Happy Birthday, Sir Paul

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
While we post elsewhere about the decline of Phil Collins or the challenges of Ozzy Osbourne, it's very warming to embrace that one of the talents of my generation is going strong: Sir Paul McCartney. Today is his 80th Birthday. WOW! And still going strong.

https://japantoday.com/category/entertainment/when-i-get-older-paul-mccartney-going-strong-at-80
So this might be a good day to celebrate with a re-listen of some his solo albums that are your favorites. Or maybe even Abbey Road while, you watch the live earth cam of, ya know, Abbey Road:

https://www.earthcam.com/world/england/london/abbeyroad/?cam=abbeyroad_uk

The Abbey Road Cam is very cool. Do the street lights flash on and off all the time?
Yes - they are pedestrian warning lights called Belisha beacons after the government minister who introduced them in the 1930's. They are very common at zebra crossings throughout the UK and are part of British culture.

The Abbey Road Cam is very cool. Do the street lights flash on and off all the time?
Will listen to some McCartney solo today.
Yes they're Belisha Beacons (named after the MP & Government Minister 1st Baron Hore-Belisha! brought in 1934-35) to warn drivers there is a Zebra Crossing (named due to stripes) so beware of pedestrians crossing.

Yes they're Belisha Beacons (named after the MP & Government Minister 1st Baron Hore-Belisha! brought in 1934-35) to warn drivers there is a Zebra Crossing (named due to stripes) so beware of pedestrians crossing.
They always make me think of them as some odd stage prop from a very old Dr. Who show. They are even more distinctive at night.

Hahaha,,, I had to google the significance of "zebra crossings" to find out that they mean the pedestrian has the right of way. We have the same thing here in the states without the special road markings. People staring at their phones just walk obliviously across the streets. Sure, we could hit them, but who wants all that paper work. :D

Last edited:
I was at Paul's MetLife stadium show last week, Thursday June 16th. I had seen Paul in 1976 with Wings and a few times I think it was 1990. The MetLife show was legendary IMHO. I took my 17yo son and told him he will be telling friends when he is my age about that night...but now I have to buy tix to Bruce's next tour for him to see!
And for all you Ozzie fans, my son is a dead ringer for young Ozzie (one of you have the pic as your avatar)...must have been because I saw Ozzie in concert over 50 years ago and his image was burned into my little head...

Just found out that although Paul McCartney is the oldest person to play on the Pyramid stage, Herbie Hancock is playing another stage and he is 82!

But I won't be there, way way too many people at Glasto!
I found an interesting article about the first Glastonbury performance:
I Went to the First Ever Glastonbury in 1970
And yes, Paul is mentioned at the end...

From Rolling Stone.com-
Paul McCartney continued the celebration of his recent 80th birthday onstage at the Glastonbury Festival in Somerset, U.K, Saturday night, bringing out both Bruce Springsteen and Foo FightersDave Grohl as guests over the course of a 38-song set. It was Grohl’s first public performance since the March 25 death of his band’s longtime drummer, Taylor Hawkins. After McCartney introduced him as “my friend, your hero,” a smiling Grohl walked on stage. “Hi Paul,” he said into his microphone. “How are you?”

Grohl and McCartney kicked into the Beatles “I Saw Her Standing There,” with Grohl taking over some of the lead vocals, followed by Wings’ “Band on the Run,” which Grohl has previously covered with the Foos. Immediately afterwards, Springsteen reprised his Metlife Stadium appearance with McCartney on June 16, again playing his own “Glory Days” (with McCartney on bass and backing vocals) and the Beatles’ “I Wanna Be Your Man.” On the final song, the Beatles’ “The End,” both Grohl and Springsteen came back onstage to take part in its guitar showdown.

“I swear, I would never miss being right here with you, right now,” Grohl said between songs, after explaining that he’d made to Glastonbury despite two canceled flights.

McCartney’s set also featured another guest of sorts, as have all the shows on his current tour: He sang “I’ve Got A Feeling” accompanied by isolated, audio and video of John Lennon from the Get Back footage, as restored by director Peter Jackson. When McCartney – the oldest solo act to ever headline Glastonbury – first took the stage, the massive crowd sang “Happy Birthday.”

Back