HiRez Poll Harrison, George - ALL THINGS MUST PASS [Blu-Ray Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of George Harrison - ALL THINGS MUST PASS

• Total voters

Breetle

Couldnt have said it any better.
I kept toggling back and forth between the Atmos and the DTS, the Atmos had more bass, for one/ and in fact I turned off the subs and the bass remained the same. They weren't needed. I am still on the fence for this remix- Paul Hicks cannot do wrong (unlike that son of a Martin) but I think the multitracks he was given to work with on this project were all so overburdened with multiple instruments everywhere, that I don't think he had a proper chance to "mix" the way that he usually would. I put in the "Gimme Some Truth" bluray and the difference was jaw-dropping!

MrSmithers

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Paul Hicks cannot do wrong (unlike that son of a Martin)
Paul Hicks did do wrong on Plastic Ono Band. Extremely disappointing Atmos mix. I take it he was instructed to do it that way, but the end result - from a surround point of view, is very disappointing. What’s annoying is that this George Harrison Atmos mix is fantastic so he knows how to do a good mix.

Giles Martin has produced an amazing and an “up there” Atmos mix on Abbey Road… Plus other excellent surround mixes…

Just the way I see it…

Last edited:

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I finally got my Atmos rig fired up. ATMP was the first Atmos recording that I listened to. Overall, this Atmos presentation is miles ahead of what we had before on redbook CD. It is a bit too rear-centric for my tastes, but the clarity and detail is excellent. They also did a nice job with Despectorization on most tracks. What Is Life still is too smeared and messy, but that's the only track I really have serious complaints about. I'm going with a 9.

markshan

QQ Supporter
One thing I noticed on all 3 of these discs in stereo that George's vocals lay pretty center, which suprised me, I did not have any expectation, but so many stereo recordings from that era, are ie; vocal left, guitar right, you know that kind. I was extremely pleased with the stereo imaging of the 3 extras discs.
Were the outs mixed in 1970 or were they just mixed from multis for this release?

ogrequad

After some back-and-forth, I finally took the plunge and bought ATMP. My debate had nothing to do with the content - instead, it was purely driven by the cost of the set, which is wildly overpriced. While I am not a fan of the big bloated box sets that include all sorts of unnecessary ephemera and redundant vinyl, I can at least understand a near $150 price tag when a box is packed with that stuff. In terms of ATMP, I actually like the physical size of this box and I'm OK with the booklet, but the price should have been half what they are charging. George would likely have been embarrassed by such price gouging.

Anyway, I've given the 5.1 mix a listen (no Atmos here, though I will check out the Atmos downmix next), and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fidelity is great, especially when turned up, and the surround mix is warm and enveloping. I would have liked a bit more playfulness and discrete elements, but there still was enough happening in the rears to make it interesting (other than the Apple Jam tracks). So, while this mix wasn't revelatory to me, I'm sure I will be returning to it as my go-to version.

Just started into the outtakes CDs and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I really like the fact that they didn't bog these discs down with multiple takes of the same songs, so I anticipate that these discs will get plenty of repeat plays.

I'm gonna give it an 8 overall.

bayards

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Not blown away with this...a lot of the usual front stage stuff, a bit of reverb in the rears and i didn't detect any overhead stuff. As to music - oh dear.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Paul Hicks did do wrong on Plastic Ono Band. Extremely disappointing Atmos mix. I take it he was instructed to do it that way, but the end result - from a surround point of view, is very disappointing. What’s annoying is that this George Harrison Atmos mix is fantastic so he knows how to do a good mix.

Giles Martin has produced an amazing and an “up there” Atmos mix on Abbey Road… Plus other excellent surround mixes…

Just the way I see it…
But Plastic Ono Band does not have enough recorded elements on it to do a very immersive surround mix, whereas All Things Must Pass is loaded with recorded elements and overdubs.

That’s the difference. Paul Hicks did the best he could do for both albums.

marcb

300 Club - QQ All-Star
But Plastic Ono Band does not have enough recorded elements on it to do a very immersive surround mix, whereas All Things Must Pass is loaded with recorded elements and overdubs.

