Has anybody heard The Staple Singers - Be What You Are SQ decoded?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I didn't even know this existed until about 10 days ago. I decoded using the fabulous oxforddickie script in Audition 3.01 but the finished result sounds like there is a significant phase issue between front and rears. It can't be the script as other decodes have worked really well. Has anybody else heard this? Any thoughts?

I only have the Q8, and in some cases if the master tape is fouled up, phase errors will show up on the Q8 as well. I have the Q8 of this title and there are no phase issues at all. So, it's either the SQ encoding process or possibly something went awry with your decoding.

I will say that the mix is a little wonky in that it features my most hated of all mixing faux-pas, Drums in FL and BR. :mad:

Interesting - thanks for that. The vinyl packaging is really minimal on this one. No gatefold sleeve, just two blue stickers announcing that it's SQ (with the artist and album title) and no mention of quad on the label at all. It does have quad catalogue numbers on the label though, and stamped in the deadwax too. I might try reversing the phase on the rear speakers and see if that makes a difference.

I'm really disappointed in it. It was the last of a month long decoding project, and the vinyl at least is really bass shy and I'm not keen on the mix either, but I didn't have the album before, so it's nice to have that.

I have the SQ LP. It has phase issues played in SQ on my Sansui QRX 7500 Quad receiver. A friend has a Sony SQ receiver, it played back equally poorly on that unit. Both were set up with care.

The mid-70s were not a good time at Stax. With the closing of the Memphis HQ and transfer of ownership to Fantasy, folks weren't really doing the things they should have been doing... funny how that happens.

It looks like there were some pressing variations for the quad edition, so I wonder if something could have gone wrong with one/some of the cuts...

With apologies to anyone who owns a Sony Quad receiver, I've yet to have heard one with a Quality SQ decoder built in. Although we sold virtually everything Sony made back then, we never carried Sony Quad receivers. We sold Sony stereo receivers in abundance, and I owned one. So, I wouldn't base the Staples SQ's decoding ability on a Sony Quad receiver.

BTW: we sold Marantz, Pioneer (also poor SQ), Sansui and JVC Quad receivers. I currently own Marantz and Sansui Quads, but prefer to use my modern B&K and Denon systems with Sony full logic outboard SQ decoders. The Marantz has an SQA-2b, which works well. Even the older SQA-1 module which I retired when the SQA-2 came out, decoded SQ reasonably well.

I bought the Staples on a used SQ copy ten years ago. Perhaps I need to give it another spin. IMHO, Stax/Enterprise Quad LP packaging and engineering left a bit to be desired. I have a mint SQ Shaft :yikes (not bad for a girl, huh?) and the high hat is horribly astringent on EVERY Cartridge I've played it on, including AT, as well as Ortofon MC and MM.

I have the SQ LP. It has phase issues played in SQ on my Sansui QRX 7500 Quad receiver. A friend has a Sony SQ receiver, it played back equally poorly on that unit. Both were set up with care.

I picked up a stereo copy of this recently and, at the risk of being shunned by the QQ community, I prefer the stereo mix.

The Q8 is very dry. Why play the sq. Unless you run it thru the tate. And as i recall it did sound different.
PM me for a link to the q8 version as an iso. Uploading it now.

Back