Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following the development of this release from the sidelines for several years. It goes back to an e-mail exchange I had with Vicki from Esoteric (Cherry Red) about the Hawkwind re-masters in 2009/10 and if/when they were going to do "Warrior."

She explained at the time that they were desperate to do it but had real problems with getting the rights sorted out (typical Hawkwind "family" complications, I seem to recall.) I was so pleased to find out a few years later that not only had they sorted this out, giving the green light for the re-release, but also that SW was re-mixing it for 5.1.

I've since had another short e-mail discussion with Esoteric about the possibility of retro-fitting some of the other Hawkwind titles with 5.1. For example "Levitation" and "Hawklords" would both be incredible in surround. The issue is that they're only a relatively small label and the cost of a 5.1 mix and release is a big investment for them which has to return in terms of sales. There is at least one other surround success in their catalogue; the re-issue of Tony Bank's "It's a Curious Feeling" has an incredible 5.1 DTS mix which sold out almost overnight.

I live in hope that if the Warrior surround editions sell well that Esoteric/Cherry Red may turn into another label willing to invest in surround, so please, please, please support this release!

For my part this is a seminal album from my teen years. For those that don't know Michael Moorcock was heavily involved with the band at the time and the loose "theme" of the album is his "Etenal Champion" series. It has loads of scope for some surround theatrics and fireworks which I feel sure SW will have exploited to the full in the mix. I can't remember being more stoked about a 5.1 release! :)

I'd love "In Search Of Space" as it was the first album I ever bought, "Hall Of The Mountain Grill" would be good too. Hawkwind is one of the most collected bands, so if the "Warrior" release sells really well it might set a precedent?

Just a tip for those of us living in north America, Amazon is now advertising a domestic issue of the three disc set for $10 cheaper. It will be released June 14. So you might want to cancel your pre-orders for the import and order this version or $10 less.

I ain't cancelling either - Burning Shed actively supports this type of audio presentation and give the most awesome customer service. If occasionally I pay a bit more - still worth it!!! Thanks Burning Shed, Steven Wilson and Hawkwind!

I ain't cancelling either - Burning Shed actively supports this type of audio presentation and give the most awesome customer service. If occasionally I pay a bit more - still worth it!!! Thanks Burning Shed, Steven Wilson and Hawkwind!
Sure. But you can say the same thing about Amazon. They support this kind of audio presentation - I've been able to buy many dvd-a's from Amazon. And their customer service is world class. I think what really counts is the number of copies sold; where you buy is personal choice and good dollar value is for me a priority.

Agreed - it comes down to personal choice. Burning Shed has never let me down on pre-orders - I have always got excellent service. Amazon service on pre-orders has been spotty for me - I see you are from the same neck of the woods (1.5 hours up the highway) but alot of the time when I pre-order something a little more obscure (such as this) it seems to get delayed and then I wish I paid a few extra bucks from a specialty store.

Just over 3 weeks til this drops on our doormats!

I'm Soooooo mega excited about this one!! Bob Romano reckons we're all gonna love it and that's good enough endorsement for me! (y)

remember... your mileage may vary. But IMO it's one of SW's best.... and Hawkwind's too:banana:

Reactions: GOS
Agreed - it comes down to personal choice. Burning Shed has never let me down on pre-orders - I have always got excellent service. Amazon service on pre-orders has been spotty for me - I see you are from the same neck of the woods (1.5 hours up the highway) but alot of the time when I pre-order something a little more obscure (such as this) it seems to get delayed and then I wish I paid a few extra bucks from a specialty store.
Welcome to a fellow Albertan! Can't say that my Amazon experience has been like yours but I do have my pre-order for Hawkwind with Amazon so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

On another note I'm hoping it's finally safe to say that winter is really over! :D

Welcome to a fellow Albertan! Can't say that my Amazon experience has been like yours but I do have my pre-order for Hawkwind with Amazon so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

On another note I'm hoping it's finally safe to say that winter is really over! :D

...We still have May long weekend with prob a 25% chance of flurries! Yes, I hope it is over - what a long winter!

I host a radio show in Edmonton CJSR FM88.5 Monday nights called The Erotic Dancer's Guide to Fine Music. Likely a bit out of range for Lacombe but you can catch broadcasts also on the web cjsr.com or past broadcasts on Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/alan-burant If you like prog, you will enjoy. And I plug the benefits of hi-rez and surround alot!

Just looking back at the first page of this post and wow! I'm amazed that there are people who have never heard of or heard any Hawkwind! ;) As you've probably noticed they have a H U G E catalog made even more confusing by all the side projects, compilations etc.

The Cherry Red/Esoteric/Atomhenge re-issues are, imho, the definitive versions. Besides Warrio, the albums Levitation, Chronicle of the Black Sword, 25 years on (Hawklords), In Search of Space and, of course, the mind blowing double live album "Space Ritual" are my favourites.

Just looking back at the first page of this post and wow! I'm amazed that there are people who have never heard of or heard any Hawkwind! ;) As you've probably noticed they have a H U G E catalog made even more confusing by all the side projects, compilations etc.

The Cherry Red/Esoteric/Atomhenge re-issues are, imho, the definitive versions. Besides Warrio, the albums Levitation, Chronicle of the Black Sword, 25 years on (Hawklords), In Search of Space and, of course, the mind blowing double live album "Space Ritual" are my favourites.

I'm amazed at that as well, saw them 1st time on the "Hall Of The Mountain Grill" tour...sadly no Stacia though!

The only time I saw Hawkwind was in the 80's at Glastonbury when they were playing in the travellers field on a flatbed truck.

At least I think it was Hawkwind very late very tired and very much overindulged the follies of youth !!!

Post form Burning Shed in Facebook:

Look what just arrived: Hawkind Warrior On The Edge of Time - Super Deluxe Edition (2cd/1dvd/vinyl box set preorder) inc Steven Wilson mixes https://www.burningshed.com/store/psychedelic/collection/483/
977481_526385700744523_303431151_o.jpg

Back