hdmi dvd player into hdmi tv then tv optical cable to surround amp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aifrecords

as described in title i have a hdmi only hole in back of dvd player hooked up to tv hdmi, then from tv i have optical chord going into 2003 old yamaha surround amp, the guy at yamaha says it will give 5.1, i suppose cause the hdmi from dvd is going into tv at 5.1 and above. anyone do this ever? the weird thing is that before I had a different dvd player with component only outlets going into a converter box and the other end of box was hdmi going to tv, then i used optical from tv to amp, and i used coaxial from dvd plyr to amp. when i had amp on dtv setting it was not coming out thru all spekarrs( i suppose the original feed was component analog from dvd plyr) but when i had amp setting on dvd it was 5.1 because of coaxial cable.

Optical can only pass lossy encoded surround.
My 1st try would be to connect DVD to AVR with HDMI and then AVR to display with another HDMI. Of course if you don't have those connections available you might be right back where you started and that may be the only option.

Also that TV would have to preserve the audio and pass it through to HDMI output. That's asking a lot. The HDMI copy protection folks would be looking to turn the whole thing off.

I use my TV's optical audio output to feed an AVR for local over-the-air HD channels . I discovered it also sends the audio out from any other TV inputs; satellite TV (HDMI), Universal player (HDMI), etc.

Back