HiRez Poll Hackett, Steve - SURRENDER OF SILENCE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steve Hackett - SURRENDER OF SILENCE

• 10: Terrific Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new release from Steve Hackett entitled "Surrender of Silence".
The album has been mixed in 5.1 surround by his longtime producer and collaborator Roger King.

(y) :) (n)

61J9Sv6QOgL._SL1200_.jpg

613jOybmc3L._SL1200_.jpg

71S4QWTfRXS._SL1500_.jpg

71NTsOwXuuS._SL1500_.jpg

I ordered the media book directly from Steve Hackett’s website, so it’s autographed, which is cool. The book is very nicely done, with Steve’s explanations of the songs, lyrics, glossy photos etc. Roger King, who is Hackett’s keyboard player, co-writer and co-producer, recorded and mixed the album, did the orchestrations as well as the surround mix. Extremely talented guy! I listened to the DTS Master HD mix, and I have to say he did a great job, it’s very immersive, with the rears being quite active. The music is stunning, a mix of world music, heavy guitar-based stuff and lots of orchestrated sections. Steve’s guitar playing is on fire! I gave it a very satisfying 9.

Steve's albums just keep getting better! There are genuine interesting left field musical bits here! His last 3 or so albums have been a return to the trippy weird bits that he's so good at coming up with. The adult contemporary AOR vocal sections that stain so many of his solo albums are happily fewer and far between. There are a couple sections here that make you hit the skip ahead button and one really awkward drum loop "world beat" sounding track (track 4). The rest is wonderful trippy Steve Hackett music!

His more recent mixes sound like they're trying to go for a more orchestral style mix and avoid the more rock n' roll tropes. The drums and guitar were made a little too polite on the last couple with that IMHO. They pulled it off better this time! The low end of the drums here is still very highly compressed but the louder sections are more on point than last time. Just to be very clear - compared to some of the shrill volume war crudeness released too often, this mix would get an 11/10 without a second thought. Zero mastering damage and well done. Not perfect though. The high mids are a little fatiguing by the end. More dynamics in the lows and low mids in the drums and not as 'slappy' and they might have nailed it.

This and the last couple albums are some of the more interesting new music I've heard in a long time! And these are really well done genuine 5.1 mixes. Maybe not a Steve Wilson level mix but again, most new releases these days don't even rise to a 1/10 rating for sound.

Back