Guns 'N' Roses - Use Your Illusion 30th Anniversary coming out next year

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always thought Axel’s disregard for showing up on time for a live gig would have carried over to a general disregard of production values.
Exactly the opposite - he's a manic perfectionist. Agree the rest of the band doesn't care too much - at this point the band members are really just Axl, Slash (who is really just interested in making new music) and Duff (who seems to generally be a get-along guy). So yes, I'm sure this was Axl. I think the AFD reissue came in the era of good feelings following the reunion and that album was a real group effort anyway. I think Axl would gladly delete half the UYI stuff if he could, since it represents songs mainly from the other band members.

It's mostly forgotten, but Universal was going to reissue AFD in the first batch of HFPA (stereo only) Blu-Ray Audio discs. Axl got wind of it and killed the release. Only Welcome to the Jungle ever got out, with dynamic range much better than on the eventual box set - Album details - Dynamic Range DB

Anyhow, serious bummer. I would have ordered this on release day if a surround mix was included. Suspect I'll get it anyway, but I'll let the price drop.

He did but he's just confirmed to me that it won't be coming out. Band didn't like Atmos.
Wow, super sad decision... 😭 Weird considering 2 songs (with new mixes to the 5.1) from AfD are actually available in Atmos. I think @EricKalet briefly saw the new November Rain in Atmos on Apple Music before it disappeared?

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/welcome-to-the-jungle/1377826053?i=1377826728https://music.apple.com/gb/album/sweet-child-o-mine/1377826053?i=1377826892
They obviously didn't even listen to it properly... Why not pull the stereo version as well and just have it as mono?!

Wow, super sad decision... 😭 Weird considering 2 songs (with new mixes to the 5.1) from AfD are actually available in Atmos. I think @EricKalet briefly saw the new November Rain in Atmos on Apple Music before it disappeared?

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/welcome-to-the-jungle/1377826053?i=1377826728https://music.apple.com/gb/album/sweet-child-o-mine/1377826053?i=1377826892
They obviously didn't even listen to it properly... Why not pull the stereo version as well and just have it as mono?!

strange if Axl/The Band's so fussy that they allowed Scheiner's AFD 5.1, which lets face it isn't slavish to the original Stereo and has some shall we say, "imperfections"!

also, it seems strange the label or Producer of the project might not suggest SW and Axl talk or something or at least somebody at Universal gauge how amenable Axl & co were to a Surround remix prior to SW doing all that mixing.. its a big ol' album after all. 🤔

Even if the ATMOS mix is gimmicky or the band doesn't care for surround sound, there is a 1500000000% chance that the mix is better than the AFD surround mix. AFD basically sounds like the stems up front and some lead guitar and backing vocals which were added later thrown into the rears. That's the whole mix. And while it is still cool to hear a classic album that way, it's very unimaginative (and possibly limited by the source tracks).

Super means I don't have to explain to my wife again that I accidentally ordered a box for the surround :)

No surround saving pennies

it seems strange the label or Producer of the project might not suggest SW and Axl talk or something or at least somebody at Universal gauge how amenable Axl & co were to a Surround remix prior to SW doing all that mixing.. its a big ol' album after all. 🤔

Exactly. Insane to hear they weren't into surround *after* the whole freaking thing was mixed.

This news is crushing.

Leak it Steven :) (hah hah)

Huge slap to the face! I was really looking forward to this thing, UYI II was always an album I really wanted to hear in surround. I never used to but I actually quite enjoy My World and I think it’d be a cool surround experience, especially if SW mixed it. Maybe UMG will just end up releasing it in the box though… 🤞

I think @EricKalet briefly saw the new November Rain in Atmos on Apple Music before it disappeared?
I believe right at the Apple Music Spatial Music roll out, I saw a handful of tracks listed as Atmos but they quickly disappeared within, maybe 24 hours of the launch. In fact the two or three Styx Atmos tracks are removed.

Hmmm...disappointing. So strange GN'R did a 5.1 mix for AFD and yet are pulling it from the Illusions boxes. Also strange GN'R would pay SW to mix the album in surround and then...not use it.

I already have analog versions of Illusions so I'm not interested in a digitized and compressed version of Illusion (actually, the AFD remaster was well done). Chinese Democracy would really open up and shine in surround. But if they can't even get it together to release the other half of those sessions I doubt a surround version of Chinese is on the horizon.

Hmmm...disappointing. So strange GN'R did a 5.1 mix for AFD and yet are pulling it from the Illusions boxes. Also strange GN'R would pay SW to mix the album in surround and then...not use it.
Honestly, wasting tons of of studio time and money seems extremely on-brand for GnR.

Honestly, wasting tons of of studio time and money seems extremely on-brand for GnR.

So sadly true

A long way from where they started.

The first album was mixed in probably a week on a console with no automation.

I know because I worked there, Media Sound in NYC with Michael Barbiero who mixed it.

Along with Victor Deyglio (we called him Day Glo) the 'fucking engineer' as credited on the LP

That was for capturing the band boning chicks in the vocal booth to be used on the album ('Rocket Queen' etc).

Not exactly the kind of guys you bring home to meet Mom and Dad :)

I remember seeing all the multis for 'Appetite for Destruction' before the record was out thinking who are 'Guns 'N Roses'?

The first time I heard it I understood what the fuss was all about.

Last edited:
Man, this is downright painful... sigh
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-boxset-editions
1663681023190.png

The bonus disc is a Blu-ray Video of the complete Live In New York concert film, newly transferred from 35mm film prints to 4K UHD and presented in 1080p 24fps HD, in its entirety, along with audio mixed in Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround, and PCM 48kHz 24-bit stereo. The Blu-ray menu features the brand-new live music video “You Could Be Mine.” This is the first-time release of any complete audio and video concerts from the Use Your Illusion era GN’R.

Last edited:
Bummer but not a surprise as we already knew the multi-channel mix wasn't going to be included (still a baffling decision).
I may pick it up if the price gets slashed to under $100. I do like those two albums. Otherwise I am fine with the original CDs.

Back