HDMI to 5.1 analog audio extractor found

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandrix

Senior Surround Collector
QQ Supporter
On and off I see people looking for HDMI to 5.1 RCA audio converters/extracters. Previously I could only find the video and L/R audio extractors, but now a couple have popped up on Amazon.

I have an old 5.1 AVR that only accepts analog/RCA inputs and thought I could expand it's use a little by being able to convert from HDMI, so I've been looking on and off.

Description states that it will work in pass-through mode or will convert DTS/AC3 to 5.1 analog (pcm).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08814TNGF/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
hdmi converter.jpg

Until recently I've only been able to find the video/L-R output from HDMI converter boxes. This one must have been pretty new to Amazon. Still overpriced IMO but at least it's something.
I mean I've looked all over but in recent times is all I've found until this one showed up. Could always have missed something though.
REmember though this one only likely works in one direction...I don't think it will do analog to digital, just digital to analog.

I wouldn't trust the ratings on these devices unless verified by a third party.

Always good advice, but we are discussing a $50 consumer product here. ;)

I'm barely functional in math & audio science, but it's my understanding that the logarithmic decibel scale indicates the difference between 90 dB and 120 dB is a factor of 1,000.

Even if measurements are plus or minus 20%, in my example it's an indication of a significantly lower noise floor that would likely be audible.
Unless one believes the published specs are meaningless marketing lies.

With Amazon, you have 30 days to return a product for a refund for any reason, so not a lot of risk to giving one a try and seeing how it sounds in your system.

I'm barely functional in math & audio science, but it's my understanding that the logarithmic decibel scale indicates the difference between 90 dB and 120 dB is a factor of 1,000.

Even if measurements are plus or minus 20%, in my example it's an indication of a significantly lower noise floor that would likely be audible.
Unless one believes the published specs are meaningless marketing lies.
I seriously doubt that any D/A convertor running from an el cheapo wall wart PSU could achieve a SNR anything approaching -120dB

120 dB does seem pretty high....and I tend to agree with the comments. But I would say don't condemn the product out of hand.
With cheap electronics I think it's more a matter of what you're willing to tolerate vs price you're willing to pay. Throw in availability of / lack thereof competing products.
Also how well you can actually hear the difference. Sure, any cheap device with a high enough noise floor might immediately be noticeable, for sure.
With these devices, hard to say with out hearing them in action. Some of these cheap-priced devices have surprised me in the past (just speaking about stuff I have more experience with, like HDMI switches/splitters) while others were a disappointment.

I have often asked people how good do they really hear and surprisingly I have often got some sort of blowback for asking, when to me it's a perfectly rational question.

...or maybe the little voices really do come from the right rear speaker, IDK.

Haha, our hearing does degrade as we get older, not even considering cumulatuve damage from live concerts/standing beside a drum kit!!

I picked up a sony SACD player cheap that has analog outs: I will try using that as an HDMI-->analog converter, as the only sources I have that use HDMI are discs. It may have better specs too?

It needs a remote though, won't work without one. Keep forgetting to grab a universal unit when I'm out! Drifting off topic, sorry, carry on.

Are you talking in terms of audio power (as in speakers) or audio signal voltage?

In power, the decibel difference between 90 dB and 120 dB is a factor of 1,000.

In voltage, the decibel difference between 90 dB and 120 dB is a factor of 31.6.

Haha, our hearing does degrade as we get older, not even considering cumulatuve damage from live concerts/standing beside a drum kit!!

I picked up a sony SACD player cheap that has analog outs: I will try using that as an HDMI-->analog converter, as the only sources I have that use HDMI are discs. It may have better specs too?

It needs a remote though, won't work without one. Keep forgetting to grab a universal unit when I'm out! Drifting off topic, sorry, carry on.
Sounds perfectly relevant to me, and a good plan!
I finally solved my problem by moving my whole system into the room where my 2 main pc's are. It's all HDMI now. lol. Wife is retiring in a few weeks so I'm just heading off trouble.

Are you talking in terms of audio power (as in speakers) or audio signal voltage?

In power, the decibel difference between 90 dB and 120 dB is a factor of 1,000.

In voltage, the decibel difference between 90 dB and 120 dB is a factor of 31.6.
Thank you, sir. That's where I need some help.
When comparing signal to noise specs, which would apply?

A bit off topic but somewhat related:

I'm an old shortwave listener buff. In those days a wideband (10 kHz to 30 MHz) Drake R7 receiver (1980) would set you back $1500+ and was considered king for us at the consumer grade level. It had the best specifications with the Japanese rigs coming in close behind for similar prices. Of course professional receivers were available if you were willing to dish out $5-10K+. Then digital technology showed up and the first generation of Software Defined Radios (SDR) came on the scene and the specs blew the doors off these classic legacy receivers. But you had to pay for it in prices starting at $3,000+, not including the PC computer.

I've been out of the hobby for many years but recently had a look around out of curiosity and my jaw dropped. Today you can buy a wideband SDR as big as a business card you can slip in your shirt pocket for $200 with specs that smokes ANY non-SDR consumer shortwave receiver out there today. Some SDR's receive 1kHz to 2GHz and are build on a PC USB dongle for $40 - Mindboggling.

Just sayin'

I'd buy this HDMI extractor if it wasn't from a China seller.

Last edited:
Any HDMI audio interface product like this with only unbalanced rca outputs is going to be hot garbage. However, a "real" audio interface (USB, firewire, or thunderbolt connecting) with 6 or more outputs will usually start in the $300 range. So... $29.99 for a HDMI unbalanced interface? Might still be a good deal! Don't buy this as an audiophile product. But it probably sounds better than it should, frankly. Stock converters in professional products - even the low budget ones - are really solid nowadays. But that's in "pro" products. These are the kind of rogue Amazon or Worst Purchase products that make an exception to that rule and truly excel at sucking.

Still might be worth $30. Don't pay more. Be ready to futz around with formats for the HDMI input. It may only work at 48k sample rate. It might only read 2.0 and 5.1 and nothing in between. For some random examples of common issues.

Any HDMI audio interface product like this with only unbalanced rca outputs is going to be hot garbage. However, a "real" audio interface (USB, firewire, or thunderbolt connecting) with 6 or more outputs will usually start in the $300 range. So... $29.99 for a HDMI unbalanced interface? Might still be a good deal! Don't buy this as an audiophile product. But it probably sounds better than it should, frankly. Stock converters in professional products - even the low budget ones - are really solid nowadays. But that's in "pro" products. These are the kind of rogue Amazon or Worst Purchase products that make an exception to that rule and truly excel at sucking.

Still might be worth $30. Don't pay more. Be ready to futz around with formats for the HDMI input. It may only work at 48k sample rate. It might only read 2.0 and 5.1 and nothing in between. For some random examples of common issues.
I'm glad you brought up the possible "gotcha's", I didn't even think about the sample rate might be fixed.
But before I buy things like this, don't care how cheap it is, I ask questions.
So far on Amazon I have always been answered if I push it, well except once recently that is. But it's always going to be Caveat Emptor for Chinese products on Amazon.

Until recently I've only been able to find the video/L-R output from HDMI converter boxes. This one must have been pretty new to Amazon. Still overpriced IMO but at least it's something.

Not new at all, i'm running this setup by nearly 6 years (changed the laptop for the small pc)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sonos-5-1.24862/post-371074
That Denon device was cloned by many with the only change of output 3,5 jack instead of plugs. Works like a charm.

Back