HiRez Poll Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

• Total voters
back to the extracting audio question, just looked at Steven Wilson Get All You Deserve to serve as an example
The CD is ~707 MB
The BlueRay Streams are:
1: DTS-HD MA, 96000 Hz, 5.1 ~6.68 GB
2: DTS 96/24, 96000 Hz, 5.1 ~5.28 GB
3: pcm_s24le, 96000 Hz, stereo ~2.32 GB

Easy 10 for me. The mix is superb, lot's of extras and videos mixed into surround as well. Love the visuals. Already converted it over to mlp and flac to listen to it as a dvd-audio in the car. Good stuff!

Listening in the car myself, it sounds fantastic so far, only got to listen to the first three tracks. Very dynamic.

The only minor complaint I have is that the mix is very dry compared to the 1987 mix, which is something Scheiner did with the Toto IV mix - lots of reverb stripped away for a more dry sound. It worked great with Toto, with GnR that snare down a hallway was a seriously big part of their sound.

I don't really care - I love the mix so far, and tossing the call-and-responses vocals in the pre-chorus for "Out Ta Get Me" in the rears made me smile like an idiot. Hell, the entirety of "It's So Easy" made me smile like an idiot. Damn fine job done on this record and I'm really happy that it wasn't some tossed-off double-stereo job.

Listening now to this. erm............not what I thought. Guitars are pretty dull.

welcome to QQ! :)
since you're new here, you might want to also check out the "Listening to now (in surround)" thread for things you're keenly listening to, its all good fun for those members who don't frequent the Polls much, which surprisingly is quite a few QQers who abstain from the Polls for various reasons (y)

So I voted 10 for this one. One of my fave albums ever. Awesome mix! Bonus tracks! Videos! What's not to like.

If I have one or two quibbles they would be... price.... and the 5.1 mix almost... almost... sounds too clean. It has grunge but the surround opens it up and cleans it up too. However, except for the price thing, a major home run.

So I voted 10 for this one. One of my fave albums ever. Awesome mix! Bonus tracks! Videos! What's not to like.

If I have one or two quibbles they would be... price.... and the 5.1 mix almost... almost... sounds too clean. It has grunge but the surround opens it up and cleans it up too. However, except for the price thing, a major home run.

I had a hard time figuring out why it sounded kind of "thin" the first time I played it...and then I realized that it was so much cleaner and the separation was evident and I could actually hear some of the words that I never did before and then on the second spin I could just relax and enjoy it...

Yeah, listened to the whole album. I hate to say it but I am sliiiightly underwhelmed only because of how dry it is - it reveals all the extra little things hidden by the layers of reverb on the original mix, extra hihat clicks, vocal punch-ins, stuff like that. I love the clarity and the immediacy - almost how this band was supposed to sound. Live and raw. I think it's going to be a toss-up between the original and 5.1 mixes - whereas the Tull stuff I have no need to revisit the stereo unless I'm listening on headphones or on the computer, this album will always live in two places for me.

I'd give it a high 8 or low 9.

I gave it a 9 overall. Not sure why, but the left rear didn't sound right until I cranked it a few dB's, then it was fine.
I also compared DTS-HD MA vs Dolby True HD and found the Dolby a little louder. Again, no problem, just making an observation.

NOW! Fn' A! I remember the summer of '87 my oldest Daughter turned 13 and we took the kids to a small waterpark with a jukebox. I loaded up on quarters and heard GNR many times! Great memories.
A few minutes ago I had Paradise City cranked and my lil dog was looking at me like, Dad, yer gonna blow out my ears! Hee hee my ears are ringing plenty loud too!

I find myself struggling to hear some of the rear channel elements in the car -- "Out Ta Get Me" is one such example, where "they won't touch me" and "you can't tell me" being a little veiled. Normally I don't have issues hearing stuff in the rears, but I am open to it being my rear speakers being a little bit high-end shy. I'm not sure though. Anyone find stuff a little inconsistent in the rear channels on this mix?

Wow, the entire box set is fucking awesome. I paid $143.00 and very satisfied except for a few things. The 5.1 is stellar, but immersive, not discrete, except for a few moments, Nighttrain and Rocket Queen being the best fidelity wise. I would expect in 2018 that the CD discs show there track names in the car video screen, in 2018 at 143 dollars seeing track 1, etc is unacceptable. The videos for onscreen watching where pretty good and Anything Goes, made me horny. The book, excellent with tid bits. I listened at 70+ dB in a full blown McIntosh system with B&W speakers. Your fucking crazy if you don’t buy this. I sweared 2 times, Axl swears 100 times so don’t be offended. I voted 10.

The 5.1 is stellar, but immersive, not discrete, except for a few moments

I don't mean any disrespect, but what is your definition of discrete? There are plenty of times throughout the album where both backing vocals and lead guitar are completely isolated in the rear channels. If that's not discrete, I don't know what is...

Wow, the entire box set is fucking awesome. I paid $143.00 and very satisfied except for a few things. The 5.1 is stellar, but immersive, not discrete, except for a few moments, Nighttrain and Rocket Queen being the best fidelity wise. I would expect in 2018 that the CD discs show there track names in the car video screen, in 2018 at 143 dollars seeing track 1, etc is unacceptable. The videos for onscreen watching where pretty good and Anything Goes, made me horny. The book, excellent with tid bits. I listened at 70+ dB in a full blown McIntosh system with B&W speakers. Your fucking crazy if you don’t buy this. I sweared 2 times, Axl swears 100 times so don’t be offended. I voted 10.

Marpow...you rock my man. I’ve missed your no nonsense analysis. I agree...woo hoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We rock lovers deserved that one:rocks...glad you liked it....it does need to be cranked up to get the full benefit(y)

I don't mean any disrespect, but what is your definition of discrete? There are plenty of moments where both backing vocals and lead guitar are completely isolated in the rear channels. If that's not discrete, I don't know what is...
Ok, hard to explain, but I’ll try. I’ve been doing this for awhile. First, try not to be so technical, we are only having fun here. Immersive means, a envelope of sound, guitars, drums, bass fill the room, vocals are front. Discrete means, you are now hearing, MOVEMENT, between instruments, vocals, guitars, etc, pan front/ back, left/right. This disc in 5.1 does not do that. It does have moments of discrete, and for critical listening with pen and paper I could be more accurate but I’m waiting for a pizza now. It’s not always about rear channels, I’m on your side man, I voted 10, remember. As a member of QQ I have voted as low as 5, trust me. I hope we can party together some day, I mean no disrespect. But I must say, no need to blast someone on there opinion, especially on the internet.

Ok, hard to explain, but I’ll try. I’ve been doing this for awhile. First, try not to be so technical, we are only having fun here. Immersive means, a envelope of sound, guitars, drums, bass fill the room, vocals are front. Discrete means, you are now hearing, MOVEMENT, between instruments, vocals, guitars, etc, pan front/ back, left/right. This disc in 5.1 does not do that. It does have moments of discrete, and for critical listening with pen and paper I could be more accurate but I’m waiting for a pizza now. It’s not always about rear channels, I’m on your side man, I voted 10, remember. As a member of QQ I have voted as low as 5, trust me. I hope we can party together some day, I mean no disrespect. But I must say, no need to blast someone on there opinion, especially on the internet.

It was not my intention to "blast" you, I did say I meant no disrespect. Was just curious what you meant by your comment. I agree this is an excellent release and I'm glad you're enjoying it as well.

Back