Quad LP/Tape Poll Hayes, Isaac: Truck Turner [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ of Isaac Hayes - Truck Turner

• 9 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Soundtrack to the film Truck Turner, Hayes' second project of 1974 to find him both starring and recording the soundtrack, barely 4 months after the release of Tough Guys. Appearing alongside him were Yaphet Kotto, and Nichelle Nichols (Star Trek's Uhura) playing against type as a kind of female pimp.

The album was released in quad alongside its stereo counterpart in July 1974 to coincide with the release of the film. As with previous Stax/Enterprise quad LPs, the quad version of this album is housed in a stereo sleeve with large 'SQ' stickers on the front and spine (sometimes red, sometimes teal, or a mixture of both) indicating the new quad catalog number.

@Mark Anderson 's quad soundtrack discography suggests that this was also released on Q8, but in my 20+ years of collecting I've never seen a copy, nor even a picture of one, so I'm inclined to believe this was an LP-only release, unlike all of Hayes other quad mixes, which were released on both LP and Q8.

Truck Turner would be Hayes last quad release, and also album of original material for Stax (barring a couple of odds-and-sods compilations of unreleased material put out years later) which fell into bankruptcy partway through 1975. Hayes would end up succumbing to the same fate as the result of the Stax bankruptcy meant that millions of dollars in owed royalties went unpaid - after setting up his own HBS ("Hot Buttered Soul") imprint under ABC where he put out a trio of albums starting with 1975's Chocolate Chip, before moving on to Polydor where he basically recorded an album a year through 1981, almost solely to pay off the tax bill arising from his bankruptcy.

1615706511844.png
Enterprise EQS 2-7507 [2 x SQ LP]
Discogs link: LP
Wiki for the album: Truck Turner

(If the 2 x Q8 set does miraculously exist, the catalog number would be EQ8 2-7507)

Album 1 - Side 1
  1. "Main Title (Truck Turner)"
  2. "House Of Beauty"
  3. "Blue's Crib"
  4. "Driving In The Sun"

Album 1 - Side 2
  1. "Breakthrough"
  2. "Now We're One"
  3. "The Duke"
  4. "Dorinda's Party"

Album 2 - Side 1
  1. "Pursuit Of The Pimpmobile"
  2. "We Need Each Other Girl"
  3. "A House Full Of Girls"
  4. "Hospital Shootout"

Album 2 - Side 2
  1. "You're In My Arms Again"
  2. "Give It To Me"
  3. "Drinking"
  4. "The Insurance Company"
  5. "End Theme"

This is such a great album, by far my favoarite from Isaac. Never heard the quad, but it's at the top of my wish list.
Hint, hint Dutton-Vocalion :cool:

Last edited:
Amazing soundtrack and the movie is in my top 5 movies of all time. Never heard the QUAD of this one either but have heard all the other Isaac Hayes QUADs as conversions. For some reason this one isn't out there like the others have been over the years.

Amazing soundtrack and the movie is in my top 5 movies of all time. Never heard the QUAD of this one either but have heard all the other Isaac Hayes QUADs as conversions. For some reason this one isn't out there like the others have been over the years.

the Double SQ LP set is unfortunately very scarce indeed and the Q8 set doesn't appear to exist at all. PM anytime for info etc.

I found my QUAD 2-LP copy on Discogs from a Seller in Canada. It was Mint Minus for $75.00 USD. The LP's are in MINT perfect condition and pressed at MONARCH which was way more quality than SONIC Record Pressing. Sadly, I have never listened to it in true quadraphonic. Just stereo. I also have a cherry mint minus MONARCH pressing of Tough Guys. Love it as well. Dana

Last edited:
I found my QUAD 2-LP copy on Discogs from a Seller in Canada. It was Mint Minus for $75.00 USD. The LP's are in MINT perfect condition and pressed at MONARCH which was way more quality than SONIC Record Pressing. Sadly, I have never listened to it in true quadraphonic. Just stereo. I also have a cherry mint minus MONARCH pressing of Touch Guys. Love it as well. Dana
First post, be a great start; now all you need is an Involve Surround Master to hear this in its true glory!

Surprised I’ve never commented here as I have this one thanks from a tip by steelydave.

I absolutely love the music, but feel a slightly more discrete version over the SQ would be a welcomed improvement.

I need to revisit this one for more detailed analysis, but for now I’ll go with a 10 also.

🙏 DV

First post, be a great start; now all you need is an Involve Surround Master to hear this in its true glory!

Surprised I’ve never commented here as I have this one thanks from a tip by steelydave.

I absolutely love the music, but feel a slightly more discrete version over the SQ would be a welcomed improvement.

I need to revisit this one for more detailed analysis, but for now I’ll go with a 10 also.

🙏 DV
Hi there. So, with an Involve Surround Master unit I would not need a special quad stylus for my Technics SL-1210GAE turntable? I only own 3 quad LP's. The two mentioned and SHAFT. Thanks, Dana

Hi there. So, with an Involve Surround Master unit I would not need a special quad stylus for my Technics SL-1210GAE turntable? I only own 3 quad LP's. The two mentioned and SHAFT. Thanks, Dana
I believe those are all SQ and would probably do fine with a normal cart./stylus if in good condition and alignment. But you would also need to have analog connections going from the Surround Master to an AVR/ etc. that accepts analog in connections for 4.x-7.1 etc. and of course at least 4 speakers.

edit- of course there are tons more great Quad albums out there to get into as well :)

Any good stereo cartridge and stylus will work for SQ, and QS, records. The one you have now will be fine.

Back