HiRez Poll Hancock, Herbie - SEXTANT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Herbie Hancock - SEXTANT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 reissue on Multichannel SACD from Dutton Vocalion of Herbie Hancock's classic album "Sextant".
This Multichannel SACD contains the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix, available commercially for the first time in over 40 years!

N.B. In addition to both the original stereo and discrete quadraphonic mixes, the SACD and PCM layers on this disc include the original SQ-encoded quadraphonic mix [tracks 4-6]. The original discrete quadraphonic master no longer exists. Therefore, the best available discrete quadraphonic sources have been used for this reissue.

Remastered from analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

91TF5dJTt5L._SL1429_.jpg

Just now listening to it -- in a thunderstorm, seems the right atmosphere!

I'm going to have some music critics clutching their pearls and suggest this is a MUCH better album than HEADHUNTERS. There, I said it. Just for the surround alone; fantastic. And the music is _out there_ which is always a plus in my book. I detect usage of mellotrons and -- my personal fave -- an Echoplex treatment here and there. Wonderful.

I gave it a 9. Too many 10s these days (just as well in a drought, what not?). The Dolby Atmos conversion on my AVR is very, very, cool, but only present in some numbers, not others.

Still. Love the music!

N.B. In addition to both the original stereo and discrete quadraphonic mixes, the SACD and PCM layers on this disc include the original SQ-encoded quadraphonic mix [tracks 4-6]. The original discrete quadraphonic master no longer exists. Therefore, the best available discrete quadraphonic sources have been used for this reissue.

Can someone explain this to me? If it contains “both the original stereo and discreet quadrophonic mixes”, then how can the “original discreet quadrophonic master no longer exist”?

Where did this mix I’m listening to on track 1 come from? An 8-track tape? Quad reel? It says “best sources”, so I guess from more than source?

I just put the disc on. Track 1 sounds great to me. I guess I will need to compare it to the SQ-encoded mix on Track 4.

Review and rating to come later.

Can someone explain this to me? If it contains “both the original stereo and discreet quadrophonic mixes”, then how can the “original discreet quadrophonic master no longer exist”?

The multichannel layer is most certainly the discrete quad mix - I compared it to an old Q8 conversion and the mix is identical. As for the source, steelydave mentioned in another thread that it’s some kind of high quality tape dub - I suspect it’s a 2nd generation safety copy of the 15 IPS quad master, as CBS did not release 7.5 IPS quad reels and the sound quality is far superior to the Q8 dub I had. I can assure you that it’s better than any prior source for the quad mix that I’ve heard.

I just put the disc on. Track 1 sounds great to me. I guess I will need to compare it to the SQ-encoded mix on Track 4.

I hope you have a good SQ decoder, or you’ll be extremely disappointed :ROFLMAO:

The multichannel layer is most certainly the discrete quad mix - I compared it to an old Q8 conversion and the mix is identical. As for the source, steelydave mentioned in another thread that it’s some kind of high quality tape dub - I suspect it’s a 2nd generation safety copy of the 15 IPS quad master, as CBS did not release 7.5 IPS quad reels and the sound quality is far superior to the Q8 dub I had. I can assure you that it’s better than any prior source for the quad mix that I’ve heard.

I hope you have a good SQ decoder, or you’ll be extremely disappointed :ROFLMAO:

Oh is that how it works? Yes. I guess I won’t be hearing that then!

Cool that he included that though. Nice bonus for the fans with decoders!

Oh yeah!! Oh Yeah!!!
This is definitely a dub or a "Robin Reel" (although I don't remember this title being on that list, but then , I could be wrong!)
...so THAT is why the Wizard does not state the provenance of the, ehem , "Discrete" source..
This is manna from the heavens!!!!!!
What else was I going to give this but
a "10"???
a dream come true..
this was one of the first conversions from SQ LP I did, and MAN, was I declicking this thing til kingdom come!!!
SOOOO HAPPY this is on SACD!!
CHEERS, MR. M. D.!!!
:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

This is definitely a dub or a "Robin Reel" (although I don't remember this title being on that list, but then , I could be wrong!)

All reels listed in the RR list are very early quads, Sextant (1973) is out of this time frame. Still wondering where this come from... looking at a spectral analisys, the 4.0 discrete mix stops at the 16K-17K range, so it looks like a duplication master for quad 8 track carts. These values are consistent of other USA Columbia tapes of 1973-1974 era.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-CQ4mr.html

Last edited:
BTW, let me get this straight.
Even if the discrete mix has its limitation, we're talking about a single disc that includes:
1) a stereo redbook version
2) a stereo hi-rez version
3) a SQ-encoded mix
4) a (limited) discrete quad mix.

