Quad LP/Tape Poll Guthrie, Arlo: Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys"

• 10: Great sound, mix, music

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 Fairly mediocre everything

• 1: Why did they bother?

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reprise MS4 2142, from 1973.

Side 1:

1. Farrell O'Gara
2. Gypsy Davy
3. This Troubled Mind Of Mine
4. Week On The Rag
5. Miss The Mississippi & You
6. Lovesick Blues
7. Uncle Jeff

Side 2:

1. Gates Of Eden
2. Last Train
3. Cowboy Song
4. Sailor's Bonnett
5. Cooper's Lament
6. Ramblin' Round

ED :)

Outstanding quad mix, front vs rear channels is obviously different parts of the song, but here the rhythms play off each other so beautifully. Sound quality on the Q4 is rather hot, recording, mix are all a 10. A Folker doing country is not everyone's cup of tea, and there are no big hits here to speak of. Not Arlo's most memorable album but a really strong quad production beginning to end. I'd like to give it an 8.75, and just under a 9. But I want to save the 9s for stronger hit material, or a major classic album which this is not. But I do like the music and love the mix / production.

Last edited:
This and Maria Maldaur were two CD4s that I got towards the end of my period fighting that fight. I love both of these albums. Typical very stretched out discrete mix showing off, if you will, which was CD4's strength, since it sure wasn't the sound, at least in my struggles. But the material on this after I listened again after many years, well, I fell in love. I love every song on this album. Side one especially is filled with hooks and clever standards and originals. So great. I wish Arlo had done more like this...

Reactions: GOS
Back