HiRez Poll Hancock, Herbie - GERSHWIN'S WORLD [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Herbie Hancock - GERSHWIN'S WORLD

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Wow, nobody has voted on this one yet? This one completely blew me away! An utter masterpiece! This is the single best piece of music (let alone a surround release) that I have had the pleasure to listen to in a long, long time. Herbie has outdone himself with brilliant jazz interpretations of Gershwin's music. If you think "jazz" and "Gershwin" and start to cringe, stop right there! This music is exceptionally accessible. I listened to it from start to finish without even thinking about it, and when it was over, I wondered where the time went. Every aspect of this title is absolutely stunning. Definitely a must have. 10 points all the way! (y)

Cai,

I agree. The sonics on this one are superb, even when I played the redbook layer in my truck. Joni Mitchell does a great job on a couple of the tunes, and I too think it rates very high.

For those interested, this is, of course, Jazz, however it is very accessable for those who are not into jazz. A nice intro disc, as you non-jazz fans will probably recognize some of the tunes.

JonUrban said:
I played the redbook layer in my truck

Gershwin's World and truck? - that's an odd combination. This seems more like a Mercedes disc to me - but alas, I don't have one either.

This is the best sounding disc in my collection, great sonics and mix. Playing this disc makes me feel like I've jumped a few levels in so-called class and sophistication. This is probably the first thing I'll play the next time someone comes over and wants to hear mch. music.

I have two rules when it comes to Jazz - 1. I don't like it; and 2. Buy anything that Herbie Hancock puts out on SACD. On first listen I didn't much care for this disc, but it has grown on me. Now I play it so much that the Elton John discs are collecting dust on the shelf.

One of my favorite albums i bought in 2004, multichannel or otherwise. Wonderful arrray of composers (mostly Gershwin, plus WC Handy, Duke Ellington and more) performed by a great lineup of artists. Joni Mitchell's contributions have already been noted. Equally notable are Stevie Wonder's vocals and harmonica on Handy's St. Louis Blues, Chick Corea on a very cool stride piano duet and Wayne Shorter throughout. Rich and satisfying mch mix.

C'mon homies, we need at least ten votes to get this one on the chart. Who else has bought this disc? What do you think?

hmmm... just listening to this and here it pops up in the 'new posts.' Anybody itching for an excuse to buy something new should give this a try, you'll like it :D

Don't have it yet, but Guy R brought it over and it might be the one of the best surround discs ever. Musically as well. Joni sounded like she was in the room.

No rating till I buy it myself.

I agree with everything above. Great Job from Verve. It just is the most sonically soothing thing I have heard but i still have one tiny quibble.

It might be me or my sysyem but the vocal tracks sound 5-6db lower in the left surround than the right surround, giving the impression that Joni and Stevie are singing from the right of the room. The fronts sound even though. I can't believe they would have done this intentionally as it just doesn't quite fit with this otherwise well balanced, excellent mix and recording. 9.7

I've had this on the shelf still in plastic for a few years and finally listened to it today. I don't know what took me so long. It is easily a 10.

I'm loving this disc. I've had the CD for ages but only became aware of the SACD after sukothal posted last week. The surround mix is brilliant and wonderfully discrete (some might say too discrete since lead instruments are occasionally in rears). The music is extraordinary and sonics first rate. 10+

If ever there was an easy 10, this is it. As has been said previously in this thread, this may be the best sounding disc I own. Outstanding surround mix too, and the tunes and playing are top-notch. Find it. Buy it. Listen to it. You won’t be disappointed. (Unless you hate jazz, which is the only possible explanation for the 2 and 5 votes in the poll.)

If ever there was an easy 10, this is it. As has been said previously in this thread, this may be the best sounding disc I own. Outstanding surround mix too, and the tunes and playing are top-notch. Find it. Buy it. Listen to it. You won’t be disappointed. (Unless you hate jazz, which is the only possible explanation for the 2 and 5 votes in the poll.)

I put this one on this morning as well, must be a Connecticut thing! :)

This disc is exceptional on every level.

Performances: It's Herbie Hancock. Enough said. No, wait a minute, there is more to say. There is also a stellar cast of guest musicians: Chick Corea, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Wayne Shorter, Kathleen Battle and more.

The music: It's Gershwin. Again, enough said. Oh, and Herbie's (and his friend's) interpretations are stunning.

The mix: Wonderfully discrete. The musicians are spread around the room. You're in the center of the action. "Blueberry Rhyme" is a piano duet of Hancock and Corea, with one piano in front of you and the other behind. Awesome.

Fidelity: Amazing. You feel like you're there. It sounds great at both softer and louder volumes.

Still available at Amazon for less than $20. It's a no-brainer.

Back