HARD TO FIND PART NEEDED

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie norman

WE ARE REARING AN AKAI AS-980 QUAD RECEIVER FROM THE EARLY 70'S. WE NEED A VOLUME CONTROL FOR IT. ANY ONE HAVE ONE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO WANTS TO ENJOY HIS QUAD RECEIVER WITH HIS QUAD REEL TO REEL..
THANKS,
JAMIE

WE ARE REARING AN AKAI AS-980 QUAD RECEIVER FROM THE EARLY 70'S. WE NEED A VOLUME CONTROL FOR IT. ANY ONE HAVE ONE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO WANTS TO ENJOY HIS QUAD RECEIVER WITH HIS QUAD REEL TO REEL..
THANKS,
JAMIE
Welcome to the QQ forum jamie norman. There are quite a few knowledgeable folks on this forum and I hope they can help you.

You may need to rebuild the original. They can be disassembled and new elements scavenged from new pots in the correct values and reuse the original casing and shaft.

There's other workarounds too. I had one with a poor connection where the rivet attaches one side of one of the resistive elements to an outside pin, conductive silver-print just around the rivet took care of it. Retensioning the wipers if the contacts are not worn out is possible. This is after trying a usual cleaning of course, maybe several cleanings over 24 hrs, with a trusted contact cleaner like Caig DN5.

The last time I thought I needed a replacement potentiometer (in a MacIntosh, different model), it turned out to be other problems making it seem like the channels weren't tracking together. Mac actually sold me a custom control which acted just the same after the giant hassle of replacing it.

Check eBay, people sometimes part out old equipment. Looks like with that pot the front and rear sections can be adjusted separately, to adjust front to rear balance, similar or identical pots are used in their reel to reels as well. You could use a regular pot and forgo the balance feature. If the pot is just noisy you might try Deoxit on it. The service manual can be found here Akai AS-980 - Manual - 4-Channel/Stereo Receiver - HiFi Engine

If the pot is noisy, try the various products made by Caig.

Thanks for all the input. We were able to repair the control itself. Unit working great
B3530D21-78B3-48A8-9CFA-2873C0695D54.jpeg

Back