Having a problem with DVD-A created from Quad mlp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to post in to say I’m having the same problems with my Marantz UD5007 universal BluRay player and SR6011 receiver. Annoyingly I used to listen to a big collection of Quad DVD-Audio discs not that long ago...but I upgraded from a SR6008 too so I’m not sure if it was the change of receiver that has meant I have the same fold-down problem...
But just chiming in to the topic for now.
Maybe I’ll try the 6008 and some old Oppo players I have just for these Quad discs!

I just wanted to post in to say I’m having the same problems with my Marantz UD5007 universal BluRay player and SR6011 receiver. Annoyingly I used to listen to a big collection of Quad DVD-Audio discs not that long ago...but I upgraded from a SR6008 too so I’m not sure if it was the change of receiver that has meant I have the same fold-down problem...
Maybe I’ll try the 6008 and some old Oppo players I have just for these Quad discs!
Welcome to QQ!

OPPO 103 is the only player that will work properly in your situation.

This leaves me puzzled, as I had never played DSOTM quad with my Marantz 7011 and I can get no surround neither with my Oppo 93 nor with the Sony X800. Only way is using analogue output of the Oppo. Is it because PCM encoding of the quad in the Blu-ray? Is there any workaround to make it work without externally adding an empty center channel?

Your Marantz has analog inputs? If it also has HDMI and is easily switchable you might just want to use both inputs for the Oppo.
Don't know how else to get around it. If you have the software, it's not too big a deal adding dummy channels. If not then your analog outs might be your only way.
I frequently pick up old quad and add dummy C/Lfe and then reauthor the disc in DiscWelder for DVDA. Takes a little time but not hard really....or you might could get Cirlinca, I used to use it, or there is a freeware program called DVDA author or similar,but I haven't tried it in a long time. No bells and whistles to it.

This leaves me puzzled, as I had never played DSOTM quad with my Marantz 7011 and I can get no surround neither with my Oppo 93 nor with the Sony X800. Only way is using analogue output of the Oppo. Is it because PCM encoding of the quad in the Blu-ray? Is there any workaround to make it work without externally adding an empty center channel?
Newer receivers use a decoding chip that does not support 4.0. I have the same receiver and an oppo 83 and 203 and same issue. Analogue it is in that case along with my 4 channel transfers.

Your Marantz has analog inputs? If it also has HDMI and is easily switchable you might just want to use both inputs for the Oppo.
Don't know how else to get around it. If you have the software, it's not too big a deal adding dummy channels. If not then your analog outs might be your only way.
I frequently pick up old quad and add dummy C/Lfe and then reauthor the disc in DiscWelder for DVDA. Takes a little time but not hard really....or you might could get Cirlinca, I used to use it, or there is a freeware program called DVDA author or similar,but I haven't tried it in a long time. No bells and whistles to it.
Yes, I can go analogue for now. Solution is not future proof though, if my Oppo dies, my Sony only has got the HDMI output. I can play around with the files, but it's amazing "standard" recordings cannot be played anymore

Newer receivers use a decoding chip that does not support 4.0. I have the same receiver and an oppo 83 and 203 and same issue. Analogue it is in that case along with my 4 channel transfers.
I opened a ticket to Marantz for clarification in the morning, I still want to have some (minimal) hopes on a firmware update correction

Sell your 93 and buy a used 103.

The problem is not the player, it is the receiver. I heard that one receiver manufacturer issued a firmware update to address this issue but have not heard of any others
Which one? Haven't heard boo from Onkyo. Hmmm better check for firmware update, but not hopeful.
Hmmm got two waiting....says one is "open source". DL now....

Which one? Haven't heard boo from Onkyo. Hmmm better check for firmware update, but not hopeful.
Hmmm got two waiting....says one is "open source". DL now....
Larry Gellar reported that his Onkyo got a firmware update that solved the issue on page 1 of this thread.
I also found that my sons $80 samsung blueray player sends a 4.0 recording to the receiver as a 5.1 so the Marantz plays it fine. However that only helps with the Pink Floyd disks and does not help me with the home brew DVD-A's.
SACD's and the Chicago Quadio bluray have not been an issue and I suspect they have a silent sub and center channel.
I too have written Marantz today asking if they can fix this with a firmware update.

No mention of 4.0 playback in the firmware blurb for my Onkyo....but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet to see what it does. Tomorrow after I check out my 970 HD OPPO before getting back in touch with OPPO about repairs for it.....I depend on the BDP-80 for SACD-R playback and the 970 is my backup for that.....

I think I've played at least one of the quadio's through my newer receiver, so I suspect you're right.

