HDMI to 5.1 analog audio extractor found

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not new at all, i'm running this setup by nearly 6 years (changed the laptop for the small pc)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sonos-5-1.24862/post-371074
That Denon device was cloned by many with the only change of output 3,5 jack instead of plugs. Works like a charm.
Huh. Well it certainly eluded my search then, which btw sucks (Amazon's that is) . I must have looked at a hundred about a month ago and never saw a 6 port RCA out there or anywhere on the net except the video, l/r audio output ones. Go figger.

[/QUOTE]

Any HDMI audio interface product like this with only unbalanced rca outputs is going to be hot garbage. However, a "real" audio interface (USB, firewire, or thunderbolt connecting) with 6 or more outputs will usually start in the $300 range. So... $29.99 for a HDMI unbalanced interface? Might still be a good deal! Don't buy this as an audiophile product. But it probably sounds better than it should, frankly. Stock converters in professional products - even the low budget ones - are really solid nowadays. But that's in "pro" products. These are the kind of rogue Amazon or Worst Purchase products that make an exception to that rule and truly excel at sucking.

Still might be worth $30. Don't pay more. Be ready to futz around with formats for the HDMI input. It may only work at 48k sample rate. It might only read 2.0 and 5.1 and nothing in between. For some random examples of common issues.
[/QUOTE]

I have owned many of these cheap extractors, as well as the only expensive one I know of, the Essence Evolve II, and have done a fair amount of A-B comparisons between them with Apple TV 4K 2021 and Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu Ray as sources to a circa early 2000’s all analog surround music rig. From the extractor, my chain is Zektor 6 RCA Switch > Outlaw ICBM analog bass manager > Audio Refinement Pre 5 > Audio Refinement Multi 5 amp (where I match the levels) > 5 matched Monitor Audio Bronze B4 floorstanding speakers. Admittedly, there are a lot of unbalanced connections here, but they add up to less than 6 feet of interconnects from DAC to power amp. I’m assuming this sounds better than the vast majority of AVR’s. The only thing I can’t do is Atmos or Auro3D.

To my ears, the HDMI to 7.1 boxes that only convert PCM to analog have a lower noise floor and fuller range than the ones that also load on DTS and/or DD decoding (ie. 5.1 Audio Rush type). I’ve also noticed that, among the 7.1 PCM to analog converters, the ones with RCA outputs had a stronger analog stage than the ones with 3.5mm outputs (ie Parts Express, Monoprice). Finally, I could detect no audible difference between the Evolve and the $50-$70 generic equivalent.

I do use a Scarlet 18i20 to convert USB audio, it’s great. I would be interested in a pro-audio interface that extracted hdmi audio from AppleTV and passed it out to monitor, but I don’t know of one.

Last edited:
I have owned many of these cheap extractors, as well as the only expensive one I know of, the Essence Evolve II, and have done a fair amount of A-B comparisons between them with Apple TV 4K 2021 and Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu Ray as sources to a circa early 2000’s all analog surround music rig. From the extractor, my chain is Zektor 6 RCA Switch > Outlaw ICBM analog bass manager > Audio Refinement Pre 5 > Audio Refinement Multi 5 amp (where I match the levels) > 5 matched Monitor Audio Bronze B4 floorstanding speakers. Admittedly, there are a lot of unbalanced connections here, but they add up to less than 6 feet of interconnects from DAC to power amp. I’m assuming this sounds better than the vast majority of AVR’s. The only thing I can’t do is Atmos or Auro3D.

To my ears, the HDMI to 7.1 boxes that only convert PCM to analog have a lower noise floor and fuller range than the ones that also load on DTS and/or DD decoding (ie. 5.1 Audio Rush type). I’ve also noticed that, among the 7.1 PCM to analog converters, the ones with RCA outputs had a stronger analog stage than the ones with 3.5mm outputs (ie Parts Express, Monoprice). Finally, I could detect no audible difference between the Evolve and the $50-$70 generic equivalent.

I do use a Scarlet 18i20 to convert USB audio, it’s great. I would be interested in a pro-audio interface that extracted hdmi audio from AppleTV and passed it out to monitor, but I don’t know of one.

Thanks for sharing the detailed info about your experience.

I was trying to remember the Essence Evolve, which IIRC @Kal Rubinson recommended, but didn't bother looking for it when the OP stated $50 was more than he wanted to pay. 💸
  • THD + N = .0001% at -115 dB s/n ratio
  • Note: Free Shipping in the USA. For export orders, please use this online order-form,
  • $299
Evolve II-4K HDMI v2.0 / Multi-Channel DAC - Essence For High Res Audio

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the detailed info about your experience.

I was trying to remember the Essence Evolve, which IIRC @Kal Rubinson recommended, but didn't bother looking for it when the OP stated $50 was more than he wanted to pay. 💸
  • THD + N = .0001% at -115 dB s/n ratio
  • Note: Free Shipping in the USA. For export orders, please use this online order-form,
Evolve II-4K HDMI v2.0 / Multi-Channel DAC - Essence For High Res Audio

Those are really impressive specs, but reading the manual, I think they actually refer to the digital SPIDF transcode and not the analog conversion which was listed at like 85db. At any rate, I do not believe it has been independently tested/verified. I also read Kal's review, but I don't recall a comparison to similar devices. This is what the DAC I found to sound indistinguishable to it looks like - of course who knows if they are all the same (I have owned 3 from 3 different sellers and they all sound the same to me, though one had a faulty solder on one of the RCA jacks). I am a professional classical musician, and I would be happy to pay more for something better if I could hear the difference. I do believe the Evolve passes 4k HDR video, which is surely well worth the added expense if you have that kind of monitor.

