Guns 'N' Roses - Use Your Illusion 30th Anniversary coming out next year

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ROFLMAO:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:oops:😑🤢🤮

GnR T.O.M.B.S..JPG

$259.98, I guess one could justify it by saying, "it is like buying two single album deluxe edition boxsets at $129.99 each."
That would only work if each box had a Blu-ray with a surround mix. Most of us aren't buying Revolver because of that, so what chance would a surroundless box set from GnR have?

That would only work if each box had a Blu-ray with a surround mix. Most of us aren't buying Revolver because of that, so what chance would a surroundless box set from GnR have?
Controversial take - I'd rather hear a SW mix of UYI than a Giles Martin mix of Revolver. Given the multitracks and mixer I think it would be more interesting. And at least I can stream Revolver in Atmos.

Controversial take - I'd rather hear a SW mix of UYI than a Giles Martin mix of Revolver. Given the multitracks and mixer I think it would be more interesting. And at least I can stream Revolver in Atmos.
I haven’t heard it but I heard the Appetite mix was pretty tame? Maybe the band didn’t like SW’s Atmos because it was too discrete because you know Steven would’ve used every channel to its fullest potential

I haven’t heard it but I heard the Appetite mix was pretty tame? Maybe the band didn’t like SW’s Atmos because it was too discrete because you know Steven would’ve used every channel to its fullest potential
Appetite is a pretty traditional rock record and production was fairly basic as I understand it. UYI is much more baroque, not always to its benefit, and it was very much a "no expense spared" project. So I suspect there's much more for the mixer to do.

I haven’t heard it but I heard the Appetite mix was pretty tame?
For the most part, it's the band upfront and overdubs (backing/doubled vocals, percussion, extra guitar leads, etc) in the rears. It works pretty well on some tracks - the guitar intro to "Sweet Child" comes entirely from the back - but there are long stretches with little activity from behind. My main gripe with it is the mastering, it's way too bright in comparison to the great-sounding original CD.

For the most part, it's the band upfront and overdubs (backing/doubled vocals, percussion, extra guitar leads, etc) in the rears. It works pretty well on some tracks - the guitar intro to "Sweet Child" comes entirely from the back - but there are long stretches with little activity from behind. My main gripe with it is the mastering, it's way too bright in comparison to the great-sounding original CD.
Yes, nothing wrong with the original CD pressing, mastered beautifully by Barry Diament!

I’ve heard the MFSL’s of UYI I and II and I think they sound a little better than the original CD pressings but not by much.

Yes, nothing wrong with the original CD pressing, mastered beautifully by Barry Diament!

I’ve heard the MFSL’s of UYI I and II and I think they sound a little better than the original CD pressings but not by much.
Agreed. Certainly not enough difference to justify the price that the MFSL UDCDs get on the resale market.

So he mixed one bonus track?? Concerns me that there’s no mention of Atmos mix, could be just a stereo mix 😬

View attachment 83752
Not a bonus track. This is the version of November Rain on this set. The true original isn’t included. I wonder what the backstory is about not using the original orchestration. This is the only studio track not labeled as a remaster, so it is unclear what other work SW did on the stereo mix (if any).

Unless I’m reading it wrong….
You have to buy the 7 disc box set AND the individual 2 disc editions of I & II to get ALL the live tracks??!!

Not a big fan of Appetite 5.1 but the Lies tracks on there, the ones that were mixed into surround by Frank Filipetti, are excellent. I’ve listened to those many more times than the main album mix. Shame he didn’t get to mix Patience.

What's wrong with "Patience" in 5.1? I think the guitars spread all around the room sound incredible, and being an acoustic song it doesn't suffer from the overly-bright cymbal issue the album tracks have.

What's wrong with "Patience" in 5.1? I think the guitars spread all around the room sound incredible, and being an acoustic song it doesn't suffer from the overly-bright cymbal issue the album tracks have.

Too much of the lead vocal in all channels, it's like ALL CH STEREO on an AVR. The instrument presentation is great, like much of the album, but the lead vocal seems too dispersed everywhere and loses focus. For me it sounds less like "surround" because of this.

When you listen to Used To Love Her, harmonies are in the surrounds while the main vocal is anchored to the front soundstage, you have to strain to hear any of it in the surrounds even after isolating them in a software program - I much prefer this style and is why Billy Joel's The Stranger is one of my go to demos for surround sound.

Back