OK so I pulled out an old quad dvda. It played via HDMI in both the BDP-80 & the BDP-103, so I'm assuming the Onkyo firmware update must have fixed the problem.
I'll take that as a victory and one less headache to worry with....I have a ton of quad conversions and wasn't looking forward to adding dummy channels to all of them.
Yeahhhh! Woot! :SB

Below is my correspondence with Marantz about the SR-7011 receiver only playing two of the four channels when playing 4.0 LPCM or 4.0 MLP on Bluray and DVD-Audio
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer By Web (Mark Anderson) (03/11/2019 06:44 PM)
If I play a 4.0 recording via HDMI from a blu-ray player to the SR-7011 the AVR shows a 4.0 recording on the display but audio only comes from the front left & right channels with nothing emitting from the rear left and right. I have read that most if not all new receivers have this issue as the decoding chip is made by one company. I heard that Onkyo provided a firmware update to address this issue. Will Marantz be issuing a firmware update that will address this issue?

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (03/12/2019 11:16 AM)
Hi Mark,
Are you referring to PCM 4.0? If so, the receiver doesn't decode PCM 4.0.
Also, make sure you're using the Surround Left / Right terminals and not the Surround Back Left / Right terminals.

Customer By Email (Mark Anderson) (03/12/2019 03:08 PM)
Yes, LPCM 4.0 blurays and MLP 4.0 DVD-Audio's have been the ones I have an issue with. Rear speakers are connected correctly

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (03/12/2019 03:46 PM)
Hi Mark,
In that case, the receiver will not support / decode LPCM 4.0. As an alternative, if your player has a full analog pre-out, you can then decode and process the 4.0 track in the player and send the discrete audio channels to the receiver's 7.1 Ch Input. At that point, the receiver will simply control the volume and power the signal.

Customer By Email (Mark Anderson) (03/13/2019 07:35 PM)
Yes, I have been using the multichannel analogue inputs but this eliminates being able to use the room correction and up mixing.
I assume this cannot be fixed by a firmware update? I have 100's of recordings that are 4.0 PCM/MLP and am not the only one having this issue.
Do you happen to know the manufacturer and model number of the chip that was used?

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (03/14/2019 08:46 AM)
Hi Mark,
No, 4.0 PCM/LPCM is not something we've ever decoded in our receivers or pre-amps, so I would think it's a hardware limitation and not just software.
Regarding chip sets used in the 7011, we use Asahi Kasei AK4458 DACs and the model for the DSP chips is ADSP21487KSWZ-4B, which is made by Analog Devices.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I will have to live with this receivers limitations until I can find a receiver that can handle 4K video that does not have this 4.0 processing issue.

Bummer.

I still don't know why Onkyo never mentions anything about "fixing" the 4.0 output for my receiver but I'm just glad they did. Apparently it was in the December firmware update for my unit which I had missed somehow.

Below is my correspondence with Marantz about the SR-7011 receiver only playing two of the four channels when playing 4.0 LPCM or 4.0 MLP on Bluray and DVD-Audio
Customer By Web (Mark Anderson) (03/11/2019 06:44 PM)
If I play a 4.0 recording via HDMI from a blu-ray player to the SR-7011 the AVR shows a 4.0 recording on the display but audio only comes from the front left & right channels with nothing emitting from the rear left and right. I have read that most if not all new receivers have this issue as the decoding chip is made by one company. I heard that Onkyo provided a firmware update to address this issue. Will Marantz be issuing a firmware update that will address this issue?

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (03/12/2019 11:16 AM)
Hi Mark,
Are you referring to PCM 4.0? If so, the receiver doesn't decode PCM 4.0.
Also, make sure you're using the Surround Left / Right terminals and not the Surround Back Left / Right terminals.

Customer By Email (Mark Anderson) (03/12/2019 03:08 PM)
Yes, LPCM 4.0 blurays and MLP 4.0 DVD-Audio's have been the ones I have an issue with. Rear speakers are connected correctly

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (03/12/2019 03:46 PM)
Hi Mark,
In that case, the receiver will not support / decode LPCM 4.0. As an alternative, if your player has a full analog pre-out, you can then decode and process the 4.0 track in the player and send the discrete audio channels to the receiver's 7.1 Ch Input. At that point, the receiver will simply control the volume and power the signal.

Customer By Email (Mark Anderson) (03/13/2019 07:35 PM)
Yes, I have been using the multichannel analogue inputs but this eliminates being able to use the room correction and up mixing.
I assume this cannot be fixed by a firmware update? I have 100's of recordings that are 4.0 PCM/MLP and am not the only one having this issue.
Do you happen to know the manufacturer and model number of the chip that was used?

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (03/14/2019 08:46 AM)
Hi Mark,
No, 4.0 PCM/LPCM is not something we've ever decoded in our receivers or pre-amps, so I would think it's a hardware limitation and not just software.
Regarding chip sets used in the 7011, we use Asahi Kasei AK4458 DACs and the model for the DSP chips is ADSP21487KSWZ-4B, which is made by Analog Devices.
So I will have to live with this receivers limitations until I can find a receiver that can handle 4K video that does not have this 4.0 processing issue.
They are bullshitting you. They just don't want to deal with such an obscure problem. Buy an Onkyo or Integra. They listened to my issues and fixed the problem, and deserve to be rewarded for it.

Back