HiRez Poll Hancock, Herbie - THRUST [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Herbie Hancock - THRUST

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Oh.. I thought Kevin Gray did the Stereo on Spectrum and Thrust and Gus Skinas mastered the MultiCh on them both? :eek:

That's what the credits say. But why is the stereo mix "mastered" while the quad simply "transferred"?

Do they not have the ability/concern to do remastering of the quad mixes over at AF?

That's what the credits say. But why is the stereo mix "mastered" while the quad simply "transferred"?

Do they not have the ability/concern to do remastering of the quad mixes over at AF?

sorry I don't know why the distinction was made back when AF was doing Surround SACDs, I imagine QQ member bmoura would be able to explain it :)

The Surround Sound tracks are transferred from the tapes provided by the record labels and mastered on the Audio Fidelity Surround SACDs.
If you compare the Surround tracks to earlier editions that will be immediately apparent! :)

The Surround Sound tracks are transferred from the tapes provided by the record labels and mastered on the Audio Fidelity Surround SACDs.
If you compare the Surround tracks to earlier editions that will be immediately apparent! :)

But the stereo could be described as transferred from the tapes provided by the record labels and mastered on the Audio Fidelity SACDs as well.

Not that any of it matters, as long as it all sounds great, of course. Just interesting to note that in one case they call it "mastered" and the other "transferred" when they most likely went through the same process. It makes it sound like the quads were just a flat transfer rather than anything new done to them. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.... ;) )

But the stereo could be described as transferred from the tapes provided by the record labels and mastered on the Audio Fidelity SACDs as well.

Not that any of it matters, as long as it all sounds great, of course. Just interesting to note that in one case they call it "mastered" and the other "transferred" when they most likely went through the same process. It makes it sound like the quads were just a flat transfer rather than anything new done to them. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.... ;) )

If you compare some of the earlier Surround releases to the Audio Fidelity Surround SACDs - examples would be Breezin' and Winelight, for example, clearly there was more than a flat transfer happening there.... :)

I voted 10. I am fortunate enough to have a very nice machine and this is a very good surround disc. I don't hear the bass, drums, fidelity issues that others talk about. I hear great drums and bass, the overall sonic's are wonderful and the music content is mellow but engaging. Many fun discrete moments in an obviously very well mixed 4.0 edition. The rhythm (drums and bass) section drives at the front and the keyboards use the rears, with solos, sax, etc, using a bit of all. The synth keyboards pulls everything together. It has to be only a 10.

I voted 10. I am fortunate enough to have a very nice machine and this is a very good surround disc. I don't hear the bass, drums, fidelity issues that others talk about. I hear great drums and bass, the overall sonic's are wonderful and the music content is mellow but engaging. Many fun discrete moments in an obviously very well mixed 4.0 edition. The rhythm (drums and bass) section drives at the front and the keyboards use the rears, with solos, sax, etc, using a bit of all. The synth keyboards pulls everything together. It has to be only a 10.

Totally agree. The sound quality on Thrust in SACD Surround Sound is excellent on my audio system.
And previously unavailable in Surround Sound since the '70s Quad era.

Recommended.

I just got this in the mail today (one of the few AF quad discs you can still order from Amazon). I agree it sounds awesome! Not hearing any fidelity-related issues. Quad mix is phenomenal and though I need to listen further before I vote, I'd say the content is definitely on par with Head Hunters.

A clear 10 for me. I love the music on this one, the mix is outstanding. No fidelity or EQ problems here - the bass is growling nicely throughout this album. This is my third Herbie multichannel SACD, after Headhunters and Sextant and it might be my favorite.

A generous 7 from me.
Surround mix is very good, but sounds a bit muffled to me, plus the material is not top notch compared to (say) biatchez or even his own Sextant.

Not a must-have IMO, a nice-to-have perhaps..

Back