Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1679

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This was mentioned in one of the Steven Wilson threads but now that there's a little more detail coming I guess it needs its own thread!

The DVD specifically mentions dolby, dts and dvd-a lossless streams, so it really looks like its a true dvd-a...yippee!

(thanks to "esoteric" for posting the info)

May 25th release

3 editions---single CD, 3 disc deluxe clamshell (like Levitation) or the all singing , all dancing box set, complete with exact vinyl replica, large book, poster, postcards etc. --see text for details.

Those that buy direct from Cherry Red will also receive a unique bonus download of the first run through of "Assault and Battery" . This will be available for those that order the full box set and direct from the website.

SINGLE EDITION (DIGIPACK)

“WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME”
Remastered original stereo master tapes:

1. Assault and Battery / The Golden Void
2. The Wizard Blew His Horn
3. Opa-Loka
4. The Demented Man
5. Magnu
6. Standing at the Edge
7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
8. Warriors
9. Dying Seas
10. Kings of Speed

Bonus track:

11. Motorhead

B-side of single – Released in March 1975

• ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• 3 Disc Edition (Clamshell box)

• THE LONG AWAITED OFFICIAL EXPANDED 3 DISC DELUXE REMASTERED EDITION OF HAWKWIND’S CLASSIC 1975 ALBUM
• FEATURING THE FIRST EVER REMASTERED VERSION MADE FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOGUE MASTER TAPES ON CD ONE PLUS 8 BONUS TRACKS, FIVE PREVIOUSLY OFFICIALLY UNRELEASED
• CD TWO FEATURES A NEW STEREO MIX BY STEVEN WILSON MADE FROM THE MULTI-TRACK MASTER TAPES PLUS 5 BONUS TRACKS, TWO PREVIOUSLY OFFICIALLY UNRELEASED
• DISC THREE – NTSC REGION FREE DVD FEATURING NEW 5.1 SURROUND & STEREO MIXES OF “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME” BY STEVEN WILSON & A 96 kHz 24-BIT FLAT TRANSFER OF THE ORIGINAL 1975 STEREO MASTER TAPES
• ALSO FEATURES BOOKLET WITH PHOTOS, MEMORABILIA & ESSAY

ATOMHENGE, the home of HAWKWIND’s catalogue from 1975 – 1997, are pleased to announce the long awaited release of a definitive edition of the classic 1975 album “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME”. Recorded in 1975, the album is a ground-breaking classic of Hawkwind’s career. Featuring a line-up of DAVE BROCK, NIK TURNER, LEMMY, SIMON HOUSE, SIMON KING & ALAN POWELL, the album is arguably one of the finest rock albums of the mid-1970s. This Atomhenge edition marks the first time that the original analogue stereo master tapes have been used for a remastered edition. This set also features a wonderful 5.1 Surround Sound remix from the original 16-track master tapes by Steven Wilson, who has also undertaken a splendid new stereo remix. The set also features a total of thirteen bonus tracks drawn from out-takes of the recording sessions and the 1975 Watchfield Festival, seven of which are previously unreleased. This deluxe edition of “WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME” is a definitive release of this classic album.

DISC ONE

The remastered original stereo master tapes:

3. Opa-Loka
4. The Demented Man
5. Magnu
6. Standing at the Edge
7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
8. Warriors
9. Dying Seas
10. Kings of Speed

Bonus tracks:

11. Motorhead

B-side of single – Released in March 1975

12. Soldiers at the Edge of Time
(Michael Moorcock version)
13. On the Road
14. The Wizard Blew His Horn (Nik Turner version)
15. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (demo)
16. Soldiers at the Edge of Time (Nik Turner version)

Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouth in March 1975
Previously unreleased

17. Motorhead (Dave Brock vocal version)
18. Kings of Speed (instrumental version)

Recorded at Olympic Studios, Barnes in January 1975

DISC TWO
New stereo mixes by Steven Wilson:

3. Opa-Loka
4. The Demented Man
5. Magnu
6. Standing at the Edge
7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
8. Warriors
9. Dying Seas
10. Kings of Speed

Bonus tracks:

11. Motorhead (instrumental demo)
12. Dawn

Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouth in March 1975
Previously unreleased

13. Watchfield Festival Jam
14. Circles
15. I Am the Eye

Recorded at the Watchfield Free Festival on 23rd August 1975

DISC THREE – REGION FREE NTSC DVD

5.1 Surround Sound & new Stereo mixes by Steven Wilson:

3. Opa-Loka
4. The Demented Man
5. Magnu
6. Standing at the Edge
7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
8. Warriors
9. Dying Seas
10. Kings of Speed

Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options

96kHz 24-Bit Flat transfer of the original 1975 stereo master tapes:

3. Opa-Loka
4. The Demented Man
5. Magnu
6. Standing at the Edge
7. Spiral Galaxy 28948
8. Warriors
9. Dying Seas
10. Kings of Speed

Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options

• WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME BOX SET

ALL THE CONTENT FROM THE 3 DISC VERSION PLUS THE FOLLOWING HOUSED IN A BEAUTIFUL BOX-----PHIL SMEE PACKAGE.

