HiRez Poll Hart, Mickey - Best of, Over the Edge and Back [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Mickey Hart - BEST OF/OVER THE EDGE AND BACK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A release from Ryko. (n):phones(y)

Mickey Hart DVD-A.jpg

A "7".

The mix is fairly immersive, if not very creative, which I feel would have helped raise the short, rather samey content up a notch if the surround had been more adventurous.

The sound quality is rather nice for the most part but the lack of musical variety and particularly lack of excitement mean while I'm happy to have discovered this disc (it doesn't get much mention anywhere online, seemingly) I feel it's one I probably won't be playing too often.

I'm quite chuffed that I got this disc, despite its "just okay-ness", as it prompted me to trawl through the QQ Polls to vote, whereupon I couldn't find it!

So, Jon very kindly added a new Poll.. and lo and behold less than 24 hours later, we've already got three votes!

Makes me wonder how many other discs have slipped through the cracks, where there can be more new Polls created and more votes cast and feedback posted..?!

Thinking caps on, guys! (and QQ's Very Important Gal..!).. What other discs do you have that you can't find a QQ Poll for?? :D

I'm quite chuffed that I got this disc, despite its "just okay-ness", as it prompted me to trawl through the QQ Polls to vote, whereupon I couldn't find it!

So, Jon very kindly added a new Poll.. and lo and behold less than 24 hours later, we've already got three votes!

Makes me wonder how many other discs have slipped through the cracks, where there can be more new Polls created and more votes cast and feedback posted..?!

Thinking caps on, guys! (and QQ's Very Important Gal..!).. What other discs do you have that you can't find a QQ Poll for?? :D

Not the right place But I believe the following are missing in action:

Bass Communion 'Pacific Codex'
Fairport Convention 'Close to the Wind'
Richard Thompson 'The Old Kit Bag'

Three Djabe DVDA discs all available from the bands web site 'Update' 'Take on' and 'Shiefs are dancing'

Three Djabe discs all available from the bands web site 'Update' 'Take on' and 'Shiefs are dancing'

I have the "Fairport Convention" disc but don't recall it being up to much, I've certainly only played it once over the years. If Jon creates a Poll for it, I will definitely get it out again and have another listen to rate it on QQ.

Three Djabe DVDA discs all available from the bands web site 'Update' 'Take on' and 'Shiefs are dancing'

Isn't there a thread for this elsewhere? If not, it really should be! Personally I'd love to see polls for the following SACDs (and for the most part I do believe they're worth it):

Amanda Marshall - Everybody's Got a Story
Dolly Parton - Little Sparrow
Gotan Project - La Revancha del Tango
Groove Armada - all three
Herbert Grönemeyer - Mensch
Indochine - Le Birthday Album
Kinobe - Versebridgechorus?
Kodo - Mondo Head
Lakatos - As Time Goes By
Macy Gray - The Trouble with Being Myself
Matt Bianco - Matt's Mood
Mezzoforte - Forward Motion
ML - Leaving
OST - La Premier Cri
Paul Van Dyk - Reflections
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Prism - Prism
Scorpions - Moment of Glory
Shirley Horn - Here's to Life
Silje Nergaard - Nightwatch
Sita - Happy
Texas - Careful What You Wish For
Vivian Green - A Love Story

Isn't there a thread for this elsewhere? If not, it really should be! Personally I'd love to see polls for the following SACDs (and for the most part I do believe they're worth it):

Kodo - Mondo Head
ML - Leaving
OST - La Premier Cri
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Prism - Prism
Sita - Happy

Send Jon a PM if you want Hi-rez polls added.... or Bob Romano for the DVD poll...

If they aren't really obscure they'll add them (I think)... He's added all the one that I've requested over the years....

Kodo - Mondo Head
ML - Leaving
OST - La Premier Cri
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Prism - Prism
Sita - Happy

That list does include some real price shockers! :yikes

The Texas, Pete Tosh, GA Lovebox & Scorpions SACDs are among the craziest price-wise these days!
They deserve a QQ Poll just on that basis alone ;)

If there were a poll created for the Macy Gray SACD, I'd never vote in it as I'm never going to open my sealed copy!
It cost me next to nothing, I'm not a big fan of the album anyway (although I really liked her debut CD) and it's steadily going up in value now so I'll just keep it for the collection. Bit stupid maybe, I know but..

I really like this collection of Hart's percussive instrumentals. The only two vocal tracks are "Where Love Goes" and "Down the Road," the latter being the weakest cut on the disc (there are a few cuts that include chanting, but they are primarily instrumental.)

The mix is so seamless that it occasionally comes across as immersive rather than discrete, but it's really a very active mix with plenty of swirling pans, and numerous isolated vocals. Sonically, it's first-rate -- not reference quality, but a really fine showcase DVD-A.

I give it an 8 for music and a 9 for the surround mix and sound quality.

I have discovered the DVD-A just a few weeks ago. For me it's also ok...the mix is good...the music quite ok to hear. I compare it a little bit with the Pongo Sanchez SACD "Conga Blue".

i give an 8 for the mix and sound.

I have discovered the DVD-A just a few weeks ago. For me it's also ok...the mix is good...the music quite ok to hear. I compare it a little bit with the Pongo Sanchez SACD "Conga Blue".

i give an 8 for the mix and sound.

oh I much prefer Poncho's Conga Blue! the surround mix is fantastic on that one, this is just.. 'not bad'. (I've got the other 5.1 Poncho Sanchez SACD on the way, excited to see how it compares mix-wise, though music-wise I prefer Conga Blue).

oh I much prefer Poncho's Conga Blue! the surround mix is fantastic on that one, this is just.. 'not bad'. (I've got the other 5.1 Poncho Sanchez SACD on the way, excited to see how it compares mix-wise, though music-wise I prefer Conga Blue).

yeah I have both too, but still like Conga blue more than Out of sight

Its an 8 from me, liked the mix in most cases and most of it musically, it was a really interesting buy.

Anybody who thinks this isn't discrete is high.
And Down the Road is fucking awesome. Being grateful for Jerry's and other great people's legacies. Nothing wrong with that. Can't really fault this, other than the whole best of thing, so it's a 9.51 rounded up.

Back