HiRez Poll Hancock, Herbie - SEXTANT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Herbie Hancock - SEXTANT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Sorry for the above, rather empty post. Meant to say that I envy those who can partake of the SQ encoded source. Let us know your impressions and how the two compare.

I do agree with Marpow - I would love to have Billy Hart’s drum work elevated in the mix, but that in no way detracts from my 10 vote!

A definite 10. Jazz is what I listen to mainly and there is very few options in multichannel if you're not a fan of 70ies easy listening. This one knocks it out of the park!!! I need more releases like this one, Bitches Brew or Donald Byrd. I have not heard it in quad before this SACD arrived, the LP is not too easy to find. This SACD sounds brilliant, I have only played the discrete mix so far, will need to check out the SQ encoded version as well.

Have you heard the quad Birds of Fire and Billy Cobham - Spectrum?

All reels listed in the RR list are very early quads, Sextant (1973) is out of this time frame. Still wondering where this come from... looking at a spectral analisys, the 4.0 discrete mix stops at the 16K-17K range, so it looks like a duplication master for quad 8 track carts. These values are consistent of other USA Columbia tapes of 1973-1974 era.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-CQ4mr.html
I would expect a "slave" copy (master) used to dub Q8 tapes would sound quite a bit better than a Q8 does. In other words it would have far better values than the Q8 would, being a professionally copied reel, and not a fast dub like Q8s were done. What other USA Columbia 73-74 tapes are you referring to? The Q8 carts?

Apologies if I ask some dumb questions here but, how different should the SQ tracks sound from the stereo if being played non decoded?
Some sounds (synths?) on the first track that were firmly in the far left channel in stereo were in the right side , slightly towards centre, on the SQ.

Ethan Iverson--pianist (ex-The Bad Plus, Mark Morris Dance Company), blogger, writer, and music nerd extraordinaire--touting Bob Gluck's 2012 book You’ll Know When You Get There: Herbie Hancock and the Mwandishi Band, and dropping his own thoughts on Mwandishi, Crossings, and Sextant.

https://ethaniverson.com/2021/03/14/mwandishi-time/
Ethan Iverson again, this time guiding us on a career-wide tour of Hancock--with the Mwandishi band his point of departure--and doing what Iverson does best: illuminating Herbie's accomplishments with the aid of musical-theory concepts that only insiders would normally understand, but in a way that laypeople can grasp. "Any quick attempt to describe or catalog Herbie Hancock will leave things out. The very sound of American music is unthinkable without his contribution."

https://chambermusicamerica.org/articles/the-complete-herbie/

Back