Happy Steely Dan Day

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
I feel like I've cluttered the Gaucho poll thread enough already (starting here), so I'm starting a new thread. I was never the dandy of any fraternity, and my beloved has known and loved both Aretha Franklin and Steely Dan for as many decades as I have. But like many other QQ'ers, I'm still growing old. And while I never need an excuse to sling Steely Dan into my Oppo's drawer, I'll always take one. Happy May 19, everyone!

1684510567929.png

I've been weighing if I should cancel my AP order of Aja. On one hand it's already paid for, the other, it's a short album (40 minutes X $150.00 = $3.75 a minute, wow! nevermind the $26.77 in tax and shipping to get it to me) and like you stated, the SACD sounds great so what is the benefit of the album? I listen to Aja maybe three times a year. I guess "Deacon Blues" will be by itself on side two. The rest, two songs on each side.

I've been weighing if I should cancel my AP order of Aja. On one hand it's already paid for, the other, it's a short album (40 minutes X $150.00 = $3.75 a minute, wow! nevermind the $26.77 in tax and shipping to get it to me) and like you stated, the SACD sounds great so what is the benefit of the album? I listen to Aja maybe three times a year. I guess "Deacon Blues" will be by itself on side two. The rest, two songs on each side.
Yikes!
I would never do that - I’m even questioning whether to buy it on SACD again.
I wonder how many times/ formats I have purchased this album over the years?! 🤔

I played my "compilation" Steely Dan cassette today I made back on July 5,1986 at Mountain Electronics in Rochester, MN, where I worked part time back then. CD's as sources in a Denon DCD-1500 player through a Carver C-1 preamp to a Teac V-800X deck, recorded on Denon HD7 tape.

It still sounds fabulous!

Doug

My truly favorite Steely Dan album, Royal Scam, is one of two SD albums that were never available in some type of quad/surround. 😭 (Aja, of course, being the big one.)
Love that one too - saw them play it in its entirety at The Beacon Theatre in NYC a few years back - great to hear some of the deep cuts live 👍🏼

My truly favorite Steely Dan album, Royal Scam, is one of two SD albums that were never available in some type of quad/surround. 😭 (Aja, of course, being the big one.)
yeaaaayyyy!! 🎸🍌😈

one of my all-time favourite records by any artist ever!!! ❤️🤯🥳

quite unlike Steely Dan, it was recorded quickly to fulfill a contractual obligation-type situation and everyone was on fire to take this baby home!! 🌈😍✈️💘💃🏽

Larry Carlton, Bernard Purdie, Chuck Rainey, et al., dear Lord in Heaven, they're all at the very top of their game! ✌️💝🥰

"masterpiece" gets bandied about a lot - but for me 'The Royal Scam' is such a thing. a musical masterpiece.

it's why i have approximately 84 copies (give or take 79) 😅

is there gas in the car!? yes there's gas in the caaaarrr....!!!! 👀😅🤣🤩

IMG_8645.jpeg

I mean if we each got a nickel for bands that has lesser (if still good) material in immersive formats but not their best... well we couldn't buy much but at least we could pay for a bit more of the server costs.

I put this on last night, just before midnight. So I made it. Great songs!

sdan.jpg

I have the other albums somewhere too, except for the one with the preying ( praying? ) mantis on the cover

I put this on last night, just before midnight. So I made it. Great songs!

View attachment 91708

I have the other albums somewhere too, except for the one with the preying ( praying? ) mantis on the cover
i think the wee insect critter is maybe called a katydid? 🤔

anyway the album's called "Katy Lied" and is another record i absolutely love! 💘

"Katy lied..
you could see it in her eyes..
" 👀😅🤐😋

IMG_8647.jpeg

Last edited:
Back