"Harry Potter" music soundtrack in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
It seems that there will be a multi disc collectors set of the soundtrack to "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in which one of the discs will be a music-only DVD with the soundtrack in 5.1. No indication is given as to what format they'll use. Also, no indication if the 5.1 soundtrack will be released separately.

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware...er-Soundtrack-Special-Fandango-Offer&src=FAND

($59.95 through this link vs. $68.45 at amazon.com)

J. D.

I found at a local music store the RBCD and it's an enhanced version that has a note on the reverse side saying: THIS CD INCLUDES A FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OF THE
SOUNDTRACK IN 5.1 SURROUND SOUND.

I'm wondering if this download is a DTS version....:confused:

I found at a local music store the RBCD and it's an enhanced version that has a note on the reverse side saying: THIS CD INCLUDES A FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OF THE
SOUNDTRACK IN 5.1 SURROUND SOUND.

I'm wondering if this download is a DTS version....:confused:

Be careful - a similar promotion was offered for the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack. I purchased it for the download which turned out to be a DPLll MP3 file encoded in "surround" - A BIG WASTE OF MY TIME AND MONEY

I purchased the box set, primarily for the 5.1. It's DD and has the same tracklist as the RBCD. Sounds nice, though it would have been better lossless. Poorly authored - transition from track-to-track is choppy - you can hear a hiccup, and it sometimes snips a bit of the start of the track. The track listing is spread over several screens, but does not advance when you get to the end of a page. If you click on 'next,' it takes you to the next screen, but stops the 'play all' function - i.e. you have to highlight and click each track individually to play it (and, again, it cuts off the beginnings of the tracks).

Extras are 'eh'. 12x24 poster, facsimile of a score page with a printed 'autograph,' two film cels (they and the score page are apparently identical in all boxes). Besides the 5.1. DVD, only things really of note are an EP with a few bonus tracks not on the standard RB release, and a 7" vinyl picture disk. Cheap packaging - discs are not secured.

Overall, a quickie cash-in to get a few extra $ from the fans. Unfortunately, they suckered in this fan of both 5.1 mixes and film scores. Wish they had just released the surround music disc w/o the tchotchkes (and decently authored).

BTW, the score itself is magnificent. I was disappointed when I heard that Williams had not been invited back to finish the series, but after hearing it, I think the producers made a grand choice.

Last edited:
I downloaded the surround tracks of Deathly Hallows Part 2. The files are CD quality (over 500MB download). The surround is Dolby Pro Logic (no DTS, No AC3). The sound quality is equal to the CD (which is very good) and the surround does add to the sonic picture. The score is symphonic so ambience surround is used mostly but it does add to the enjoyment.

1613065491965.png

Back