Having a problem with DVD-A created from Quad mlp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandrix

Senior Surround Collector
QQ Supporter
....for whatever reason, after I author a disc, only the front channels are playing from my Oppo. Foobar will play from the disc just fine. At first I thought the Oppo was going nuts on me....even the generated menu won't show...
Now, I also have discs I burned from Quad DVDA iso's that play just fine (authored by someone else).
I'm;
Using Surcode MLP to encode the 4 mono's for each song-
Using DiscWelder Chrome to author the .iso

Now, I've authored many DVDA's with DiscWelder and don't remember having this problem. But, it's been a long time since I authored a 4-channel iso, in recent years has been mostly 5.0/5.1 so maybe I'm missing some quirk in DiscWelder??
Guess next step will be to use the mono's and skip MLP and see what happens. IIRC, a quad album in pcm should fit a 4.7 DVD.

Ideas? Thanks.

OK, tried using just mono's for two songs only. Still only get front channels.
Sigh. Hope I haven't killed another Oppo. Out of desperation I might insert a silent C channel just to see if there's something the Oppo isn't picking up.

EDIT: Menu is working.

Long conversation with myself. lol. Is sort of early here I guess.

Anyway, I included a blank C channel along with the Quad channels into the Surcode MLP encoder, made an ISO with DiscWelder....The Oppo likes it.
So I reckon the Oppo is the problem.

AFAIK , you have to include ALL of the channels, that means a silent one for the Center and SW..
Thanks kap'n-I appreciate your feedback. But as I said above, including a "quiet" C channel did the deed for my oppo BDP-80.

As I go through this, I seem to have a glimmer of a memory of this happening before, but that could have been for
any of the "universal" players I have had, 2xSamsungs and 2 Oppos....although I don't think I ever made too many quad DVDA's anyway.

Thanks!

If you are using HDMI to your receiver then the problem is the decoding chip in the receiver that does not recognize 4.0. I had the same problem and solved it with the silent center channel

Last edited:
If you are using HDMI to your receiver then the problem is the deciding chip in the receiver that does not recognize 4.0. I had the same problem and solved it with the silent center channel
Cool. Thanks! You know, I recently changed receivers so maybe that's the case. I stayed with Onkyo but got a "newer" replacement because of unrelated problems.

All new receivers have this issue unfortunately as the decoding chip comes from one manufacturer

Best to use a 5.1 "container" with digital zero blank in the unused channels. There's always a rogue hardware or software media player out there waiting to cause problems if you give it anything that isn't 2.0 or 5.1. You also want to deliver mono as dual mono in a stereo format when that comes up. Digital zero channels and pairs of mono channels don't use any extra space with FLAC so there really isn't any con to it. Except for the limited space on a physical DVDA disc of course! This will limit the size you can burn.

Best to use a 5.1 "container" with digital zero blank in the unused channels. There's always a rogue hardware or software media player out there waiting to cause problems if you give it anything that isn't 2.0 or 5.1. You also want to deliver mono as dual mono in a stereo format when that comes up. Digital zero channels and pairs of mono channels don't use any extra space with FLAC so there really isn't any con to it. Except for the limited space on a physical DVDA disc of course! This will limit the size you can burn.
Easiest way I've found is to open one of the monos in Audition, select the whole wav and just turn the gain to -26db or whatever the lowest setting is, (EDIT 9-10-18......-96db actually) then just save as a renamed file.
But these are just for my personal use, for now.

Last edited:
In Reaper:
Make a time selection of the whole program.
Insert an empty item. (Conforms to time selection length.)
Render. (Makes a digital zero file.)

You kind of want to make sure it's digital zero.

Then use the time selection tool to note the individule track lengths in a quick text document. (Because you need to give MLP the whole program and then add index points.)

If I'm authoring a DVDA I have to make mono stems of the mix channels anyway (also using the old DiscWelder app) so it's a quick extra render. Load the same blank track into MLP for both the C and Lfe channels.

In Reaper:
Make a time selection of the whole program.
Insert an empty item. (Conforms to time selection length.)
Render. (Makes a digital zero file.)

You kind of want to make sure it's digital zero.

Then use the time selection tool to note the individule track lengths in a quick text document. (Because you need to give MLP the whole program and then add index points.)

If I'm authoring a DVDA I have to make mono stems of the mix channels anyway (also using the old DiscWelder app) so it's a quick extra render. Load the same blank track into MLP for both the C and Lfe channels.
Interesting. Thanks!

I just bought an OPPO 103, their only player which works with 4.0 on new receivers. I have spoken to Onkyo at great length about the 4.0 problem, and it seems to be pretty hopeless. Nobody's addressing it.

I just bought an OPPO 103, their only player which works with 4.0 on new receivers. I have spoken to Onkyo at great length about the 4.0 problem, and it seems to be pretty hopeless. Nobody's addressing it.
No one (speaking of industry of course) cares if Quad just goes away....hell, they never did anyway it seems. Shame, everything should be backwards compatible.
Not directly related only that formats get abandoned, but I was looking on the Minnetonka site yesterday, and there is no longer any listing I could find for the MLP encoder. DTS DVD, DTS CD, AC3, but no MLP.

I hate to debunk myself, but I just accidentally put a 4.0 DVD-A in the OPPO 203, and it actually played ALL FOUR CHANNELS!!! Integra had a firmware update a couple of weeks ago, and they must have fixed the chip & restored 4ch functionality. Of course, this means I didn't have to buy the 103, but that's life in the big city.

I hate to debunk myself, but I just accidentally put a 4.0 DVD-A in the OPPO 203, and it actually played ALL FOUR CHANNELS!!! Integra had a firmware update a couple of weeks ago, and they must have fixed the chip & restored 4ch functionality. Of course, this means I didn't have to buy the 103, but that's life in the big city.
You played it through the HDMI Input and got all four channels? Outstanding!
I have a Oppo 83 and a 203 and the Marantz SR-7011 will not play all four channels via HDMI, only the rear back two channels play in the front.
It is Ironic that a $80 samsung bluray player I have will play all 4 channels via HDMI as it sends it to the receiver as 5.0.
So I use the 83 for SACD-R 4.0 playback via analogue inputs and the 203 via HDMI for just about everything else

You played it through the HDMI Input and got all four channels? Outstanding!
I have a Oppo 83 and a 203 and the Marantz SR-7011 will not play all four channels via HDMI, only the rear back two channels play in the front.
It is Ironic that a $80 samsung bluray player I have will play all 4 channels via HDMI as it sends it to the receiver as 5.0.
So I use the 83 for SACD-R 4.0 playback via analogue inputs and the 203 via HDMI for just about everything else
Listening to Volunteers right now!

Sweet!
No problem with my old BDP-80 playing Quad, just my new Onkyo receiver. I don't like this receiver as much anyway, they made the display smaller and hard to read, and apparently castrated the output power. I would back up to my old one but it doesn't handle 4K as well.

Back