Those are really impressive specs, but reading the manual, I think they actually refer to the digital SPIDF transcode and not the analog conversion which was listed at like 85db. At any rate, I do not believe it has been independently tested/verified. I also read Kal's review, but I don't recall a comparison to similar devices. This is what the DAC I found to sound indistinguishable to it looks like - of course who knows if they are all the same (I have owned 3 from 3 different sellers and they all sound the same to me, though one had a faulty solder on one of the RCA jacks). I am a professional classical musician, and I would be happy to pay more for something better if I could hear the difference. I do believe the Evolve passes 4k HDR video, which is surely well worth the added expense if you have that kind of monitor.
Thanks for the link. I just moved a 5.1 analog only input AVR to the TV area, could be handy for getting some 5.1 sound back after I robbed all the Audio equipment and put it in another room.
Before I had the firestick plugged directly into the AVR but no HDMI on those old analog AVR's.

Here I'm still trying to figure out how to connect Surround Master to my Denon, which obviously does not have 7.1 analog inputs......I need a device like you all are talking about, only it needs 7.1 analog in (not out) Surprised there isn't such a device.

Or is there?

Here I'm still trying to figure out how to connect Surround Master to my Denon, which obviously does not have 7.1 analog inputs......I need a device like you all are talking about, only it needs 7.1 analog in (not out) Surprised there isn't such a device.

Or is there?
What’s your Denon? For Surround Master, you really need a preamp or AVR with MCH analog in. Even if you found something that digitized the SM output, the result would be far from ideal after two D>A conversions.

What’s your Denon? For Surround Master, you really need a preamp or AVR with MCH analog in. Even if you found something that digitized the SM output, the result would be far from ideal after two D>A conversions.
AVR 4400H. Yes, I realize an AVR with MCH analog in is ideal. Only, I don't have that, and I'm super happy with my AVR. When you say, pre-amp. Give me some ideas what you mean, and how would it fit into what I have?

Pretty sure this doesn’t actually accept MCH analog input, just 5.1 via SPDIF. Most of those RCA jacks are for component video.
Yup. I took alook at the MFG'er product page and user manual. It says 8 input, 3 of which are HDMI. The only inputs worth considering is the first two that have 5 RCA input jacks each. Three are for component video & 2 ch analog. So if you plug left front into the Y input, right front into Pb, etc, there's no way the output woulkd be correct for the AVR to unscramble this. Good box if you wanted to plug older Xbox, PS, DVD player & have a single HDMI output. No where does the specs say 5.1 MCH input capable.

The Behringer looks interesting but then I don't see an HDMI output on it to hook to GOS's AVR.

The Behringer looks interesting but then I don't see an HDMI output on it to hook to GOS's AVR.
Both products include audio interface function and are meant to be connected to a host computer. You'd go straight thunderbolt or HDMI from the computer to an AVR.

You'd use a straight audio interface and your own amps as the alternative to an "all in one box" AVR.

AVR 4400H. Yes, I realize an AVR with MCH analog in is ideal. Only, I don't have that, and I'm super happy with my AVR. When you say, pre-amp. Give me some ideas what you mean, and how would it fit into what I have?
Is this the same as the X4400h? If so, you have no option I suspect you are going to like. You must use your 4400h as a pre-amp only and bypass the internal amplifiers. You would run your audio out of the MCH Pre-Outs to external power amplifiers for all of your channels. If the SM has stereo passthrough support, then you would put it between the AVR and these external amps, and connect its surround outputs and the 4400h pre-out surround outputs to an RCA switch. The external amps would probably sound better than the amp stage of the 4400r, but this is a big project.

Both products include audio interface function and are meant to be connected to a host computer. You'd go straight thunderbolt or HDMI from the computer to an AVR.

You'd use a straight audio interface and your own amps as the alternative to an "all in one box" AVR.
Yes, but those of us trying to avoid the all-in-one AVR box are still left without HDMI support without existing extractors. Not sure why someone with HDMI support built in their AVR would even be looking for an HDMI extractor.

Last edited:
Yes, but those of us trying to avoid the all-in-one AVR box are still left without HDMI support without existing extractors. Not sure why someone with HDMI support built in their AVR would even be looking for an HDMI extractor.
Because of the hundreds of posts from members running antique legacy or expensive modern AVRs with analog ins and outs who rave about how 50 year old matrix encoded vinyl sounds with a not-inexpensive surround master (TM) patched in as the decoder?

Many of whom simultaneously rave about Atmos ceiling speakers and extra floor surrounds. While ripping their physical media to stream from a computer. 🎯 @GOS

The designer of the surround master in fact pooh-poohs the idea of center channels. It was designed for quad, but he grudgingly added center and LFE channels for the miserable underclass who don‘t own four matched Nakamichi dragon electrostatic speakers and have a proper listening room to appreciate them fully. 😉
@chucky3042

All a surround master can process is a stereo pair, analog or now with a stereo optical option.

I’m sure to be corrected if I’ve gotten any detail wrong, which I’ll accept gratefully & humbly from this friendly group.

We want it all until reality sets in.
Lunatics is what we are, let’s face it.

:51QQ

Last edited:
Back