HiRez Poll Hancock, Herbie - HEADHUNTERS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Herbie Hancock - HEADHUNTERS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Attachments

• headhunters.jpg
    headhunters.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 365
I really like this disc. I'd never listened to Jazz before and this fusion disc is a great introduction. It's quite funky and reminds me of theme songs from 70's tv shows. I believe that the mix is directly from the original quad and is very suitable for the music. Sound quality is very good. I gave it a 10 because for me it's a 'must have' - my collection would be sorely lacking if it were to go missing. I don't listen to it all that often. But when the mood is right, there is nothing else in my collection that will substitute.

Loved this one on Q8. And it sounds great on SACD. I think it is the same mix, if not sure is close. I am not a real big jazz fan, but i do have a few jazz titles i wouldn't want to be without, and this is one. I give it a 10. Also a great surround mix. :)

Don't play it as much as I should. Have to revisit it. Nice and warm sounding and a great use of all channels. Love the music. It never really gets dull like some fusion. 8

I'm also not a huge jazz fan but this fills a niche in my collection as well. Great late night listening and a good surround mix.

A landmark album and a landmark surround mix. This one is timeless and I never get tired of it. I gave it a 9, but perhaps it deserves a 10...

Cai Campbell said:
A landmark album and a landmark surround mix. This one is timeless and I never get tired of it. I gave it a 9, but perhaps it deserves a 10...
Ditto from me!!

An '8'....I'd rather have had the superior (if less commerical) SEXTANT in 5.1; but, this is a very worthy and active mix. Not sure how faithful it is to the Quad--haven't gotten around to an A/B comparison--but it is certainly enjoyable, and that's really what matters.

ED:)

All of Herbie's work from this time period are my favorites. This has great sound quality and has a great mix, much better than my SQ LP. All I need now are Thrust and Sextant redone as SACD and I'll be in funky, fussion heaven.

kumquad

Dredging up an old thread here... :D Love the music here, but what really surprised me was that this was a surround disc! I only bought it in high-res for the 2-channel portion, not paying attention to whether or not it was in multichannel. After I "surrounded" myself, I put the disc on one day and it sounded really strange. Then I turned on the rears and...the rest is history!

I don't have any quad version to compare it to, but I'd think it would be from a quad mix--the way Herbie's synth flies around the corners, it's very 70s. :D

You're right, Rood, it does have a more '70s Q mix than many remixes from that time. I'm assuming that's what it is, and possibly the 5.1 mix was done after listening to the original Quad first. It's good fun, though a bit too commercial in places for my taste, which is why I noted the great SEXTANT above, and regret it hasn't been 5.1'd.

ED :)

I bought this SACD nearly blindly after listening to a few sound samples on Amazon.com and instantly fell in love with it. Amazing mix, great music. 10/10 out of me. An essential own indeed. :D

Demolition Man said:
I bought this SACD nearly blindly after listening to a few sound samples on Amazon.com and instantly fell in love with it. Amazing mix, great music. 10/10 out of me. An essential own indeed. :D

It's a fine disc, but I still wish SEXTANT--which I find artistically superior--had gotten the same treatment. Alas!

ED:)

Now THIS is fun. I stumbled across this yesterday at a local Best Buy and I have grooving to it constantly all day today. While this is considered a classic album, I had no experience with it previously. The way the bass and synths bounce around the room and then slowly build to a crescendo in a clockwise fashion are top notch. While fusion is not normally my cup of tea, this one is a winner and I gave it a 9.

You're right, Rood, it does have a more '70s Q mix than many remixes from that time. I'm assuming that's what it is, and possibly the 5.1 mix was done after listening to the original Quad first. It's good fun, though a bit too commercial in places for my taste, which is why I noted the great SEXTANT above, and regret it hasn't been 5.1'd.

ED :)

That's exactly right. This SACD, like Ship Ahoy, Blow by Blow and 3+3 uses the '70s Quad Mix.

OK, what's the deal?! I bought the SACD of "Headhunters," and it's stereo only! Were there two versions of this SACD? :mad:

J. D.

OK, what's the deal?! I bought the SACD of "Headhunters," and it's stereo only! Were there two versions of this SACD? :mad:

J. D.

Maybe that's why it was only $10 at Laser's Edge - fortunately my order was cancelled as it was sold out - I thought for sure that it would be multi - lucky I guess.

J. D.

Yes, there were two versions.

The one with MC apparently uses the quad mix.

I had to buy mine via e-bay from a vendor in the UK (haven't even listened to the MC layer yet :slap:)

I just added a scan of a sealed copy of the MultiChannel Headhunters to post #1. Was the stereo only in the gray cardboard sleeve? If so, that's an easy way to tell the difference.

PS - The Q8 of this title just sold on eBay for over $100!!! :eek:

Back