Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague Blu-ray Atmos November 3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you not understand the logical flaw with this comparison?
1) It's two different performances
2) The eq'ing on the bass has nothing to do with 7.1.4 vs. 5.1

The flaw is that Nolan was hellbent on using 5.1 on the BD and not even considering that an Atmos version might sound a whole lot better.

Nolan would probably listen to the Hans Atmos version and not even give recognition that it indeed sounds better because Nolan believes that it can't sound better. That's a flaw.

In other words...

misdirection.jpg

haha

I just can't stop listening to this. This is my new favorite surround concert. The performance, sound quality, surround activity, and just amazingly deep defined bass are all just exemplary. To me, this is one of the best all around discs ever.

I just can't stop listening to this. This is my new favorite surround concert. The performance, sound quality, surround activity, and just amazingly deep defined bass are all just exemplary. To me, this is one of the best all around discs ever.

I'm not QUITE as excited as Frogmort about this effort, but is really is spectacular in terms of overall sound quality. The ATMOS mix shines. My quibbles come with me finding about half of Zimmer's music meh. But when he hits, like on Driving Miss Daisy or Inception, he really hits. Subjective music observations aside, this is a great overall package.

If you like dynamics, crazy deep bass, live concerts mixed in real surround, a mish-mash of classical, choral, jazz, rock, and industrial, you'll like this. The whole thing is astounding to me, but around half way through, around 'Rain Man', it just goes to another level. The 'Electro/Dark Knight/Interstellar/Inception' ending is just jaw-dropping.

Never considered myself that much of a fan of 'soundtrack' music until I heard this. Everyone should own this. One of the best sounding things of all time.

If you like dynamics, crazy deep bass, live concerts mixed in real surround, a mish-mash of classical, choral, jazz, rock, and industrial, you'll like this. The whole thing is astounding to me, but around half way through, around 'Rain Man', it just goes to another level. The 'Electro/Dark Knight/Interstellar/Inception' ending is just jaw-dropping.

Never considered myself that much of a fan of 'soundtrack' music until I heard this. Everyone should own this. One of the best sounding things of all time.
Many, like you, claim that this is a stellar sounding recording. I beg to differ! OK, there are tracks that sound very good and balanced, but I think that there are more tracks, especially the "busy" ones where the base is overpowering (=not clean base) and the details in the sound stage is completely missing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the disc but I would never consider it as a reference disc when it comes to sound quality. My personal reference disc for concert sound is Porcupine Tree's Arriving Somewhere... If that one gets a 10 from me, this one gets a 7 (for sound quality that is).

Many, like you, claim that this is a stellar sounding recording. I beg to differ! OK, there are tracks that sound very good and balanced, but I think that there are more tracks, especially the "busy" ones where the base is overpowering (=not clean base) and the details in the sound stage is completely missing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the disc but I would never consider it as a reference disc when it comes to sound quality. My personal reference disc for concert sound is Porcupine Tree's Arriving Somewhere... If that one gets a 10 from me, this one gets a 7 (for sound quality that is).

I think Arriving Somewhere is very good and has some decent punchy bass, but it doesn't have much super-deep bass at all. The Hans Zimmer blu-ray has usable bass output down to about 10Hz! :eek: Humans can generally hear down to around 20Hz or a bit below, but you can absolutely feel the frequencies below that. In the graph below, both the green line (dynamic peaks) and the red (average output) have been measured from the entire duration of the concert:
RVTABBZ.png

I spent almost a year researching/building/measuring my dual sealed 18" Ultimax subs and power them with a Behringer NU6000DSP amp that supposedly outputs 3000w per driver. Through using Room Eq Wizard software to measure them plus my Behringer's iNuke Remote Connect software to Eq them, I have flat in-room response down to about 7 or 8Hz (±3dB).

I'm sure that different people's setups effect how everything sounds, but on my system, Arriving Somewhere needs a bit of boost on the bottom end to really dig deep, but this Hans Zimmer has the best deep bass output of any music that I have heard. Yes, in parts the bass is astoundingly powerful, but it's used dynamically and tastefully when called for, not constantly beating you over the head with it and to me, that is a sign of a really great dynamic recording, plus obviously I'm a huge bass-head and love very deep, powerful bass, so there is that too! :LOL:

I would definitely give this a very solid 10 and would probably give Arriving Somewhere about a 8~9 overall on my setup, but I really love them both! (y)

Last edited:
I agree with Frogmort here. While I have only 1 Hsu ULS 15" sub in my setup, the bass in Zimmer live does not sound muddy to me. I can see how it could get muddy in some systems/environments. As Frogmort says, there is considerable sub 20 Hz content in there at times, though typically sparingly used. On the other hand, the "deep" bass in Arriving somewhere is of a much higher frequency range . I would reckon more in the range from 30 - 70 Hz. The bass is mostly from the bass guitar and drums, which don't go that far low.

10, Ten...10, Ten, 10...Have I given a clue as to what I'm giving this mind blowing, totally fantastic show.
I've just set up my 5.1.4 speakers and I thought I will treat them with this first. Er..mistake...now I have to find something to blow this away...any ideas folks?
And I thought this Dolby Atmos is just a marketing gimmick...WRONG!!
It is just jaw dropping....soz to go on...if you can, and I took some persuading, don't hesitate, imo, it's a totally new level of musical pleasure...
plug over!!

Last edited:
In terms of sheer exuberance one need look no further than Hans Zimmer in Prague. As one who has always been seduced by music from motion pictures from the startling inventions of Cole Porter, the Gershwins, Bernard Herrman, Max Steiner, the wonderful under esteemed Leonard Rosenman [East of Eden/Rebel without a Cause], Franz Waxman and countless others whose melodic structure and swooping, unforgettable, rapturous music graced so many memorable motion pictures, I personally do find modern movie composers somewhat lacking. They didn't call it the Golden Age of Hollywood for nothing.

But I was seduced by Zimmer's Prague Concert and would gladly watch it again.

Although, secretly, I do crave a return to form etched by those undeniably brilliant composers of Hollywood's yesteryear. Call me a romantic. Guilty as charged!

Last edited:
Also, is there only 1 version to get on bluray? I would want the Atmos, the link at start of thread takes me to the disc....only I don't think it mentions Atmos. How can I be sure?

I got the blu ray a couple of days ago, it defo is Atmos. Not a lot going on in those (atmos) channels though, mainly echo/reverb. I had to put my ear to the speakers to check!

The sound is still really good, quite loud for a concert. And the video is entertaining with Hans Zimmer's little stories...

I got the blu ray a couple of days ago, it defo is Atmos. Not a lot going on in those (atmos) channels though, mainly echo/reverb. I had to put my ear to the speakers to check!

The sound is still really good, quite loud for a concert. And the video is entertaining with Hans Zimmer's little stories...
Well damn......we sure do have some wildly varying comments on this disc.

I didn't notice anything too descrete up there on a 5.1.2 set up... But I had just listened to Kraftwerk so my hearing might have been a bit radioactive! :cool:

It does sound very good though...

Kraftwerk to Zimmer..........3D to 2D ..............???????????

Maybe it's time for a break, Mr. Smithers ....... ever consider FISHING?

You just might get hooked!

Kraftwerk to Zimmer..........3D to 2D ..............???????????

Maybe it's time for a break, Mr. Smithers ....... ever consider FISHING?

You just might get hooked!

I'm more likely to get hooked on a shopping trolly or a Welly. :giggle:

Wow haven't heard that version for a while, quite refreshing to the Blue Swede cover...

Back