Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as a follow on, I wish Cherry Red had released the Isley Quad mixes as bonuses/part of deluxe editions when they were reissuing their expanded remasters of Isley Brothers albums.. but I'm not surprised they didn't.. I was more surprised they made the effort and investment to release them at this point in time/at all..!

I suspect it may be a one-off, as Cherry Red have already reissued remastered/expanded versions of a fair number of Hawkwind back catalogue ('76 onwards) stuff.. though there's nothing stopping them revisiting albums they've reissued.. though I'm guessing along the lines of their Steve Miller reissues this 5.1 will be a one-off in a series too.

oops! I could be wrong and this may not be the only Hawkwind to come in 5.1..!

Steve Millers' Capitol albums have been reissued in the UK by EDSEL (who've also reissued all the Doobies Warner albums in the UK fairly recently, to great acclaim for their remastering, though I can't vouch for them personally) and not Cherry Red..! Apologies :eek:

For those of you in the US, Cheery Red have replied on shipping costs.

"I think it will be available to purchase from Amazon at some point, although we have actually reduced our original shipping costs overseas now.

Kind regards,
Jon Sidwell
Cherry Red Records."

Okay, as this has been announced I will spell it out for you then, you old cynic :)

This is a full blown DVD-A/V hybrid contai9ning 24/96 5.1 in MLP, 24/96 stereo in MLP, the 2013 remixes in 5.1 DD and DTS 96/24 and the original master as a flat transfer also in 24/96 LPCM.
None of the DVD-A will suffer from remastering, all we are doing to Steven's mixes is filtering the LFE channel.

There ya go.

Wow, good that I clicked on the thread title and thus I learnt it is going to feature a dvd-a with lossless surround (by you know who) and not just a dvd-v with dts encoding. This morning I read the item page on the Burning Shed site but it does NOT say dvd-a or lossless surround. But I would have bought it anyway because there is high res stereo of the original master mentioned. But now I have a wider smile :) on my face. Can hardly wait...

What a rollercoaster of emotions I’ve just been through…

I saw this on the http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ website and was thrilled.
Then I saw it was posted on 1 April and I genuinely thought it was too good to be true, so must be an April Fool’s joke.:(
Then I checked on Cherry Red, and it was real, hooray!
Then I saw that it was a stupid “£70 for a postcard” Pink Floyd type thing. I love Floyd and Hawkwind, but I’m not paying £70 or more to get one album in surround.:(
Then I saw that the DVD-A is available at a sensible price in the ‘medium’ box set! Hooray again!:banana:

So well done to Cherry Red for doing the right thing. Really looking forward to this.

So... I have gotten permission to write a bit about this disc. I was lucky enough to be one of the QC testers of this disc and I can honestly say it is one of my all-time favorite surround mixes. Steven Wilson has opened this mix up and, IMO, it screams 70's prog. For instance - the "poems" seem to almost travel from front to back over your head. It is nicely open and full with nice full bass. I have listened to the full disc 3 or 4 times now and am amazed every time. It is definitely a true DVD-A 96/24 disc. In addition it has a 96/24 LPCM new stereo mix and the original stereo mix - also in 96/24. Also included is a nice sounding DTS 9624 version if you don't have DVD-A. I think this disc should be in any surround lover's collection.

If you are a Hawkwind fan it's definitely a no-braner.

Reactions: GOS
So... I have gotten permission to write a bit about this disc. I was lucky enough to one of the QC testers of this disc and I can honestly say it is one of my all-time favorite surround mixes. Steven Wilson has opened this mix up and, IMO, it screams 70's prog. For instance - the "poems" seem to almost travel from front to back over your head. It is nicely open and full with nice full bass. I have listened to the full disc 3 or 4 times now and am amazed every time. It is definitely a true DVD-A 96/24 disc. In addition it has a 96/24 LPCM new stereo mix and the original stereo mix - also in 96/24. Also included is a nice sounding DTS 9624 version if you don't have DVD-A. I think this disc should be in any surround lover's collection.

Thanks for this, Bob :) I was teetering on the edge about picking this up but you've now pushed me over. Ordered! :)

BY the way... If you have only ever heard the Dojo label CD. You are in for a real treat. That version is a dub of the vinyl. This is about 1000 times better from the original tapes.

You lucky bastard :)
Thanks for the review. This is what we all have been hoping for.

So... I have gotten permission to write a bit about this disc. I was lucky enough to be one of the QC testers of this disc and I can honestly say it is one of my all-time favorite surround mixes. Steven Wilson has opened this mix up and, IMO, it screams 70's prog. For instance - the "poems" seem to almost travel from front to back over your head. It is nicely open and full with nice full bass. I have listened to the full disc 3 or 4 times now and am amazed every time. It is definitely a true DVD-A 96/24 disc. In addition it has a 96/24 LPCM new stereo mix and the original stereo mix - also in 96/24. Also included is a nice sounding DTS 9624 version if you don't have DVD-A. I think this disc should be in any surround lover's collection.

If you are a Hawkwind fan it's definitely a no-braner.

Superb! Many thanks for the heads-up. Am I jealous? Not a bit! (...can you tell I'm lying?)

I pre-ordered from Amazon.ca on April 10 and the price was $30.93 (Expanded Edition). Today I see the price has jumped to $37.05. I'm feeling lucky because usually I get hit the other way around.

Whew.... I got lucky too! I ordered on April 8 for $30.86.

I am pumped about this release after hearing Bob's review!

Finally pre-ordered this disc from Burning Shed (don't know why it took me so long to do so) :)
No need for the SUPER deluxe edition as it offers all of the same discs as the 3-disc version, and I don't play vinyl.
SO EXCITED TO HEAR THIS ONE IN 5.1 :D

Reactions: GOS
Finally pre-ordered this disc from Burning Shed (don't know why it took me so long to do so) :)
No need for the SUPER deluxe edition as it offers all of the same discs as the 3-disc version, and I don't play vinyl.
SO EXCITED TO HEAR THIS ONE IN 5.1 :D
I think you will really... REALLY like it!!!

Back