Quad LP/Tape Poll Hathaway, Donny: Extension Of A Man [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Extension Of A Man"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Atco QD 7029, from 1973.

Side 1:

1. I Love The Lord; He Heard My Cry (Parts I & II)
2. Someday We'll All Be Free
3. Flying Easy
4. Valdez In The Country
5. I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know

Side 2:

1. Come Little Children
2. Love, Love, Love
3. The Slums
4. Magdalena
5. I Know It's You

ED :)

I gave this one a 6. I have a mint CD-4 that I bought when this was a new release. Donny was one of the most soulful singers EVER. Someday We'll All Be Free and Al Kooper's I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know are worth the price of admission. Some of the tracks are a bit draggy, but the mix is great. Roberta Flack/Donny Hathaway featuring Where Is the Love should have been released in CD-4. Sadly, Donny suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and fell to his death from a window of the Essex House on Central Park South in 1978. TV One has a documentary about him currently airing in its "Unsung" series. RIP

Had this on Q8, but could never get it to play reliably in my deck at the time. Bought it mostly for Valdez . . . as Cold Blood did a killer version of that tune and I wanted to hear how Donny did it.

220899768325.jpg

I have this on all three formats. I had gotten the Q8 at a flea market store in Ozark, AR for 25 cents, still sealed. Curiosity got the better of me, I broke the seal and played it. Had to eventually get the stereo CD of it for fear of wearing out the tape. Bought the CD-4 LP on eBay. Sounds good when it doesn't sandpaper. Got the Q4 reel also on eBay. It almost got thrown out because someone had spooled a bunch of old 8 track tape onto the reel. After I removed all this from the reel and got to the Q4 tape proper, it was all there and all good.
I gave it such a high rating, I guess, from favoritism, as this was the first 4-channel recording that I grew to appreciate what 4-channel did for the music, even with no panning effects or other electronic bling. 'Flying High', 'Valdez in the Country' and 'Magdalena' really showcase both how great 4-channel music is and what a really talented artist Donny Hathaway was. Best of all, when copies show up on eBay, they are price very cheap because not many people look for this album.

the Q4 has the most gorgeous fidelity, of the most gorgeous surround mix, of one of the most gorgeous albums - EVER.

I LOVE IT..!!

This could/should have been among the next batch of Rhino Quadio releases, it really shows off the format without being showy.. absolutely stunning.

A "9".

Although I would have bought a Quadio of this title, they would not have done it. It would have stiffed, as it did originally in Quad.

Hang on to the world as it spins around. Just don't let the spin get you down.

the Q4 has the most gorgeous fidelity, of the most gorgeous surround mix, of one of the most gorgeous albums - EVER.

I LOVE IT..!!

This could/should have been among the next batch of Rhino Quadio releases, it really shows off the format without being showy.. absolutely stunning.

A "9".

Although I would have bought a Quadio of this title, they would not have done it. It would have stiffed, as it did originally in Quad.

Hang on to the world as it spins around. Just don't let the spin get you down.

fair enough.. I guess they figured Aretha was a safe bet.. but no, that stiffed and I reckon did the series no favours!

If the Quadio's had included: more Chicago, The Eagles, Bread, The Doobies, America, plus some others like this Donny and the Bette Midler to mix things up a bit, it might just still be going to this day..

I found this Q8 at a thrift store, but someone had recorded over the tape, much to my chagrin.. Now, if I can ever find it in CD4, I will re- record it onto the 8 track!! This isnt the only Q8 Ive found that has been recorded over (I also have a hot Tuna Electric and a Purlie with the same problem)

I found this Q8 at a thrift store, but someone had recorded over the tape, much to my chagrin.. Now, if I can ever find it in CD4, I will re- record it onto the 8 track!! This isnt the only Q8 Ive found that has been recorded over (I also have a hot Tuna Electric and a Purlie with the same problem)

they recorded over it..!?!? sacrilege..!! :yikes

Rhino / Warners needs to simply put all of their quad masters out (in limited edition) in DVD-V format at least. Then for the hottest ones go and repress.

Or simply pick a double dozen titles including this one, and just put them all out on Rhino Handmade.

I think DVD-V would be the safest bet if they are not going BluRay.

Rhino / Warners needs to simply put all of their quad masters out (in limited edition) in DVD-V format at least. Then for the hottest ones go and repress.

Or simply pick a double dozen titles including this one, and just put them all out on Rhino Handmade.

I think DVD-V would be the safest bet if they are not going BluRay.

I tried proposing that to Rhino via an email and the reply ........ a nightmarish scenario of licensing from multiple factions. A potpourri of Hi Res 5.1 or even 4.0 discs to clean out their vaults was my proposal. NO DICE!

All of Rhino's Handmade series were of nightmare scenario licensing fractions. And limited sales potential as well.

What I wouldn't give to hear this in a modern, high-resolution format. Such a beautiful album, by such a beautiful man. For me, it's almost up there with What's Goin' On?--only its spirituality is more "mystical," in a way. (The opening track is reminiscent of what Alice Coltrane was doing around the same time.)

My ratings on these "legacy" formats depend so much on the sound quality of the source. I have this album in both a CD-4 decode and a QR transfer, and sadly, neither of the sources was in top shape. (Even the quad reel suffers from the sorts of high-frequency roll-off and speed fluctuations you normally expect from an 8-track. Also: not a lot of dynamic range.) So for that reason, sonics come in at around a "6." (@ForagingRhino: puh-leeze persuade the suits to revive the Quadio program. Release them all as 96/24 FLAC downloads to save on manufacturing and distribution! We'll buy!!!)

The Tom Dowd mix? Four-corner vocals, which I don't find all that exciting--although what's not to like about Donny Hathaway's vocals, however many corners they're in? Otherwise good separation & definition, and the orchestral arrangements are enveloping. Hathaway's organ & keys often foregrounded, guitar work (by Hugh Cornell Dupree, McCracken & others) nicely isolated. "8."

It's the content that gets an unequivocal 10 (with the possible exception of the rinky-tinky "Magdalena"). Deep, soulful material. Great, bluesy arrangements. And the players on this album! Besides who I've already mentioned: Joe Newman, David "Fathead" Newman, Hubie Laws, Stanley Clarke, Don Butterfield, Rick Marotta...these are top-drawer guys with serious jazz chops. (And don't miss Willie Weeks's funky bass on "The Slums.")

I guess that averages out to an "8." I'd go higher if I could find a better sounding conversion. This album is a lost treasure.

Last edited:
I gave this one a 6. I have a mint CD-4 that I bought when this was a new release. Donny was one of the most soulful singers EVER. Someday We'll All Be Free and Al Kooper's I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know are worth the price of admission. Some of the tracks are a bit draggy, but the mix is great. Roberta Flack/Donny Hathaway featuring Where Is the Love should have been released in CD-4. Sadly, Donny suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and fell to his death from a window of the Essex House on Central Park South in 1978. TV One has a documentary about him currently airing in its "Unsung" series. RIP
He died 1979 13th January.

Back