HiRez Poll Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time (DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time

• Total voters
I truly enjoy every aspect of the mix, music and sound. One of Steven Wilson's best mixes and some really great 70's prog. Well done.

Fantastic surround mix (Steven Wilson's best 5.1 mix of "old material" so far, for me), fidelity's not perfect but I reckon its the best you're going to get and the disc/package itself is beautifully put together.

Love it! :D An essential purchase imho.

Hearty Congratulations to all involved in the release.

Its a "10" from me.

Wonderful music, with a stellar mix! An instant 10, and although it's still relatively early, so far, this is my vote for surround release of the year. We need more like this.

This 5.1 mix makes me appreciate this album much more than the original stereo mix.

I reserve my note for the time being. :) So far the 5.1 mix gets a 10 from me. I'll have to listen to the stereo remix.

It was not one of my favourite Hawkwind albums, but I've altered my view after listening to the 5.1 version quite a few times,. So considering its age it sounds excellent, and I really enjoy the album musically now. Shame the multi's couldn't be found/used for Spiral Galaxy 28948 & Kings Of Speed but the rest of the mix wins hands down, IMHO. Nice package from Cherry Red/Atomhenge. A 10 from me.

For those of you who may have missed the Super Deluxe Set, this was on an e-mail from Burning Shed.

"Having sold out of the deluxe and super deluxe versions of this magnificent reissue, a second and final very limited pressing of the super deluxe edition is being made.

Featuring the band at its most conceptual, ambitious and Progressive, Warrior is rightly regarded as one of the most essential releases in Hawkwind's illustrious catalogue.

This edition marks the first time that the original analogue stereo master tapes have been used for a remastered edition. The set also features a wonderful 5.1 remix from the original 16-track master tapes by Steven Wilson, who has also provided a new stereo remix.

This version additionally includes thirteen bonus tracks drawn from studio out-takes and the 1975 Watchfield Festival, an audiophile flat transfer heavyweight LP (in facsimile 'shield' gatefold sleeve with insert), a detailed 48 page booklet, three promotional postcards, a replica 1975 concert ticket, and a reproduction a US in-store poster.

Pre-order now for shipping at the end of June 2013.
"

So maybe Cherry Red/Atomhenge will do some more 5.1 releases of Hawkwind? Lets e-mail them!

Wow! What a fantastic mix! The mix definitely gets a 10 with the exception of the tracks without multis available. "Kings of Speed" is my least favorite track anyways, so I just hit stop before that one.

The fidelity is also very good given the age of the recording. The new stereo mix is also very good. I haven't yet compared it directly to the remaster, though.

I gave a rating of 10. It is not the most confident 10 I've given, since a couple tracks are mediocre, but the tracks that are good are REALLY good with Steven's mix.

Who rated it a 1? Strange...

This is an 8 for me. The mix is great but having 2 tracks upmixed takes away from the overall package and must factor into the score. Actually the job on "Spiral Galaxy 28948" is pretty decent and overall the 5.1 mix is satisfying.

My main problem with this recording is the fidelity. The "sound of the sound" leaves me wanting for something with more presence. It seems distant and somewhat thin and it doesn't jump out as being particularly "high-rez" when compared to other re-mixed recordings of that era (King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Lynyrd Skynyrd).

Although the poll says that it is, I believe that content is a personal matter and I don't include it in my score. The songs are great with a trippy feel. For me it has that flashback-to-the-70s feel.

So, I have cast the lowest vote so far (if you exclude the "1" which is just sour grapes from a banned member). The sound and mix were fine, but for me the music is a little dated and, for prog, pretty basic. Comparing it to the Jethro Tull Disc TAAB which I played today all the way through, and glitches aside, there is no comparison. I imagine if I had grown up with this I would relate to it better, but southern Illinois had no Hawkwind in the '70s. Oh we were international, plenty of Triumph, Rush and April Wine, and Scorpions, and lots of British stuff too. Not this band though, would not have gone well with Busch or PBR. Hope the Quatermass I have on order is better!

So, I have listened to the disc a few more times in the car, just stereo CD. If I skip all the talking parts that annoy me, I would bump it up to a 7, and I may be inclined to play it from time to time, but with all the music I do have, when will it make the rotation??? For prog it is still not very technical, and the guitar work is kinda amateurish, but I do appreciate all the wind instruments and some of the tunes are kinda catchy.

