Hardware to play 5.1 / 7.1 flacs gaplessly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Oppo 203 does read FLAC 5.1 but does not read at all FLAC 7.1 (either gapless or not).
Yep... It was most odd that the OPPO BDP-10x players could do this but the newer UDP-20x players could not. It's the same with lossy AAC.

It was the main reason I went back to all my surround sound disc's and backed-up the native bit-streams instead (along with a .cue file)...

ok, so are we saying that Firestick (or cube) running Kodi will be a good option here?
Again, assuming you have HDMI input and the files you want to play are available on your network, then yes. You will have to sideload Kodi (google it). There is a Kodi version for Android which is the version you would want. The firestick will stream the network files wirelessly. You control Kodi with the standard firestick remote. You will need to learn to use Kodi (there are tutorials written by @HomerJAU here on QQ . Your music files need to be properly tagged for use with Kodi. It will provide a much better user experience than the rudimentary list type navigation menus provided by an Oppo or AVR.

I cant speak for the fire cube. I have also heard of users having problems with firestick max. Id go with just the standard firestick 4k.

I have successfully used this route for years on my bedroom system.

Yes, I have HDMI, & starting to become familiar with Kodi (installed it on my PC a few days back). Will the kodi remote app work with this, as I have it on my IoS & also on Amazon Fire tablet?

I don't want to have to use a screen / monitor when playing music.

Yes, I have HDMI, & starting to become familiar with Kodi (installed it on my PC a few days back). Will the kodi remote app work with this, as I have it on my IoS & also on Amazon Fire tablet?

Yes, I believe the remote app will work as long as it is all connected on the same network. You will probably need to connect a video screen to do all the setup steps on the firestick. Keep in mind the firestick will also give you free apps like Tubi, IMDB, etc that you may want to take advantage of as well. If you are an Amazon prime member, you can stream Amazon too.

If I go down the Kodi route, just want to check that the MCH gapless would be available regardless of whether I have my source on USB attached, or shared drives on the network?

I get gapless FLAC from my Synology NAS drives on my home network (and from external USB drives).

My Oppo 203 does read FLAC 5.1 but does not read at all FLAC 7.1 (either gapless or not).

Sometimes I build FLAC 7.1, using the wonderful tool MMH from @HomerJAU, from 5.1 sources redirecting the surrounds to the surround backs to get a 5.1 or a quad 4.0 with the rear channels going to the rear speakers instead of the sides (in a 7.1 rig).

Then I have to use my old DUNE media player (PRO 4K) to play the FLAC 7.1 files.

Even if I am handy with windows 10 (due to my old job) I run away from the Windows/Kodi/hdmi ... wrong channels... etc in the past and focused on media players. They play immediately very good all the formats that are able to play.
I have the same issue with playing 7.1 flacs with a 105D ethernet. AFAIK, it’s not a supported format. However, the 105D will play 7.1 wav’s via ethernet. I assume the 203 will as well.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with playing 7.1 flacs with a 105D ethernet. AFAIK, it’s not a supported format. However, the 105D will play 7.1 wav’s via ethernet. I assume the 203 will as well.
Thanks, Yes:

My Oppo UDP-203 plays correctly WAV 7.1 (And ignores FLAC 7.1)

FLAC 7.1 are played correctly by DUNE HD PRO 4K, but DUNE does not play well FLAC 4.0 (4 channels). It outputs only the fronts (not the rears), although HDMI AVR 'sees' the 4 channels.

Oppo 203 plays correctly the FLAC 4 channels 4.0 (And, of course, FLAC 5.0 and 5.1)

I gave up playing anything else than discs using my players. It was always painful, never gapless and navigation a mess (my experience).
Since I'm using KODi on a Raspberry PI4 (you almost don't get them since a year) in combination with yatse as remote control app on my tablet this is a lot of fun.
But I have to say that I invested a lot of time in maintaining the music database on my NAS server. Independent if it is 2.0, 4.x, 5.1, 7.1 or a simple mp3 file.
If there's something strange when playing FLAC files those are corrupt and have to be replaced.

You can enable the Kodi web interface to control playback from your phone. FWIW I'm also playing multichannel flacs gaplessly over HDMI with a Raspberry Pi 4 and LibreELEC/Kodi, so with the web interface that sounds like it would meet all your requirements.

The Raspberry Pi is also an excellent cost effective solution. It allows a wired network connection instead of strictly wireless, which might be preferable. It also has a USB connection. With a firestick 4k, the USB port is used to supply power. Although you can also get an adapter for the firestick to allow USB and a wired network connections.

I'd get what you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks again, I love this place :)

I've got Kodi on a 1st gen Firestick, & it covers most bases. I've decided to try a newer 4k version, & also the ethernet adapter (coincidentally as per your link above).
I've got a few mch stuff which only gets sent as PCM 2.0, I think they're DTS sourced. This may not also work on newer Firestick. I know PI or NUC may be most flexible solution, but wanted to try & keep it a simple as possible for now. Been reading up on the Vero 4k+ device, sounds like it can handle ALL audio formats, so maybe that could fit the bill.....
Never thought it would be so complicated, & I see why so many have an OPPO in their system :LOL:

Last edited:
Back