HiRez Poll Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time (DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time

• Total voters
A hard one to rate, but I went with a 9, I really like the surround mix - 9, the music is an 8.

I get what you're saying...IMO, it's hard to rate because in reality, the surround gymnastics are certainly not over the top...but I don't think it could have been done any other way. If you had tried to dissect this music and make it more discreet - it would have ruined what the music really sounds like. I do love the way it sounds...

Will vote on this after I've opened it. Can't explain why I never have. I think it arrived during a really stressful time and and straight to the shelf, along with Moondance. I don't even have the slightest urge to unwrap them! Wth???

Voted 9. I agree that a couple of tracks sound less discrete than the others.
Still, this mix is vastly more enjoyable than in stereo. Though the album is cool in any right.
Even the echoplexed spoken bits are less annoying in surround.
:music

Voted 9. I agree that a couple of tracks sound less discrete than the others.
Still, this mix is vastly more enjoyable than in stereo. Though the album is cool in any right.
Even the echoplexed spoken bits are less annoying in surround.
:music

You're probably referring to the two upmixes as part of this surround mix. The first one ("Spiral Galaxy") works pretty well actually, but the last track ("Kings of Speed") just sounds awful, and I usually end up shutting off the album after "Dying Seas".
I originally gave this one a '10', but this one has not grown on me at all from a musical perspective, so I would probably drop down my vote to a '9' from a combination of the music and the two upmixes, especially in light of all of the stellar SW surround mixes that have come out since then.

I've had this for awhile, just listened to it again recently. Blown away by the mix, now realizing that Steve Wilson did the mix there is no wonder it's that it is so good, lots of surround effects. I don't recall Hawkwind back in the day, if I would of heard it then I would of been an instant fan. How can you go wrong with "Space Rock"!!! This wets my appetite for more Hawkwind even if stereo only.

Finally got my hards on this fucker and man is it good! I gave it a 10. I already love this record so having the 5.1 mix adds to the greatness of it.

It's really amazing to hear Hawkwind with this level of production values!

Now I REALLY want to hear the rest of their catalog (up to say 1995 or so anyway) mixed like this!

Bummer that these guys lost the multitracks for Simon's track though. :(
They must have lost the masters for all the bonus tracks on one of the last CD productions a few years ago as well because those tracks are all CD res copies on this set. :(

But that's Hawkwind and this mix at least is fantastic!

I've had the chaos shield on a wall for a long time now. No attempt at including shrunken artwork to get that across unfortunately.
The original stereo mix in HD is a substantial upgrade for that too. :)

Gos, said something recently about this release would not be that great in stereo but the SW 5.1 treatment really opened it up for him and it is good. The votes on the poll are pretty equal at 8,9,10. I listened this morning on my Tidal account at work and I stuck with it and after the first couple tracks I really enjoyed the long spacey jams and it had some very pronounced stereo moments. I decided to order, and I think I will really like the 5.1, a little pricey. Is it my final purchase for 2018?

I voted 8. This is certainly Prog rock at its best/worst. I listened to the 5.1 DVD-A 24/96 and had mixed feelings, loved some of the trippy arrangements, the vocals where black and white meaning good or horrible. The box set is over done for only 3 discs. I paid $98.70, too expensive. As you can see more negatives than positives. The 5.1 mix by SW is good, not his best. The 5.1 mix is certainly immersive meaning, room filling, and somewhat discrete , meaning great different instruments being used in different speakers, the opening track is very discrete and I thought wow, gonna be a good one, but as tracks came and went so did discrete moments.
Maybe I am disappointed after my two most recent Ayreon surrounds, yeah, that’s probably it.
At the price I paid I would not recommend this release, $35.00 would be more appropriate. But then again 8 isn’t that bad.

Last edited:
I guess the market for Hawkwind in 5.1 is not that great. I would have hoped for more multichannel releases after this one.

An 8, almost a 9, but not quite. The album is good - I'd never heard it before, but not a classic to these ears. Pity Wilson didn't do more Hawkwind, as I'd like to hear more. The only other one I have is Space Ritual.

Back