Last edited:
I had always heard about this band being a Prog icon....I started listening to the stereo and the Music is fine, but it all went to hell in a handbasket when the singing started....sorry, maybe I'm picky (OK I AM picky)
So my plan to get this disappeared...
I'm happy for the people who enjoy this, though...¡Olé!

I had always heard about this band being a Prog icon....I started listening to the stereo and the Music is fine, but it all went to hell in a handbasket when the singing started....sorry, maybe I'm picky (OK I AM picky)

No fan of Motorhead either ?
not that its all Lemmy!

I give this one an 9. I'm a big Hawkwind fan, but to be honest, this is probably my least favorite of the Lemmy-era albums. I think the songs are just a notch or two below those on "Doremi Fasol Latido" and "In Search of Space". "Space Ritual" in quad would be a dream come true...

That said, I think that SW did an excellent job of bringing this album to life with the surround mix. It definitely has that immersive feel of all of his great mixes and there also are some nice "swirling" discrete moments as well. I'm not as bothered by the upmixes as some others are, and I actually think they fit in pretty well with the rest of the album. I wonder how many of us would have identified them as being upmixes if the liner notes didn't inform us of that!

I only have two minor gripes, and they have nothing to do with the surround mix. The first is that I wish that the front of the box (I have the 3-disc version) reproduced the actual original cover, rather than approximating the entire gatefold image. In fact, I would have loved a mini-poster in the box that reproduced the original fold-out cover. Secondly, I'm not sure if there was a real need to put the SW stereo mix on its own CD. I think it would have been fine to solely put it in hi-res on the DVD, as it is not radically different from the original mix (at least, as far as I could tell after one listen). I would have preferred the original album by itself on Disc One, all of the bonus tracks together on Disc Two (rather than spreading them out among the two CDs), and then the DVD with the surround and various stereo mixes. As I said, though, this is all minor stuff. The main features---the surround mix and the bonus tracks---make this one a winner for me.

Re: comparisons to KC, JT, etc. Um, guys... this is Hawkwind we're talking about here! I'm still not sure how these guys deliver their 'experience' so well with VERY limited technique and mostly VERY low budget albums. But I just love them even though I usually need to listen to the likes of KC, Yes, Zappa and that kind of thing.

I really think SW did an amazing job of reading the bands perceptions and vision better than they had the ability to!

It is a shame Spiral Galaxy and Kings of Speed were lost and the upmixes are awkwardly obvious if you're actively listening. Oh well... Honestly with these guys I'm surprised that so many of the multitracks were still around!

Good god, the original stereo master is just night and day better on this DVD! Vinyl is retired, album cover is on the wall. (It goes without saying that any and all of the past 16 bit copies paled compared to the original vinyl)

Then there are the CD only bonus tracks. Wonder what happened here. Masters and multitracks lost for all the single b-sides too? All they could do was clone the 90's CD copies of these? Weird... Speaking of, the Weird Tapes tracks do sound worked on beyond those 90's CD releases of them. Did all this stuff get lost then and only the CD copies remain? Honestly...

Yeah um, anyway, if you like Hawkwind get this! This 5.1 remix of an album like this is just something that normally doesn't happen in this world.

Oh, and the DVD has no DRM, reduction in quality, or other shenanigans going on. Exactly as advertised! Getting rare these days...

I'm not fond of the mastering of the stereo tracks (remix, original on the 1st CD and bonus). Sounds a bit harsh and compressed; you can't crank it. I think that's what makes the stereo remix and the original mix sound a bit samey.

The 5.1 is stellar, some bonus tracks are interesting.

have you heard the surround on this though yet El kap'n? it's AMAZEBUBBLES!!! :D

have you heard the surround on this though yet El kap'n? it's AMAZEBUBBLES!!! :D

Well if I could afford it with no problem , I would've bought it already...unfortunately , I can't and I have to be VERY selective with what I get now...(now I got a -cheap- car, but , man, gas pries are OBSCENE!!!)

Well if I could afford it with no problem , I would've bought it already...unfortunately , I can't and I have to be VERY selective with what I get now...(now I got a -cheap- car, but , man, gas pries are OBSCENE!!!)

it's such a shame :( SW's surround mix is incredible on this one! the material is transformed!

Back