HiRez Poll Harrison, George - ALL THINGS MUST PASS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of George Harrison - ALL THINGS MUST PASS

• Total voters
I'm listening again, and I just do not find any of the bass offensive in any way. In fact, I would much prefer the bass be more pronounced...than anemic. I still totally dig how this sounds...considering home my CD sounds in comparison. Is my 10 a little high? Maybe......and I do admit to letting my emotions get in the way a bit. To have such title sound this great is a win win for me. Love it loud!
I prefer more bass myself usually but the bass on the All Things Must Pass - Atmos mix is dense: like the bass guitar is blended together with the drums instead of being able to hear the bass guitar individual parts from the drums. In fact, ATMP is the first surround mix I have ever lowered the bass in a surround mix. Minus 3 - 5 db so far and still playing with lowering / raising the subwoofer level.

like the bass guitar is blended together with the drums instead of being able to hear the bass guitar individual parts from the drums.
Ah, OK. I really haven't noticed that, but I wasn't looking for it either. Generally, what I focus on is vocals, lead guitar and drums. Yes, I do like the bass guitar, only it's not high on my priority list to listen to. Well, unless it's a known monster player....like Jaco. :)

I prefer more bass myself usually but the bass on the All Things Must Pass - Atmos mix is dense: like the bass guitar is blended together with the drums instead of being able to hear the bass guitar individual parts from the drums. In fact, ATMP is the first surround mix I have ever lowered the bass in a surround mix. Minus 3 - 5 db so far and still playing with lowering / raising the subwoofer level.
I’m listening to the Atmos mix folded down to 5.1, but that shouldn’t impact sub levels - I don’t hear anything wrong with the sub levels.

I see people here constantly mentioning fiddling with levels and I just don’t get it. The vast, vast majority of surround releases sound fine - level wise - to me.

I'm listening again, and I just do not find any of the bass offensive in any way. In fact, I would much prefer the bass be more pronounced...than anemic.
All true. And the anemic bass on those original Spector mixes is striking and terrible for that!

Try this though:

Turn the bass range down in the fronts 10db with a low shelf that goes up to 170Hz.
Now turn the whole thing up (monitor volume) so the bass is back where it was. You'll hear the awesome bass is still there and still awesome but NOW you'll hear the midrange components of all this 1970's era goodness that was intended to be there back in the mix. And the high end comes into perspective too. That 'flat' sound is the entire program down to 170Hz being 10db behind the bumpin' kick and bass. Oh, and turn down the center 2db. Now the 4 corners come back.

Even with flaws, just about anything could sound better than the original for this one! It's worth your time to not settle for this one as it is out of the box though.

Could this be an example of that phenomenon where you find yourself emphasizing the elements that were buried in the original maybe a little too much when you do a remix? This is a thing.
My guess is still that is went to the wrong mastering guy. I'd wager a guess that the first version he turned in also has the stereotypical harsh high end blast. Someone actually listened to it and complained and made him turn that off but the bass hype still got through. That's my ass talking there but that's going to be my guess. And we got really lucky for that! (No harsh high end boost I mean.)

Sleeper of an album for sure as mentioned. The sum of the parts and all that...
There are still moments and the man sounded good when he played. He really got done dirty by the original production.

All true. And the anemic bass on those original Spector mixes is striking and terrible for that!

Try this though:

Turn the bass range down in the fronts 10db with a low shelf that goes up to 170Hz.
Now turn the whole thing up (monitor volume) so the bass is back where it was. You'll hear the awesome bass is still there and still awesome but NOW you'll hear the midrange components of all this 1970's era goodness that was intended to be there back in the mix. And the high end comes into perspective too. That 'flat' sound is the entire program down to 170Hz being 10db behind the bumpin' kick and bass. Oh, and turn down the center 2db. Now the 4 corners come back.

Even with flaws, just about anything could sound better than the original for this one! It's worth your time to not settle for this one as it is out of the box though.

Could this be an example of that phenomenon where you find yourself emphasizing the elements that were buried in the original maybe a little too much when you do a remix? This is a thing.
My guess is still that is went to the wrong mastering guy. I'd wager a guess that the first version he turned in also has the stereotypical harsh high end blast. Someone actually listened to it and complained and made him turn that off but the bass hype still got through. That's my ass talking there but that's going to be my guess. And we got really lucky for that! (No harsh high end boost I mean.)

Sleeper of an album for sure as mentioned. The sum of the parts and all that...
There are still moments and the man sounded good when he played. He really got done dirty by the original production.

Nobody is doing all that. Real shame it is messed up.

If I knew how to do it, I might try. But does this pertain to all the mixes, or just one, or some?
The whole thing.

As far as alterations go, this one is on the simple side. But it's also computer DAW app thing and not just a tone knob on a receiver.

Yeah ya know, the accolades here are deserved. The errant mastering if you will is on the less damaging side of things and nothing next to some of the mayhem released in the wild. All the same, this stuff needs to be called out! It's 2021 and this is a posh HD release. Of a former Beatle!

I know that with my equipment I have to rip the 7.1 to wav instead of flac in order to get it to play. My receiver (or the Oppo, not sure which), does not like 7.1 Flac.
I never thought to try WAV! Though leaving it as TrueHD in an MKV will make the Atmos available if I ever upgrade.

The whole thing.

As far as alterations go, this one is on the simple side. But it's also computer DAW app thing and not just a tone knob on a receiver.

Yeah ya know, the accolades here are deserved. The errant mastering if you will is on the less damaging side of things and nothing next to some of the mayhem released in the wild. All the same, this stuff needs to be called out! It's 2021 and this is a posh HD release. Of a former Beatle!
Ah, I've inverted phase, compensated for delays, swapped channels, etc. in digital files, but I have no experience with a DAW.

Ah, I've inverted phase, compensated for delays, swapped channels, etc. in digital files, but I have no experience with a DAW.
Digital Audio Workstation
eg. Audacity, Reaper, Logic, etc

The software will look much like a mixing board and aims to be familiar when you've used a mixing board before. Instead of a dedicated built-in channel eq, you insert the eq plugin of your choice. The DAW apps will have their stock eq, compressor, etc plugins for the basics.

I have one of my 3 subs totally shut off to play this Blu-Ray.

PEQ. in leu of that, a tone control may help some
[/QUOTE
I have no equalizer, no tone controls - all I have is Anthem ARC Genesis room eq which has adjustments for subwoofer, center, etc. ARC Room eq has worked well with every other surround mix so it is only the GH ATMP Atmos mix I have felt a need to lower the bass. I usually wish the bass was mixed higher.

So what is the best way to address the mid bass issue?
You need to eq it. I suggested a -10db low shelf up to 170Hz for the front L/R pair.
If you work on audio at all, this is a pretty easy one. Do that ^^^.

No stock AV receiver tone control is going to touch this. A typical bass shelf control on a receiver is usually set to 100Hz. That would only make this worse.

If you use a media player on a computer it might have a more advanced eq option or the option to use plugins. Otherwise, ripping the files and then pulling them into a DAW is what you do. And of course to correct the Atmos version you would need the Atmos decoder codec to get a full rip. Then you'd either need to play back the corrected Atmos mix from a .wv (Wavpac) file or you'd need the Atmos encoder codec to mux to a new Atmos file. These codecs remain unreleased and are only available hidden in firmware in certain hardware AVRs and pro theater audio interfaces at present. Oh, and there's an Atmos plugin suite for Protools HD in their more recent proprietary plugin format. Note that if you are doing the workaround to use a media player but in "pass through" mode (letting the AVR decode it), altering the file is not an option.

Back