That’s the difference. Paul Hicks did the best he could do for both albums.
Of course. And it’s still better than Moondance.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
I should perhaps start by saying I’ve never been one who loved this album. Is it one of the best Beatles solo albums? Yes. But, sadly, that’s a low bar for a band who had almost nothing but classic, nearly perfect albums as a group. (But that’s a topic for another thread.). Had I owned this album since its release, perhaps I’d have that same love for it others have, but I didn’t.

so—material wise? It’s an 8. 1/3 of the tracks I can do without. And I won’t even include the jam disc in this. (I’m only reviewing the surround here, and those tracks were only recorded to two-track in the first place).

Mix? The Spector mix has always been a muck. Clearly there was only so much that could be done with it. This is no “Abbey Road” for sure. But they do nicely with what they have. I don’t have an Atmos set up yet, but the Atmos mix played in 5.1 is far superior to the DTS 5.1, which sadly seems to be an afterthought.

Yes, the bass is too loud. But I’m not complaining much. It does make it rock more. The rears are nice and active with tons of discreet elements. It’s a nice enveloping mix. The key is to play it loud enough so that it opens up. Played at low volume and it’s just a muddy mess. At least on my system in my room.

I’m torn between an 8 and 9 on this one. It’s a nice mix, but this isn’t a “reference” or “demo” disc. Not even close.

Don’t know it it’s totally fair but I’m going with an “8” because of the price. It’s a nice set, but what is here that we haven’t gotten on the Jethro Tull or Tears for Fears sets for a fraction of the price?

Will these sets continue? I hope so. Will I pay over $100 for “Living in a Material World”? I don’t think so. I’ll settle for streaming or whatever else at that point.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
Oh—-I should also add—- I don’t know if it’s a defective disc I got, or my player just doesn’t like it or whatever (no one else has complained about this I don’t think) but the menu access is a mess. At first I thought it didn’t work at all. Then I noticed it was moving but the cursor wouldn’t move. And I have to press it random times to get it to go where I need to go. I guess I’ll try it on my other player and if it doesn’t work I’ll on that one I’ll try to return it. But still…. For the $$$?

~dave~~wave~

900 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Oh—-I should also add—- I don’t know if it’s a defective disc I got, or my player just doesn’t like it or whatever (no one else has complained about this I don’t think) but the menu access is a mess. At first I thought it didn’t work at all. Then I noticed it was moving but the cursor wouldn’t move. And I have to press it random times to get it to go where I need to go. I guess I’ll try it on my other player and if it doesn’t work I’ll on that one I’ll try to return it. But still…. For the $$$?
I believe you will find, as I and many others have observed, that your menu issue is due to the "highlighted" menu choices being nearly invisible.

The bright white background with dark green type dazzles my aging eyes. The "highlighted" selection is then actually "lowlighted" as black, so nearly imperceptible contrast with the other dark green choices.

The menu designer trying to be a little too clever, nothing wrong with your disc or player, most likely.

This is a crap photo, but can you tell that the next selected track is If Not For You?
It is slightly "bolder" and darker.

These video designers assume we are all watching on gigantic hi-res monitors like they are.

IMG_6752.jpeg

Last edited:

Strilo

Will these sets continue? I hope so. Will I pay over $100 for “Living in a Material World”? I don’t think so. I’ll settle for streaming or whatever else at that point.
I hope so as well. I don't think a set for Living In The Material World would have nearly as much content for a huge set, but I would pay for an Atmos mix of that album as well. I cannot help but wonder if Cloud Nine would be next, though...

Quadkid

QQ Supporter
I believe you will find, as I and many others have observed, that your menu issue is due to the "highlighted" menu choices being nearly invisible.

The bright white background with dark green type dazzles my aging eyes. The "highlighted" selection is then actually "lowlighted" as black, so nearly imperceptible contrast with the other dark green choices.

The menu designer trying to be a little to clever, nothing wrong with your disc or player, most likely.

This is a crap photo, but can you tell that the next selected track is If Not For You?
It is slightly "bolder" and darker.

These video designers assume we are all watching on gigantic hi-res monitors like they are.

View attachment 72663
I so agree! It’s maddening what they did! Turns a enjoyable album into a chore to listen to. Come on, you had one job!!!!