Considering only the cost of 2 or 3 or 4 it is a bargain, more with all 4 included. I'm pretty sure everyone that has a analog quad copy of this paid lot more than this sacd.
Also, it can be a good test disc for SQ decoders to come, having a digital hirez SQ mix (no problem with LP wear, carts, phono stages, etc...) and the discrete version to compare.

All reels listed in the RR list are very early quads, Sextant (1973) is out of this time frame. Still wondering where this come from... looking at a spectral analisys, the 4.0 discrete mix stops at the 16K-17K range, so it looks like a duplication master for quad 8 track carts. These values are consistent of other USA Columbia tapes of 1973-1974 era.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-CQ4mr.html

well that's handy! last time i had my hearing measured it topped out at 16k :phones

I've only listened to the discrete Quad/5.1. I have never heard this album before. I loved both the music, which reminds me of experimental Miles Davis offerings, and the mix. Which is just great, sounds flying around, front to back & back to front echo. All just suits the music. The discrete Quad sound quality is excellent. A solid 9.

I voted 9. Fantastic release by Dutton Vocalion and Herbie Hancock of course. My only small disappointment was I wanted to hear the drum kit more. It was slightly buried in the front.
Outside of that there where some super cool things going on. I really liked the heavy bass line in phantom front center and the two rears, it is a triangular effect that I am not sure I have heard before in a surround configuration before.
There where some other phantom center lefts and rights that where amazing. A phantom center in a right side and a left side I believe you don't hear that often but when you do it is fantastic.
The 3rd track with it's constant roll on the high hat was very reminiscent of Bitches Brew, which bugs me a little as it is too constant.
I am being very nit picky, I am very glad I purchased this disc and will enjoy listening to it again.

Another 8 vote for me. I liked the first song quite a bit, i am a synth nut. The second song was decent, but the last and longest song i do nor care for very much. The quad mix is real good most of the time. Overall i prefer Headhunters quad.

So much going on.
This is a real ear and eye opener..in a good way.
To hold your nerve and go for an album that really stretches perceived musical boundaries, is be applauded.

I too have never heard this release before and therefore from my perspective, it really makes me sit up and listen to exactly what they have put together. Not that I don't do that anyway!!

They must have gotten their hands on every known electronic wizardry available in the studios.

The surround mix just takes you to a similar high that maybe, just maybe these dudes might have been on way back then.

For pure innovation and the superb mix it's a 10

Of course I'm biased, as I just want Young Mr Dutton to read these reviews and perhaps up the output?!!

:QQlove

BTW, let me get this straight.
Even if the discrete mix has its limitation, we're talking about a single disc that includes:
1) a stereo redbook version
2) a stereo hi-rez version
3) a SQ-encoded mix
4) a (limited) discrete quad mix.

Considering only the cost of 2 or 3 or 4 it is a bargain, more with all 4 included. I'm pretty sure everyone that has a analog quad copy of this paid lot more than this sacd.
Also, it can be a good test disc for SQ decoders to come, having a digital hirez SQ mix (no problem with LP wear, carts, phono stages, etc...) and the discrete version to compare.
Disk space permitting, I would like to see more of this to enable a comparison to be made between the matrixed version (as heard in the 70s) and the discrete version.

Man, this is an incredible aural experience! Fantastic mix, highly impressive fidelity, and outrageous trippin’ jams by some ridiculously good musicians. This experimental avant jazz may not be everybody’s cup of tea musically, but if you’re into surround (and who here isn’t?), this beautifully mastered quad disc belongs in your collection.

I’m going with a 10 on this one and can’t wait to spin it the next time I’m feeling like Frogmort in his new digs :smokin!!!

A definite 10. Jazz is what I listen to mainly and there is very few options in multichannel if you're not a fan of 70ies easy listening. This one knocks it out of the park!!! I need more releases like this one, Bitches Brew or Donald Byrd. I have not heard it in quad before this SACD arrived, the LP is not too easy to find. This SACD sounds brilliant, I have only played the discrete mix so far, will need to check out the SQ encoded version as well.

A definite 10. Jazz is what I listen to mainly and there is very few options in multichannel if you're not a fan of 70ies easy listening. This one knocks it out of the park!!! I need more releases like this one, Bitches Brew or Donald Byrd. I have not heard it in quad before this SACD arrived, the LP is not too easy to find. This SACD sounds brilliant, I have only played the discrete mix so far, will need to check out the SQ encoded version as well.

Back