of 04, move LFE 1064 samples earlier (i.e. 0.011 seconds earlier)
  4. You're Crazy: Take 1.9 sec from start of 05, move LFE earlier by 957 samples (i.e. 0.01 seconds earlie)
  5. Move to the City (1988 Acoustic Version): (Nothing but previous edit)

I would like to know how these kind of errors get past quality control and are released? The current "professional" mixing engineers dont have the 70s drug culture to fall on as an excuse. It seems to me there were far fewer mixing mistakes in the original quad era than in the current 2000 plus period. They should at least make a corrected download available to purchasers.
Rant over.

Last edited:
I would like to know how these kind of errors get past quality control and are released? The current "professional" mixing engineers dont have the 70s drug culture to fall on as an excuse. It seems to me there were far fewer mixing mistakes in the original quad era than in the current 2000 plus period. They should at least make a corrected download available to purchasers.
Rant over.
Not sure. Across my look at different surround mixes, I've noticed phase issues as well as elements or entire channels being in unmatching polarity across different channels in the mix. The LFE being out of sync with the rest of the mix is probably the most frequent issue I see.

Last edited:
Back