HD-Audio: room reversing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macminimalis

Hi all,

I need to figure this out:

I want to use a Mac Pro (with internal Blu-Ray player-i still need to find one), an AV Pre/Pro, a TV and a Projector.

TV is on one side of the room and projector placed above the TV beams its picture to the other side of the room.

Since buying 14 channels of amplification would not make sense, I need to find:

-either a sound card that decodes DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD... and sends the decoded audio via 7.1 analogue outputs. These analogue outs would then be connected, in reverse (front is back and right is left) to the 7.1ch in of the AV Pre.This way I can reverse the room sound only by selecting the audio outs in the Mac and switching between HDMI and analogue out. Decoding would be done by the mac for one side of the room, and by the receiver for the other side.
I've searched the web for this, and there are multichannel cards for Mac, only they don't seem to handle the proprietary formats. The ones that do are available solely on PC.

-or an AV Pre that would simply allow me to assign the different channels it decodes to any of its analogue pre-out. This would be the simplest option. Only the mainstream manufacturers (Denon, Onkyo, Marantz) don't seem to offer that (in my humble opinion) basic feature-when they offer so many options that I find useless (I really prefer minimalist, clever design, rather than a Rube Goldberg machine with 6 S-video and composite ins and outs when no one has used these connectors for at least ten years...).

I know getting a second AV pre-pro instead of a sound card would do the job, but just like with the speakers, I feel it makes little sense.

Can anyone let me know if they have encountered this issue and what they did to solve it?

Thank you

Last edited:
Didn't Denon offer a HUGE receiver a few years ago that allowed you to change channels/amps at will? So you could, for example, make the Right Front speaker feed come from the Left Back speaker if desired. I think it was over $5,000.

Back