• 180g VINYL LP FACSIMILE EDITION WITH “SHIELD” GATEFOLD SLEEVE & INNER BAG (cut from the original analogue cutting master tapes)

• ALSO INCLUDES:
- DELUXE 48 PAGE BOOK WITH PHOTOS, MEMORABILIA & ESSAY
- A REPRODUCTION OF THE AMERICAN IN-STORE PROMOTIONAL POSTER
- A REPLICA CONCERT TICKET FROM DETROIT IN 1975
- THREE PROMOTIONAL POSTCARDS

FOR THOSE THAT PURCHASE THE FULL BOX SET DIRECT FROM ATOMHENGE THERE WILL ALSO BE A UNIQUE DOWNLOAD ENCLOSED OF THE FIRST RUN THROUGH OF ASSAULT AND BATTERY

The vinyl will only be available as part of the box--we are not doing a separate vinyl pressing.

The box set will be a limited edition and once the first press has gone--that will be it.

I will alert you immediately when presell starts--should be either later this week or early next week at the very latest-we just have to notify retail first. I know there will always be the ---why not XXX etc, please bear in mind , it has all been scoured and we are only happy to use content that is of really good quality. The unique download track was left off the box because it wasnt felt that it wasnt quite 100% --however it makes for a great bonus.

I'm always the skeptic because we've all been burned before. Why does it not anywhere explicitly say dvd-a 5.1? The closest it gets is "Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options" on disc 3. It just makes me a bit nervous that it spells out Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 but not DVD-A 5.1.

I'm always the skeptic because we've all been burned before. Why does it not anywhere explicitly say dvd-a 5.1? The closest it gets is "Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound & DVD-A Lossless files playback options" on disc 3. It just makes me a bit nervous that it spells out Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 but not DVD-A 5.1.

Okay, as this has been announced I will spell it out for you then, you old cynic :)

This is a full blown DVD-A/V hybrid contai9ning 24/96 5.1 in MLP, 24/96 stereo in MLP, the 2013 remixes in 5.1 DD and DTS 96/24 and the original master as a flat transfer also in 24/96 LPCM.
None of the DVD-A will suffer from remastering, all we are doing to Steven's mixes is filtering the LFE channel.

There ya go.

Okay, as this has been announced I will spell it out for you then, you old cynic :)

This is a full blown DVD-A/V hybrid contai9ning 24/96 5.1 in MLP, 24/96 stereo in MLP, the 2013 remixes in 5.1 DD and DTS 96/24 and the original master as a flat transfer also in 24/96 LPCM.
None of the DVD-A will suffer from remastering, all we are doing to Steven's mixes is filtering the LFE channel.

There ya go.

superb news! thank you Neil (y)

on a related SW tangent.. could I just ask, do you know if Gus Dudgeon's original stereo mixes for the XTC "Nonsuch" album still exist?

..and if they do, have they been considered for inclusion in the upcoming DGM XTC release along with SW's new 5.1 mix etc.?

all we are doing to Steven's mixes is filtering the LFE channel.
A very good idea. :)
I don't know this album but apparently this is considered one of the best Hawkwind albums (except the track The Wizard Blows His Horn), so probably worth it.

A very good idea. :)
I don't know this album but apparently this is considered one of the best Hawkwind albums (except the track The Wizard Blows His Horn), so probably worth it.

There are some real classic tracks on the album; it's a loosely coupled concept album based on Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" books and "The Wizard Blew His Horn" relates directly to the central theme of the books. I can imagine it may seem a very odd track indeed to anyone who has no concept of the books!

I've just e-mailed CherryRed to ask about US options. They're pretty good at replying so I'll post what i get back.

In the UK they have just e-mailed to say that their postage costs were too high, and will be sending out refunds for the excess, so there may have been a web site error on shipping costs.

superb news! thank you Neil (y)

on a related SW tangent.. could I just ask, do you know if Gus Dudgeon's original stereo mixes for the XTC "Nonsuch" album still exist?

..and if they do, have they been considered for inclusion in the upcoming DGM XTC release along with SW's new 5.1 mix etc.?

Yes & Yes.

I have never heard of this band. I went to CDNow and listened to some tracks from their other albums. Apparently they were quite productive. I like what I heard and my four ears are drooling! I hope this won't be a one off. Sounds like it's going to be a real treat!
The Quadfather

Reactions: GOS
I have never heard of this band. I went to CDNow and listened to some tracks from their other albums. Apparently they were quite productive. I like what I heard and my four ears are drooling! I hope this won't be a one off. Sounds like it's going to be a real treat!
The Quadfather

I suspect it may be a one-off, as Cherry Red have already reissued remastered/expanded versions of a fair number of Hawkwind back catalogue ('76 onwards) stuff.. though there's nothing stopping them revisiting albums they've reissued.. though I'm guessing along the lines of their Steve Miller reissues this 5.1 will be a one-off in a series too.

Back