Hawkwind - Space Ritual

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadzilla

Exiled QQ Veteran
Since 2002/2003
Call it a guilty pleasure, but I always liked Space Ritual. :smokin I had been looking off and on for quite a while for the CD, since my LP set seems to have walked off. I was pleased to find that it would be rereleased with a surround sound (albeit Dolby Digital) DVD, along with the CDs, and I ordered it immediately. :D

Their live shows were always quadraphonic, so I had great expectations. Since it is a PAL disk, it flickers when played back on a Canuck TV, and I can't see if there is a place to choose between sound options. Something "seems" to be coming out of the rear speakers, but it is very faint and hardly surround sound. :mad: Do any of you Brits have this disk, and what are your thoughts? :confused:

Cheers, Mike.

Always Quad live?
Er - no.
Maybe a couple of tours were at one point though, when Bob Calvert was still there.
I toured with Eagleburp (as we affectionately called them) from 83 to 86, and there were never any Quad live shows at all.

Don't have the disc though, so cannot comment.
Could be fake surround?
What do you see if you rip the disc & decode the AC3 streams to WAV?

What do you see if you rip the disc & decode the AC3 streams to WAV?

LOL ... HUH??? :eek: I use computers for spreadsheets, audio equipment for music. :D I have no idea what any of that is. :D The CD set does decode pretty well with my QSD-2 though. I tried that last night. Cheers, Mike.

This popped up on the other forum we use.
Recorded 50 years ago today.
Stereo, sounding good upmixed right now.

The opening countdown is supposedly the only recording of the legendary Stacia's voice.
Fans who were "Born To Go" should get a kick out of the first few minutes, at least.

This is London, Earth...
Sonic Assassins cleared for space flight...

The opening countdown is supposedly the only recording of the legendary Stacia's voice.
Fans who were "Born To Go" should get a kick out of the first few minutes, at least.

This is London, Earth...

Love it.....this is a Sonic Attack.

This is London, Earth...

Boy that brings back memories. I used to have that LIVE AT THE BBC version on cd . šŸ˜

This album is in my top 10 ever !
I remember bringing my battery operated cassette recorder to the school sports day and played the album as loud as it would go until the batteries ran out !
Hawkwind was way more important to me than school as a 16 yo in 1973 !
( even as an upmix im interested )
Me too, I can put it on no matter what and just get it............................and I also was 16 in '73
My first ever album was "In Search Of Space" which is in my top 10 as well. I didn't get to see Hawkwind though until January '75 on the Hall Of The Mountain Grill tour.

Me too, I can put it on no matter what and just get it............................and I also was 16 in '73
My first ever album was "In Search Of Space" which is in my top 10 as well. I didn't get to see Hawkwind though until January '75 on the Hall Of The Mountain Grill tour.
I too was 16 in ā€˜73 and loved Space Ritual upon release. Had never heard anything like it and the amazing gatefold was unsurpassed. Still a big fan of the Hawk as evidenced by my recent purchase of their career spanning 6 CD boxset, Dust Of Time.

@DuncanS, doesnā€™t Dave Brock live near you?

I too was 16 in ā€˜73 and loved Space Ritual upon release. Had never heard anything like it and the amazing gatefold was unsurpassed. Still a big fan of the Hawk as evidenced by my recent purchase of their career spanning 6 CD boxset, Dust Of Time.

@DuncanS, doesnā€™t Dave Brock live near you?
Yes, he lives less than 10 miles away (in Hank Marvin's old house I believe!), Ian Gillan is about 7 miles away, and Martin Barre used to have a recording studio & house nearby but now spends a lot of time in Canada, I think! ...... and I've never met any of them, though friends know them.

Yes, he lives less than 10 miles away (in Hank Marvin's old house I believe!), Ian Gillan is about 7 miles away, and Martin Barre used to have a recording studio & house nearby but now spends a lot of time in Canada, I think! ...... and I've never met any of them, though friends know them.
Wow, thatā€™s amazing to have such Rock royalty living nearby!

Back