Hardware to play 5.1 / 7.1 flacs gaplessly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickb

As per the above, my AV processor will play all sorts of formats, as I currently have an Atmos home-cinema config. It's a Lyngdorf MP-50. I want to start listening to multi-channel music, & have an old Oppo 95, and Pana UB820.

The Lyngdorf can only take a digital input (via HDMI), so external DAC is not an option.

The 2 players above will play multi-channel, but not as gapless.

Struggling to find options which I can ideally control from IoS app,as I don't really want to fire up the projector every time I want to listen to music :rolleyes:

Thanks folks!

My config:

Lyngdorf MP-50, Trinnov Amplitude 8M (x2), Oppo BDP-95, Pana UB820, Sky Q, Apple 4KTV, DIYSG HTM-12 (LCR), PSA S1812 (x2), SVS Prime Elevation (x4),MA Silver FX surrounds, Minidsp, JVC X7900, Othelloline Galileo dual format screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro

As per the above, my AV processor will play all sorts of formats, as I currently have an Atmos home-cinema config. It's a Lyngdorf MP-50. I want to start listening to multi-channel music, & have an old Oppo 95, and Pana UB820.

The Lyngdorf can only take a digital input (via HDMI), so external DAC is not an option.

Struggling to find options which I can ideally control from IoS app,as I don't really want to fire up the projector every time I want to listen to music :rolleyes:

Thanks folks!

My config:

Lyngdorf MP-50, Trinnov Amplitude 8M (x2), Oppo BDP-95, Pana UB820, Sky Q, Apple 4KTV, DIYSG HTM-12 (LCR), PSA S1812 (x2), SVS Prime Elevation (x4),MA Silver FX surrounds, Minidsp, JVC X7900, Othelloline Galileo dual format screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro
The QQ search tool is your friend. Might be some usable info here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/are-gapless-playable-5-1-flac-files-possible.26069/

Thanks folks!

My config:

as an experiment, install JRiver on a pc and connect via HDMI to the MP-50 and see how that goes or use the DLNA media player?

Hi - I don't have a PC with HDMI, but using DLNA won't do 5.1 or gapless to MP-50 internal player.

Thanks for the info - yes, seen that before but my BDP-95 won't do this. Maybe I need to upgrade to a 103/105 :)

Sorry, I was about to say JRiver will absolutely play gapless, stereo and MCH, assuming you have the gapless box checked in the DSP settings.
But than I read you don't have PC HDMI out to your AVR, so JRiver is a no go.
Many people within there home rigs have installed the Intel NUC, very small, fits nicely within your space. They are fan based, which in my case irritated me, so I went with a more expensive fanless PC.

Thanks - was hoping to avoid a PC-based solution, but seems there's little alternative.

Do you have Kodi running on the NUC, & will that do MCH gapless?

A few of us here use Kodi on NUCs. Multichannel FLAC is gapless.

I use LibreElec which is a Linux distribution with Kodi included. When the NUC starts it immediately shows the Kodi main screen so it ‘acts’ like a dedicated media player, not like a computer.

Kodi plays Atmos and DTS-HDMA files etc.

The OPPO BDP-10x players are able to support 5.1 and 7.1 flac audio file gaplessly, via SMB media file serving or directly connected HDD. But the UDP-20x players are only able to support 5.1 flac audio file gaplessly...

If I go down the Kodi route, just want to check that the MCH gapless would be available regardless of whether I have my source on USB attached, or shared drives on the network?

IIRC, my Marantz pre-pro plays gapless through its ethernet port. @Mr. Afternoon ’s free toad files benefit from gapless, and my Oppo won’t do that through ethernet nor USB.
I do most of my playback through PC, as I mix on PC too! I wasn't aware there would be problems with gapless playback as I just assumed all players supported it!

Although, that does bring up the question as to whether music should be designed around gapless playback or not. Since toad designed the album like that, I would assume he assumes that gapless playback support is a given on most devices too. Or maybe artistic intent? 🤔

Off topic:
The two most famous gapless albums are Dark Side Of The Moon and Abbey Road.
I know there are a host of others but can't think of any other FAMOUS gapless albums.
I know as soon as you say_____, I'll say, oh yeah!

ok, so are we saying that Firestick (or cube) running Kodi will be a good option here?

I do most of my playback through PC, as I mix on PC too! I wasn't aware there would be problems with gapless playback as I just assumed all players supported it!

Although, that does bring up the question as to whether music should be designed around gapless playback or not. Since toad designed the album like that, I would assume he assumes that gapless playback support is a given on most devices too. Or maybe artistic intent? 🤔
I saw Rick Wakeman perform JTTCOTY live at the Hollywood bowl, and the gap between side 1 and side 2 of the LP was blended. There was no blend on the CD release or his reissue with quite a bit more music. It’s clear the gap on the LP was due to the limitations of the medium, but the others seems like it was an artistic decision.

Not being an artist, I clearly can’t think like one, but I can’t help but try to figure out what’s going on.

The OPPO BDP-10x players are able to support 5.1 and 7.1 flac audio file gaplessly, via SMB media file serving or directly connected HDD. But the UDP-20x players are only able to support 5.1 flac audio file gaplessly...
My Oppo 203 does read FLAC 5.1 but does not read at all FLAC 7.1 (either gapless or not).

Sometimes I build FLAC 7.1, using the wonderful tool MMH from @HomerJAU, from 5.1 sources redirecting the surrounds to the surround backs to get a 5.1 or a quad 4.0 with the rear channels going to the rear speakers instead of the sides (in a 7.1 rig).

Then I have to use my old DUNE media player (PRO 4K) to play the FLAC 7.1 files.

Even if I am handy with windows 10 (due to my old job) I run away from the Windows/Kodi/hdmi ... wrong channels... etc in the past and focused on media players. They play immediately very good all the formats that are able to play.

Back